How are the Halloween costumes coming along this year?

Butrflynet

Reply Sat 29 Oct, 2011 07:22 pm
http://a6.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/304249_280967301933889_253538371343449_941353_808166597_n.jpg
0 Replies

mismi

Reply Sat 29 Oct, 2011 07:28 pm
@boomerang,
Baby A is going as Napoleon Dynamite, Baby B is going as Kip before LaFonda and Baby C is going as Pedro. I just have these devil horn barettes I put in my hair and go from there. Pretty darn easy.

http://i564.photobucket.com/albums/ss83/mismi40/th_PicturesJulythroughOctober117-1.jpg
Rockhead

Reply Sat 29 Oct, 2011 07:55 pm
@mismi,
you wear something besides the barrettes, right?

mismi

Reply Sat 29 Oct, 2011 08:02 pm
@Rockhead,
Apparently I thought that went without saying. Rolling Eyes

Good grief. Wink
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Sun 30 Oct, 2011 06:49 am
listening to a radio show on friday, one of the guys is wearing a 3 piece suit and covering himself with little rubber octopus, he's going as Octopi Wall Street
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Sun 30 Oct, 2011 02:33 pm
Stupid weather is not cooperating. It's gonna be cold and maybe rainy tomorrow.

Supernova costume is done (I ended up downsizing the skirt a little bit, as planned it was so big as to be a bit impractical, now it's just a full skirt, still using the hoop). She wore it to a mostly-indoor party last night, it worked out pretty well.

She went to a Harry Potter-themed party on Friday as Bellatrix -- that consisted of basically black clothes she already owned, an amazing BCBG black velvet short-sleeved fitted jacket I found at a thrift store for cheap, originally $220 (still had tags), some jet bead necklaces, black faux-leather knee-high boots she already had, a swirly black velvet cape (cheap @ the local CVS), black eyeliner and her hair done to induce maximum curliness. And a menacing look.

She can wear a real winter coat between the jacket and the cape and still look in character, so she may wear that for trick-or-treating.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Mon 31 Oct, 2011 08:55 am
We decorated our yard, Mame. Our "gardener" turned out really scarey this year. It's a mark of honor among the little kids on the block to run up and touch it. (I usually have to bring them up in the yard and show them how it's put together before they'll do that.)

I heard about the weather up that way, Soz. Bummer. I'm glad you have a backup costume. Still, I hope it's the Supernova that gets to hit the street tonight.

Mo went to a costume party last night. It was his first "official" boy-girl house party. He had so much fun!
sozobe

Reply Mon 31 Oct, 2011 09:09 am
@boomerang,
Aw, yay on the fun party!

The Sat night one was boy-girl too, with dancing and everything. Tons of fun.

She wore pants under the supernova skirt and just took off the skirt to play "Ghosts in the Graveyard." (A version of tag, as far as I can tell.) (The skirt is not conducive to sprinting.)

It's cold (45 degrees) and rainy right now, so annoying. 90% chance of rain during trick-or-treating hours. Maybe changing to SNOW. Bah humbug.

Sozlet really wants to t-o-t as the supernova, I might rig up a gold sparkly cape from skirt remnants. We'll see.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Mon 31 Oct, 2011 09:16 am
Yaya is a gypsy/fortune teller. White puffy shirt, black skirt, boots, purple scarves, gold bangles and necklace, and "crystal ball."

Keetah's an angel. White dress from a dance recital, white wings, halo.

Buddy's been a cupid (wings, bow, arrow, white onesie), but with the weather change will likely be a "monstah." (Store-bought)

Like this, but sized for an 18 month-old:
http://resources.shopstyle.com/sim/4e/ef/4eefb295abb9aac78039760af69b17b1/old-navy-kids-clothes-monster-costumes-for-baby.jpg
sozobe

Reply Mon 31 Oct, 2011 09:49 am
@DrewDad,
Awwww......!!!!

What's the crystal ball?

I just went to Old Navy and got an ivory (pretty thick) fleecy vest. I'll sew on a bunch of star sequins (which I have). With fleece pants underneath the skirt and gloves she should be minimally OK for a while, she's always warmer than I would be in similar circumstances.

Just hope it's not actually raining, that's a whole other ballgame.
DrewDad

Reply Mon 31 Oct, 2011 10:02 am
@sozobe,
It's a liquid-filled ball that has an LED that starts to flash when the ball is bounced.
Linkat

Reply Mon 31 Oct, 2011 10:06 am
This is my older daughter's costume

http://familyfun.go.com/assets/cms/crafts/slam-dunk-crafts-photo-260x260-FF1011COSTUM_A13.jpg

My younger is going as a soft ball player (Jennie Fitch if asked).

I tried some of my wierd ideas, but alas they just find me odd.
DrewDad

Reply Mon 31 Oct, 2011 10:10 am
@sozobe,
Both of Sozlet's costumes sound cool. We just finished HP and the Sorcerer's Stone over the weekend, so they haven't encountered Bellatrix yet.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Mon 31 Oct, 2011 01:23 pm
@DrewDad,
We have one of those too! Same purpose. I helped out at the HP-themed party and I was Profesor Trelawny. She doesn't appear for a while either -- she's the Divination professor. (And always very very gloomy. I had a lot of fun telling terrible fortunes for all of the partygoers. Smile At one point, mid-fortune, someone was sitting agains the door and it suddenly shut with a bang and everyone jumped about five feet in the air. It was awesome.)

Weather's looking up a bit! Still cold but actual sun occasionally, and no rain. I think the fleecy vest might do it.
Linkat

Reply Tue 1 Nov, 2011 09:14 am
@Linkat,
Believe it or not this costume was quite a hit - everyone loved trying to get a basket - she would have the net above her treat bag thus allowing everyone to shoot her treat into the hoop.
Mame

Reply Tue 1 Nov, 2011 09:34 am
@sozobe,
Well, I bought four bags/boxes of candy and have about 3 left Sad From 6:45 to 7:25, I got a dozen little ones all dressed up, with their parents, then I got two 12 yr old girls, barely dressed up, then about an hour later, 5 13 yr old boys came, dressed as themselves. Bummer.
boomerang

Reply Tue 1 Nov, 2011 09:37 am
@Linkat,
Ohhhh! Interactive costuming! I'm going to think on that a bit for next year....
boomerang

Reply Tue 1 Nov, 2011 09:41 am
@Mame,
We had TONS of trick or treaters. I didn't expect such a big crowd with it being a weekday but the weather was perfect and the kids were out in force.

We always have a little bonfire in the front yard so that Mo and his pals can cook hotdogs which seems to be the only way we can get actual food type stuff into their bodies on Halloween. This year a couple of kids stopped by, having remembered us from last year, asking if they could have hot dogs. They cooked their hot dogs and chatted with us for a bit. When I was cleaning up last night I found that they'd left money to pay for their hot dogs!
sozobe

Reply Tue 1 Nov, 2011 09:47 am
@boomerang,
Yeah, that has potential!

Mame, I had the opposite problem, we were swamped including with kids brought in from other communities (people I don't know). Usually I can leave the bowl unattended and the local kids will take their allotted 1-2 pieces, the imports were taking handfuls and even though I had a lot of candy it was going way too fast. Had to stand sentry. Grr.

Managed to still have a little on hand at the end once I was there actually handing stuff out.

Sozlet + pals went out on their own for the first time, they had a blast.

Boomer, I took some pics, my real camera died though (sob) so they're all bad Blackberry pics. Still give an idea. I'll send via PM.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Tue 1 Nov, 2011 09:51 am
@boomerang,
boomerang wrote:

When I was cleaning up last night I found that they'd left money to pay for their hot dogs!

Oh that's awesome!
0 Replies