HELP! Crashed 1997 Z3 Roadster and I don't know what to do.

Reply Thu 22 Jan, 2004 11:37 am
Shocked Help! I crashed my BMW Z3 Roadster Sunday night and was just informed it is totaled. Air bags, windshield, front left quarter panel, hood and nose clip destroyed. Car struck immovable object at about 25 mph. About 10 inches, toward the center from the passenger's side, was where it struck. Object pushed through bumper, crumpled quarter panel and hood before contacting tire with enough force to push wheel to the back side of fender. Passenger door is stuck shut, but appears undamaged; just pushed slightly back. Some frame twisting as well. Car is a 1997 Z3 Roadster with the 6 cylinder motor, automatic transmission, computer, 17 inch factory wheels etc... White with Tan Leather with under 70,000 miles. Engine and Drive train are fine. Does anyone have any idea what this is worth? I was offered $3,000 sight unseen and have no idea if this is fair. Auctioneer says it should bring $5,000 to $10,000, but no guarantees. Any and all advice would be very appreciated. Sad
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 3,492 • Replies: 28
No top replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Thu 22 Jan, 2004 11:41 am
Was it your insurance company who offered you $3,000?
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Thu 22 Jan, 2004 11:43 am
You got an offer from who? Did you have collission coverage on this through your insurance?
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Reply Thu 22 Jan, 2004 11:46 am
No... I don't didn't carry collision insurance. I paid cash and insurance would have added up to another car in about 4.5 years, so I took the gamble... Embarrassed Offer is from a mechanic who is thinking rebuild for his daughter.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Thu 22 Jan, 2004 11:50 am
That's a gamble I took on my old car, too. It paid off. Got too much at risk on the new one.
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Thu 22 Jan, 2004 11:56 am
Jeez. Sad I'd say that you'd have to rely on an auctioneer (or two!) for any sort of guestimate. Selling wrecked cars is a quirky bidness...
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Thu 22 Jan, 2004 12:00 pm
You OK, O'Bill?
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Thu 22 Jan, 2004 12:01 pm
Just the replacement of an airbag is a big heapin' helpin' of $.
I'm not at work so I don't have access to the 'books'.
I'm gonna see if I can get some info from here.
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Reply Thu 22 Jan, 2004 12:02 pm
Apparently, auctioneer displays car 3 Mondays in a row... and accepts offers, but he said I can ask for a minimum... and I don't even know if I should. I'm just trying to minimize the loss. Confused
I'm fine Sozobe, thanks for asking.
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Reply Thu 22 Jan, 2004 12:03 pm
Too true eBeth, the bags alone are over $2,000 a each. They said they are what makes it a total.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Thu 22 Jan, 2004 12:11 pm
In good condition, you'd expect about 12 - 18k here for the Roadster. 4 - 5k on 2 airbags. Lots of frame work to be done. The re-paint on a Roadster could cost another 3 - 4k here. That now takes your range to 3 - 10k (best/worst case) - with no frame work $ factored in.

I kind of assumed your big foam head would protect you from
injury :wink:

(i did this in U.S. $)
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Thu 22 Jan, 2004 12:33 pm
I'd go with the auction Bill. Glad that you're ok ;-)
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Reply Fri 23 Jan, 2004 11:11 am
ehBeth wrote:
I kind of assumed your big foam head would protect you from injury :wink:
Laughing I heard a story about a guy who crashed a plane wearing one of those and it protected him from injury. Thank you for taking your time to get those figures. I'm giving it up for auction and I'm just going to take whatever they give. Confused
And thanks all for advice and kind words. Does anybody have one of those Chrysler Sebring convertibles? And if so; do you like it?
0 Replies

SealPoet

Reply Fri 23 Jan, 2004 11:16 am
You should try to get Slappy's opinion on this subject.... low-life bottom-feeder of a used car salesman that he is...
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Fri 23 Jan, 2004 11:19 am
I don't know the convertible, but I've rented the Sebring a coupla times, and a co-worker I drive with occasionally has a Sebring. Nice comfy car, handles well on snowy roads. The one downside, from my perspective, is that the trunk doesn't hold much.
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Fri 23 Jan, 2004 11:20 am
Glad to see you're ok, but it probably won't sell for much for than the $3-5 mark...definitely not $10K.

Dude, a Sebring? They're awful. You can't go from a BMW to a Chrysler. They're loose feeling, unreliable, and...they suck. They don't hold up well. Although a lot more $$, what about a 3-series conv?
0 Replies

SealPoet

Reply Fri 23 Jan, 2004 11:21 am
(speak of the devil)
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Fri 23 Jan, 2004 11:23 am
Going to a Sebring from a Z3 is going to make you long for another BMW. Sebrings = marginal workmanship, underpowered, poorly matched suspension...this is all stuff I've gleaned from reviews on the web. Never drove one, but, being front wheel drive, they will be better than a bimmer in snow.
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Fri 23 Jan, 2004 11:55 am
Cj, last I checked, were Billy lives, there ain't much snow.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Fri 23 Jan, 2004 12:01 pm
Wasn't paying attention and was responding to ehbeth's post. I must have been typing while you were posting as well.
0 Replies