Must Scientific Knowledge Be Considered Relative?

JLNobody

Reply Sat 29 Oct, 2011 10:22 pm
@cicerone imposter,
I think it safe to say that Thomas and C.I. are both right in that there ARE statistical models and instruments that permit us to make predictions--or at least account for some of the "variance"--in some economic and meteorlogical patterns. And there are many "problem-situations" too complex/rich in variables for us to make predictions adequate to our needs.
0 Replies

wandeljw

Reply Tue 1 Nov, 2011 09:39 am
In the late nineteenth century, Nietzsche wrote: "Against that positivism which stops before phenomena, saying 'there are only facts,' I should say: no, it is precisely facts that do not exist, only interpretations."

Nietzsche's statement seems to typify views about the relativity of scientific knowledge.
joefromchicago

Reply Tue 1 Nov, 2011 09:51 am
@wandeljw,
wandeljw wrote:

In the late nineteenth century, Nietzsche wrote: "Against that positivism which stops before phenomena, saying 'there are only facts,' I should say: no, it is precisely facts that do not exist, only interpretations."

Depends on what he meant by "facts."
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Tue 1 Nov, 2011 09:53 am
@wandeljw,
There you go with your philosophers again. Don't you know what kind of people they are? Including Nietsche?

JLNobody

Reply Tue 1 Nov, 2011 09:54 am
@wandeljw,
Yes, relativism indeed--an unequivocal rejection of all things absolute. With this dictum we come to Nietzsche's revolutionary stress on perspectivism, interpretivism and the reality that facts are really little theories. For this reason Nietzsche is the most influential and seminal thinker of the so-called Post-Modern Era.
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Tue 1 Nov, 2011 10:00 am
@Thomas,
What I like about "philosophers," including those on A2K, is that they take life seriously. They do not confine themselves to the constant pursuit of distraction. What's that about the "unexamined life.....?"
0 Replies

wandeljw

Reply Tue 1 Nov, 2011 06:13 pm
@Thomas,
I know they get rowdy sometimes but they are fun to talk to. Joefromchicago should have been mentioned in that video. Smile
JLNobody

Reply Tue 1 Nov, 2011 11:13 pm
@wandeljw,
Yes, I always look foward to what they (Thomas and Joe) are going to say next.
0 Replies

wandeljw

Reply Thu 3 Nov, 2011 09:23 am
There is debate among sociologists who study the practice of science between two different approaches. "Natural realism" starts with the existence of objects to explain why humans agree about them. "Social realism," on the contrary, starts with aspects of society to explain how humans collectively settle on matters of fact.
JLNobody

Reply Thu 3 Nov, 2011 12:09 pm
@wandeljw,
As I recall, the "natural realist" may be considered an expression of naive realism. Social theories on the other side, the so-called existential or social construction sociologists and symbolic interactionists refer to the former as "variable" analysists, criticising them for their excessive emphasis on abstracted variables. I think the "natural realists" consider the social construction people to be unscientific and fuzzy or impressionistic in their approach and they are criticized in turn for falsifying their subject matter--social behavior, converting complex and meaning-laden phenomena into neopositivistic variables or "facts."
0 Replies

wandeljw

Reply Thu 3 Nov, 2011 04:08 pm
I came across an article in a 1988 journal of feminist studies titled: "The importance of feminist critique for contemporary cell biology." The authors are listed as Beldecos, Gilbert, Hicks, Kenschaft, Rosenberg, Schaertel, and Wedel.

Quote:
Abstract
Biology is seen not merely as a privileged oppressor of women but as a co-victim of masculinist social assumptions. We see feminist critique as one of the normative controls that any scientist must perform whenever analyzing data, and we seek to demonstrate what has happened when this control has not been utilized. Narratives of fertilization and sex determination traditionally have been modeled on the cultural patterns of male/female interaction, leading to gender associations being placed on cells and their components. We also find that when gender biases are controlled, new perceptions of these intracellular and extracellular relationships emerge.
0 Replies

wandeljw

Reply Fri 4 Nov, 2011 11:23 am
Quote:
Social Constructivism

One outcome of the historical turn in the philosophy of science and its emphasis on scientific practice was a focus on the complex social interactions that inevitably surround and infuse the generation of scientific knowledge. Relations between experts, their students, and the public, collaboration and competition between individuals and institutions, and social, economic, and political contexts, became the subjects of an approach to studying the sciences known as the sociology of scientific knowledge, or SSK. Though in theory, a commitment to studying the sciences from a sociological perspective is interpretable in such a way as to be neutral with respect to realism, in practice, most accounts of science inspired by SSK are implicitly or explicitly antirealist. This antirealism in practice stems from the common suggestion that once one appreciates the role that social factors (using this as a generic term for the sorts of interactions and contexts indicated above) play in the production of scientific knowledge, a philosophical commitment to some form of “social constructivism” is inescapable, and this latter commitment is inconsistent with various aspects of realism.

The term ‘social construction’ refers to any knowledge-generating process in which what counts as a fact is substantively determined by social factors, and in which different social factors would likely generate facts that are inconsistent with what is actually produced. The important implication here is thus a counterfactual claim about the dependence of facts on social factors. There are numerous ways in which social determinants may be consistent with realism; for example, social factors might determine the directions and methodologies of research permitted, encouraged, and funded, but this by itself need not undermine a realist attitude with respect to the outputs of scientific work. Often, however, work in SSK takes the form of case studies that aim to demonstrate how particular decisions affecting scientific work were influenced by social factors which, had they been different, would have facilitated results that are inconsistent with those ultimately accepted as scientific fact.

From: Chakravartty, Anjan, "Scientific Realism", The Stanford Encyclopedia of Philosophy
Thomas

Reply Sat 5 Nov, 2011 07:44 pm
@wandeljw,
wandeljw wrote:
Though in theory, a commitment to studying the sciences from a sociological perspective is interpretable in such a way as to be neutral with respect to realism, in practice, most accounts of science inspired by SSK are implicitly or explicitly antirealist. This antirealism in practice stems from the common suggestion that once one appreciates the role that social factors (using this as a generic term for the sorts of interactions and contexts indicated above) play in the production of scientific knowledge, a philosophical commitment to some form of “social constructivism” is inescapable, and this latter commitment is inconsistent with various aspects of realism.

Sociologists are welcome to believe this if it sits well with their social dynamics among each other. But reality doesn't go away just because sociologists of scientists don't believe in it.
wandeljw

Reply Sat 5 Nov, 2011 08:44 pm
@Thomas,
Harry Collins, a professor of sociology at Cardiff University, sees natural science as a social construction where scientists construct their own reality.
Thomas

Reply Sat 5 Nov, 2011 08:49 pm
@wandeljw,
What does Harry Collins see sociology as?
wandeljw

Reply Sat 5 Nov, 2011 08:54 pm
@Thomas,
His position is self-refuting according to critics such as Susan Haack, a philosophy professor at Miami University. According to Haack, the school of sociology to which Collins belongs treat their own discipline as if it was totally unbiased.
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Sat 5 Nov, 2011 08:55 pm
@wandeljw,
PS: I have no problem recognizing that all science is a social construction. What I do have a problem with is is when bad sociologists and their vulgar-philosophical hangers-on jump from there to the reverse conclusion, that all social constructions are science. (Often they state the conclusion implicitly rather than spelling it out.) An arbitrary social construction may appear like a scientific conjecture, but it's almost guaranteed to be bogus rather than science.
JLNobody

Reply Sat 5 Nov, 2011 10:26 pm
@Thomas,
That virtually all science is socially constructed is an important truth, but from that it is does not follow that all social constructions are scientific. But I've never heard any social theorist assert that they are.
wandeljw

Reply Sun 6 Nov, 2011 06:51 am
@JLNobody,
JLNobody wrote:

That virtually all science is socially constructed is an important truth, but from that it is does not follow that all social constructions are scientific. But I've never heard any social theorist assert that they are.

How important is social construction? Doesn't scientific knowledge reveal facts about nature that exist independently of any social construction?
fresco

Reply Sun 6 Nov, 2011 08:34 am
@wandeljw,
"Facts" are social constructions. They are selected statements of "significance" and statements are by definition social acts.