Suicide risks higher among young adults, women and the unemployed

Reply Fri 21 Oct, 2011 12:34 pm
October 20, 2011
Suicide risks higher among young adults, women and the unemployed
By Tony Pugh | McClatchy Newspapers

WASHINGTON — The first study ever to compare U.S. suicide data state by state found that women, the unemployed and young adults have higher rates of non-fatal suicidal behavior than other people.

While Georgia logged the lowest statewide rates among adults ages 18 and over for suicidal thoughts, plans and attempts, the variation in findings among other states was nothing short of remarkable, said Alex Crosby, a medical epidemiologist at the national Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, which conducted the study.

The CDC report, which surveyed more than 92,000 Americans, estimated that from 2008-2009, some 8.3 million U.S. adults — about 3.7 percent of the adult population — had suicidal thoughts in the previous year. Roughly 1 percent of U.S. adults, about 2.2 million people, reported making suicide plans in the last year, the study found.

One million, or 0.5 percent of U.S. adults, reported an actual suicide attempt in the last 12 months, said Crosby, the lead author of the study.

Only one-tenth of 1 percent of Georgia adults reported making suicide plans, while Rhode Island led the nation with 2.8 percent.

Only one in 50 Georgia adults, or 2.1 percent, reported suicidal thoughts in the last year, while one in 15 Utah residents did so, topping the nation with a rate of about 6.8 percent of adults, Crosby said.

Delaware and Georgia shared the top spot for the lowest rate of residents reporting a suicide attempt — 0.1 percent. Rhode Island, with 1.5 percent of adults reporting a suicide attempt in the previous 12 months, had nation's highest rate.

While suicide rates have consistently been higher in Western states, particularly the Rocky Mountain states, Crosby said it has never been fully determined why. The report found that suicidal thoughts were more prevalent among adults in the Midwest and West than for those in the Northeast and the South.

On average, a person died from suicide roughly every 15 minutes in the U.S. in 2008, compared to every 17 minutes in 2007, Crosby said.

In 2008, the last year that data is available, more than 36,000 Americans died of suicide, and another 666,000 people went to hospital emergency rooms for non-fatal, self-inflicted injuries.

Generally, suicide death rates are higher among males, certain racial and ethnic groups and middle-aged and older adults, Crosby said. But non-fatal suicide behavior — thoughts, plans and attempts — were found to be much higher among young adults ages 18 to 30 than for those 30 and older.

Women also had "significantly higher" rates of suicidal thoughts than males, but there was no gender difference among suicide planning or attempts, the study found.

Among ethnic groups, non-Hispanic whites had the highest rate of suicidal thoughts, followed by non-Hispanic blacks, Hispanics and Asians.

Both death rates from suicide and non-fatal suicide behaviors are higher among the unemployed than those with jobs, Crosby said.

When the Great Recession began in December 2007, suicide was the 11th leading cause of death in the United States. By 2008, it had moved up to 10th.

Previous studies have shown a link between the downward business cycle and increased suicidal behavior. But Crosby said researchers probably will never be able to say that the economy was the main cause of a suicide because the act is such a complex human behavior that often has many underlying causes, like mental illness and employment, family and relationship problems.

Selective migration, the demographic composition of the population and social factors like divorce rates and access to health care are thought to contribute to suicidal behavior.

Crosby said the report's findings will help state public health officials better target their suicide-prevention efforts.

ON THE WEB

New CDC report on state and national suicide estimates

Read more: http://www.mcclatchydc.com/2011/10/20/127877/suicide-risks-higher-among-young.html#ixzz1bRVB0DJR
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,309 • Replies: 10
No top replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Fri 21 Oct, 2011 12:45 pm

I usually don 't recommend suicide,
but I must admit that each citizen
has the right to end his human life at a time of his choosing.
Fido

Reply Fri 21 Oct, 2011 12:55 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
OmSigDAVID wrote:

That is good; because those likely to self murder are more likely to murder as well, and if you think their lives of no value, only a legal point of rights, after all, then what should they think of you, and your life???
OmSigDAVID

Reply Fri 21 Oct, 2011 01:05 pm
@Fido,
OmSigDAVID wrote:

Fido wrote:
That is good; because those likely to self murder are more likely to murder as well, and if you think their lives of no value, only a legal point of rights, after all, then what should they think of you, and your life???
I hate to agree with Fido about anything, but candor moves me to admit that u r right on this point.

I understand that people who have successfully been talked out
of committing suicide have DISPROPORTIONATELY gone on, soon thereafter,
to express their RAGE by murder, sometimes multiple murders.

In other words: the rage that formerly had been directed inward
changed direction and was re-directed outward.
Fido

Reply Fri 21 Oct, 2011 01:05 pm
@BumbleBeeBoogie,
BB; you see how many people there are when faced with failure do not blame the system which divides humanity into winners and losers with many of the winners buying their victory too dear to love it, and instead blame themselves... They make room for the rest of us, just as those who volunteer to die in wars that gain us, and humanity nothing... They waste the only lives they have a certainly as those who house themselves in prison or give their lives to drugs... We should all thank them for their pride that keeps them off the public dole, unable to become the very prople they once blamed for their failures... Only one thing keeps me from offering them assistence and giving them the means... I know there is room for everyone of us even if some of us should resist breeding... The society which bears all and depends upon all can support all, and it is our right, the right of every citizen to a share of the commonwealth... It may be an indignity to have to demand the rights that should be freely given, but if capitalism does not work then those who suffer its failures as their own ought to stick around and protest the fact... An economy is just a form... Forms change or are replaced every day of the week... Ours cannot change, and it counts on people to drop dead rather than forcing it to work for all people...The problem is the system... The problem is the form, and when people can no longer accomdate the form it is the form that should change...
0 Replies

Fido

Reply Fri 21 Oct, 2011 01:10 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
OmSigDAVID wrote:

OmSigDAVID wrote:

Fido wrote:
I hate to agree with Fido about anything, but candor moves me to admit that u r right on this point.

I understand that people who have successfully been talked out
of committing suicide have DISPROPORTIONATELY gone on to express their RAGE by murder, sometimes multiple murders.

In other words: the rage that formerly had been directed inward
changed direction and was re-directed outward.

The rage was always there, and always directed at humanity, at life; but the fact is that whether or not God exists, he cannot be punished for giving people punishing lives... Life is a challenge... Usually, and perhaps always it is an intelligence test, and when people resort to violence they have failed the test...It is like our whole society has a death wish, and I am sure that Freud would have agreed; and while most human progress has come out of that willingness to destroy life and nature, it cannot be considered healthy in the long run...
OmSigDAVID

Reply Fri 21 Oct, 2011 01:20 pm
@Fido,
Your unintelligible gibberish appears to imply
that I said things that I did not.

To that: I object.

I stand by what I actually said.

David
Rockhead

Reply Fri 21 Oct, 2011 01:21 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
you say things that you did not all the time, dave.

why object now?
OmSigDAVID

Reply Fri 21 Oct, 2011 01:23 pm
@Rockhead,
Rockhead wrote:

why object now?
Once again, with better clarity, please ??
0 Replies

Fido

Reply Fri 21 Oct, 2011 04:33 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
OmSigDAVID wrote:

Your unintelligible gibberish appears to imply
that I said things that I did not.

To that: I object.

I stand by what I actually said.

David
As gently as possible, I disagreed... I would make it more simple... I would like it more simple... Life should be simple for the simple, and perhaps it is, because it is complex enough for the more complex... Perhaps complex people over think all that the rest do on reflex, or instinct... I know some people have trouble with life, and are beat up and spit out by life, and I feel bad for them, perhaps because I have at times felt like that too... Some time bad stuff happens to good people... Some times bad is exactly what we deserve... I have nothing to say about the sort of thing God, or fate do to us that pushes us over the edge... What I do not like is the total disregard of humanity for humanity, caring not for the well being and happiness of others, calculating all moves in relation to costs and profits..
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Sat 22 Oct, 2011 05:51 am
@Rockhead,
Rockhead wrote:

why object now?
R u accusing me of being unintelligible, Rocky?
0 Replies