all's fair in war and cash

Reply Fri 23 Jan, 2004 08:42 am
WASHINGTON - Halliburton Co. (HAL) has told the Pentagon that two employees took kickbacks valued at up to $6 million in return for awarding a Kuwaiti-based company with lucrative work supplying U.S. troops in Iraq, Friday's Wall Street Journal reported.
The disclosure is the first firm indication of corruption involving U.S.- funded projects in Iraq and raises new questions about Halliburton's dealings there. The company's work already is being scrutinized because of accusations that the U.S. government was overcharged for gasoline under another controversial contract.
Halliburton has strenuously defended its Iraq work as fairly priced and free of taint. A discovery of kickbacks could expose the company to hefty fines and other punishments such as potential fraud charges. At the least, contracting experts say, Halliburton will be required to reimburse the money.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 425 • Replies: 4
No top replies

roger

Reply Fri 23 Jan, 2004 09:21 am
Sure. Get caught stealing, so give the stuff back and everything's okay again.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 23 Jan, 2004 10:15 am
Hey, that's not how it work in the licquor store robbery i . . . uhm, i mean, i heard about . . .
0 Replies

Acquiunk

Reply Fri 23 Jan, 2004 10:55 am
Liquor store? you were (whomever) was thinking too small. Above a certain amount it becomes a business expense and a local cultural practice.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 23 Jan, 2004 11:59 am
Hah ! ! !

Good one, Boss--when i lived in Illinois, i became convinced that for a certain class of the uneducated, liquor stores were considered to be ATM's for those who had no bank account . . .
0 Replies