Sun 30 Oct, 2011 06:29 am
@farmerman,
Now, dont get me goin on HARD CIDERS. Thats the real AMerican brew
0 Replies

contrex

Sun 30 Oct, 2011 06:52 am
@farmerman,
farmerman wrote:
I drank the Guiness and diswcovered that it wasnt a beverage, it was a meal.

In the UK, back in the 1970s, before alcohol advertising TV was banned, the commercial (non-BBC) networks ran an ad which showed a couple of Irish guys drinking pints of Guinness. One says "They say Guinness is ninety-nine per cent water". The other takes an incredulous look into his glass and says "Never!"
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Sun 30 Oct, 2011 08:54 am
@farmerman,
When I was a pup I was not a fan of Guinness, but developed a taste for it as I grew older. I quite like the draught can with the nitrogen widget, and I was surprised to find out recently that it's a relatively "light" beer in terms of carbs and calories.
patiodog

Sun 30 Oct, 2011 09:16 am
What temperature I want is totally dependent on the type of beer -- the more body it's got, the warmer I want it (up to the aforementioned "cellar" temp, I suppose). And if it's summer and I'm in the mood for one of those cheap American piss beers (usually PBR or Simpler Times, 'cuz they're both made nearby), I like it best ice cold in a frosty glass. If it's winter and I've managed to get my hands on a bottle of Snow Cap, I'll let it sit out in the kitchen for a few minutes before I get to drinking on it. (If I'm feeling patient, anyway.)

Digressively, though, I have to say that the thick frosty mug that's been kept in the freezer is a major childhood sense memory for me -- takes me back to dad's after-softball drinking sessions at Station 108 pizzeria on the highway home, where I'd sneak sips and the Spanish olives from everybody's mug. Summer there was very hot and dry, though, so maybe there is a connection there.
hawkeye10

Sun 30 Oct, 2011 12:16 pm
@patiodog,
Quote:
usually PBR or Simpler Times, 'cuz they're both made nearby
In the same plant where Augsburger was once made. Have you even been to Monroe? I was going to Baumgartner's even as a wee little one, lots of memories Monroe baby swiss and mustard on rye sandwiches, my favorite.
hawkeye10

Sun 30 Oct, 2011 12:40 pm
@hawkeye10,
The connection is that both Baumgartener's and the beer plant were for a very long time both owned by the Huber family. They sold Baumgarteners in 1986 I think, the brewery in 2006. Larry the Cable Guy made a visit to Baumgartener's in the following clip:

http://www.history.com/shows/only-in-america-with-larry-the-cable-guy/videos/cheesehead-charity#cheesehead-charity

BTW- I also love me some Limburger...with onions and stone ground mustard on Rye please!
patiodog

Sun 30 Oct, 2011 02:10 pm
@hawkeye10,
Actually haven't made it down there -- did work a spay/neuter day where a Baumgartners bartender was volunteering, so now I need to get down there some weekday afternoon: he owes me a beer and a limberger and onion sammich...
hawkeye10

Sun 30 Oct, 2011 02:25 pm
@patiodog,
Too bad current owners ruined it...they use a marshmallow fake rye now (or did two years ago)...still worth the trip though. They make some good cheese in that town, check out the creamery store too.

If you are ever out in Olympia Wa and see a guy walking around in a Baumgartener's cap it is probably me, but more for good memories of when Huber owned it than now. We used to often drive up from Rockford on a weekend day just for some great sammies and beer. Huber used to put kegs of their stuff in there that was not available any other place but for maybe their Berghoff Restaurant in Chicago.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Sun 30 Oct, 2011 02:27 pm
@Ticomaya,
And alcohol content
0 Replies

ossobuco

Mon 31 Oct, 2011 12:29 pm
I don't drink beer all that often but in the hot summer in California and New Mexico, and even in February in Mexico, I like a relatively light beer like Pacifico cold. In northern california by the coast, often chilly and damp a lot of the year, I like dark ales room temp. In winter here in NM, I might have a Negro Modelo, which is a dark mexican beer, room temp. Where are the tortilla chips?
0 Replies

Agent1741

Mon 11 Jun, 2018 07:12 am
Hand pumped non carbonated beers should not be served ice cold, I think that would ruin the flavour. Lagers like Budweiser should be served cold as stout should be (Guiness etc)
0 Replies

oxenerangacc

Wed 24 Apr, 2019 11:35 pm
@hawkeye10,
Ice on beer would be great idea, I think many people want to put ice on there beers.
0 Replies