What is your Christian response to this?

Setanta

Reply Sat 29 Oct, 2011 03:16 pm
@Baldimo,
As i said, you'd be the expert on that subject, from personal experience. Try watching the movie some time, it's very entertaining, and you'll learn more about it than looking it up online. In fact, i recommend any film by Korusawa, especially The Hidden Fortress.
izzythepush

Reply Sun 30 Oct, 2011 08:44 am
@Setanta,
It's very nice of Baldino to present you with an 'A Douche' though. Is it a new line he's selling?
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Sun 30 Oct, 2011 08:53 am
@Baldimo,
Baldimo wrote:

Your refering to the Rashomon effect. Same event but different perspectives as seen by people.

I agree with you that this is a perfect example of a Rashomon effect. Doesn't change the fact, that they have been asked to not block road ways or bridges, they have been told that permits have expired and its time to move on. When they fail to comply the police will get involved. If they want to continue to ignore the police then they will have to pay the piper. Don't blame the police for doing their jobs. Isn't the left making sure the police stay on the job with Obama's new "Jobs Plan"? Why give them money to do their jobs and then get pissed at them when they do?

If you can't do the time, then don't do the crime.

@Set Your a douche.

You're absolutely correct, let the police do their jobs. I'd be interested in seeing where it says in their job description to handle these events by beating the **** out of people. There';s a difference between using physical strength to subdue someone, which would cause temporary pain, and fracturing their skulls and putting them in a ******* coma. However, if you can show me where it directs the police to use that kind of force in a situation where lives are not threatened I'm willing to be convinced.

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Sun 30 Oct, 2011 11:43 pm
@blueveinedthrobber,
Is there a reasonably certain objective explanation of how the man was injured?

There doesn't seem to be evidence that the police deliberately targeted his head with a projectile.

Is there an argument to be made that tear gas or flash grenades are inappropriate methods for crowd dispersion? Both are categorized as non-lethal.

The man's injury is very unfortunate, irrespective of whether or not he served in the military, but was it a terrible accident, a case of negligence, or an intentional act?

When the police tell a crowd to disperse, and it refuses to do so, what is the appropriate response for the police? Obviously endlessly repeating the dispersal order will be ineffectual. How can the police allow their authority to be flaunted?

If tear gas and flash grenades are too extreme, what methodology is permissible?

Is there no point when the city can say: "Ok, time for you all to go home?"
maxdancona

Reply Mon 31 Oct, 2011 07:29 am
@Finn dAbuzz,
Quote:
When the police tell a crowd to disperse, and it refuses to do so, what is the appropriate response for the police? Obviously endlessly repeating the dispersal order will be ineffectual. How can the police allow their authority to be flaunted?

The primary duty of the Police is to serve and protect. And protect means to protect their community not to protect some kind of wounded pride about their "authority" being "flaunted".

The police should act in the way that is best for their community, and this means they should minimize the chance of someone getting physically hurt -- even if it means the police feelings might be hurt.

The police has a whole range of options ranging from letting people stay while they watch (which in my opinion is what they should have done), to using gentler methods of removal.

The police chose this course of action which included gas, flying projectiles and flash bang grenades. When the police choose this action, the consequences belong to them.

The community does not have a sworn duty to serve and protect the police. It is the police that have a sworn duty to serve and protect the community. Tossing gas and flash bang grenades into a peaceful (if defiant) protest is difficult to square with this responsibility.
blueveinedthrobber

Reply Mon 31 Oct, 2011 08:31 am
I think the fact that this thread has turned into a discussion of who's right and who's wrong.... did these hippies deserve it or are the cops pigs... is way off track. The simple answer is that the Christian, and more generally decent human being response should be that regardless of circumstances or blame, people getting the **** kicked out of them by the police, AND people throwing **** at and taunting the police.... is a damn shame and there's nothing in any of this that suggests ANYONE is following the message of Christ. If people followed the admonishments of Christ's words none of this **** would be happening in the first place.
maxdancona

Reply Mon 31 Oct, 2011 06:13 pm
@blueveinedthrobber,
I am neither a Christian nor a generally decent human being. Should I be kicking the **** out of hippies or throwing **** at police?

Is there any way I could do both?

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Tue 1 Nov, 2011 05:10 am
@maxdancona,
maxdancona wrote:

I am neither a Christian nor a generally decent human being. Should I be kicking the **** out of hippies or throwing **** at police?

Is there any way I could do both?

nor am I... you can do both if you like.... I choose to do neither... unless of course I'm one of the people you attempt to kick the **** out of.... then you'll be meeting Jesus face to face.
Baldimo

Reply Tue 1 Nov, 2011 10:25 am
@blueveinedthrobber,
Why is it that non-Christians are always concerned with peoples "Christian response" to issues like this, but could careless about their "Christian response" to other issues that actually mean something to Christians?

Setanta

Reply Tue 1 Nov, 2011 10:47 am
I tagged this thread "Bait thread," although it's gotten pushed out by the other tags. People like this joker have got an unhealthy obsession. Anyone who's been paying attention over the years will know i'm no fan of the christians. I don't like the rest of those fanatical religious sons-of-bitches, either. But the majority of adherents to any religioius confession are harmless. People like the OP here are just stirring the turd.
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Tue 1 Nov, 2011 03:18 pm
@Baldimo,
be clear would ya? Seriously.
Baldimo

Reply Wed 2 Nov, 2011 05:32 pm
@blueveinedthrobber,
Its already pretty clear.
0 Replies

jcboy

Reply Sat 24 Dec, 2011 11:07 am
This is good news, the old dinosaur is dying off, here in the south lots of younger people are attending "cool" churches that have rock music and a laid back moral atmosphere, they will say they don't even discuss homosexuality in their churches, they say "its up to god to judge"...ugh...which is progress I suppose.

http://www.cnn.com/2011/12/16/opinion/stepp-millennials-church/index.html
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Sat 24 Dec, 2011 02:12 pm
In the spirit of the Season , my Christian spirit directs me to buy Baldimo and Finn a Christmas drink. Have a vinegar and water on me and Set.
Finn dAbuzz

Reply Wed 28 Dec, 2011 01:05 am
@blueveinedthrobber,
How Christian of you Bipo!

It's always quite moving to see Christian spirit expressed so honestly.

However, I'm not a Christian and so I so I don't find it in the least hypocritical to offer you a drink from Serrano's Piss Christ..

Cut it with vinegar or whatever other liquid suits your taste.
revelette

Reply Wed 28 Dec, 2011 08:15 am
@maxdancona,
I put a thumbs up on your posts, but I am seriously wondering what would be the gentler forms of removal? I don't agree with tear gas on protesters who are just refusing to move, much less beating someone about the head, but I am wondering what would work?

On the question, I think the question should have been, what is your humane response to this. The offense did not justify the action.

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Wed 28 Dec, 2011 09:24 am
@Finn dAbuzz,
Finn dAbuzz wrote:

How Christian of you Bipo!

It's always quite moving to see Christian spirit expressed so honestly.

However, I'm not a Christian and so I so I don't find it in the least hypocritical to offer you a drink from Serrano's Piss Christ..

Cut it with vinegar or whatever other liquid suits your taste.

I don't claim to be a Christian either but rather a person who believes in God and in the message and suggestions on how to live a decent life attributed to Christ. I do claim to have a sense of humor though.
0 Replies

PUNKEY

Reply Wed 28 Dec, 2011 09:36 am
Jesus trashed the market place when protesting the way the vendors were cheating the customers. (He also was often short-tempered with others.)

All this protesting is not new or different. The responses are.
0 Replies

reasoning logic

Reply Wed 28 Dec, 2011 10:43 am
@revelette,
Quote:
I think the question should have been, what is your humane response to this. The offense did not justify the action.

That is a good question but the reason I posted "What is your Christian response to this? is because I know many Christians want to be as ethical as they can but I have not seen the amount of Christian responses to the occupy movement by them that I would think this large number of Christians would show.
I would expect a huge cry out for change from true Christians.

I posted this video again because it is no longer on the 1st page

revelette

Reply Fri 30 Dec, 2011 09:25 am
@reasoning logic,
actually I think they are few self proclaimed Christians in this forum even among the conservatives. It kind of surprised me to read finn wasn't one.

On the whole I think this discussion belongs on the philosophy or religious threads but I understand your point. Republican conservative Christians do seem to espouse different views than the words in red in the NT of the Bible. More Paul and OT views. I'm a Christian and go to church most every week, but I admit here anonymously (lol) that I have always have had a hard time reconciling Jesus Lillies of the field parable to Paul's saying of don't work neither should you eat.