Must Scientific Knowledge Be Considered Relative?

fresco

Reply Wed 13 Jul, 2016 03:23 pm
@AugustineBrother,
Try reading a bit of Nietzsche on the futility of distinguishing between 'appearance' and 'reality'. My use of 'ultimately' is the acknowledgement of that futility with respect to the related dichotomy of 'subjective-objective'.

BTW. Your monk's habit is showing somewhat when you use words like 'gift' and 'miracle' ! Wink
cicerone imposter

Reply Wed 13 Jul, 2016 03:26 pm
All one needs to do is apply the definition of science to understand what can be considered relative.
AugustineBrother

Reply Wed 13 Jul, 2016 03:54 pm
@cicerone imposter,
There is no definition of Science. Nor is science all one thing.
Even accepting your false premises there is no reason to use the word 'relative' because science often is giving us a picture for understanding without saying that it is giving us an explanation. Gravity is a great example.
AugustineBrother

Reply Wed 13 Jul, 2016 03:56 pm
@fresco,
Even that great atheist and scientist Bertrand Russell would disagree with your naivete.

So Nietzsche is the great scientist. Well show me where Russell is wrong here.

Nietzsche alludes habitually to ordinary human beings as the “bungled and botched,” and sees no objection to their suffering if it is necessary for the production of a great man. Thus the whole importance of the period from 1789 to 1815 is summed up in Napoleon: “The Revolution made Napoleon possible: that is its justification…”

It is necessary for higher men to make war upon the masses, and resist the democratic tendencies of the age, for in all directions mediocre people are joining hands to make themselves masters… He regards compassion as a weakness to be combated… He prophesied with a certain glee an era of great wars; one wonders whether he would have been happy if he had lived to see the fulfillment of his prophecy.

There is a great deal in Nietzsche that must be dismissed as merely megalomaniac… It is obvious that in his day-dreams he is a warrior, not a professor; all the men he admires were military. His opinion of women, like every man’s, is an objectification of his own emotion towards them, which is obviously one of fear. “Forget not thy whip”–but nine women out of ten would get the whip away from him, and he knew it, so he kept away from women, and soothed his wounded vanity with unkind remarks.

He condemns Christian love because he thinks it is an outcome of fear… It does not occur to Nietzsche as possible that a man should genuinely feel universal love, obviously because he himself feels almost universal hatred and fear, which he would fain disguise as lordly indifference. His “noble” man–who is himself in day-dreams–is a being wholly devoid of sympathy, ruthless, cunning, concerned only with his own power. King Lear, on the verge of madness, says: “I will do such things–what they are yet I know not–but they shall be the terror of the earth.” This is Nietzsche’s philosophy in a nutshell.
fresco

Reply Wed 13 Jul, 2016 04:21 pm
@AugustineBrother,
I sympathize with your current attack of post-itis . However, your enthusiasm ( look up the etymology for this) tends to have you trying to swat a fly with a piece of polystyrene. The demise of Russellian thinking and later developments like logical positivism are epitomised by their rejection by his one time brilliant protege Wittgenstein who ended up in the Continental philosophy camp instigated by Nietzsche. (BTW Wittgenstein was religious believer).

Be that as it may, let me not keep you from your lazarus-esque mission of resurrecting dead threads. Perhaps that is the cross that self-proclaimed converts have bear in order to reify their own resurrection ! Smile
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Wed 13 Jul, 2016 04:45 pm
@AugustineBrother,
sci·ence
ˈsīəns/Submit
noun
the intellectual and practical activity encompassing the systematic study of the structure and behavior of the physical and natural world through observation and experiment.
"the world of science and technology"
synonyms: branch of knowledge, body of knowledge/information, area of study, discipline, field
"the science of criminology"
a particular area of this.
plural noun: sciences
"veterinary science"
a systematically organized body of knowledge on a particular subject.
"the science of criminology"
synonyms: physics, chemistry, biology; More
0 Replies

CVeigh

Reply Thu 11 Aug, 2016 12:37 pm
@wandeljw,
Both can be true and I think that in fact they are.

If I promote 2+2-4 for financial gain, 2+2 still equals 4.

I judge a person's commitment to science by their view of Freedom of Thought.

Anyone who supported the California Bill to criminalize public expressions against Global Warming is an enemy of Science.
0 Replies

Fil Albuquerque

Reply Wed 24 Aug, 2016 03:58 am
Scientific or not questions have scope depth and a finite extension, that is to mean focused context, they have an absolute precise answer in that specific fitting extent. Still they are relative to pov frames just like Einstein motion is.
0 Replies