My Pick for X Factor Winner

Roberta

Reply Thu 20 Oct, 2011 12:40 pm
Yes, I'm watching the X Factor.

There are many good singers on the show. One person blew me away from the first audition. Can't get his voice out of my head. I think that's saying something.

Are you watching? Do you have a favorite?

• Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 1 • Views: 2,840 • Replies: 21
No top replies

CalamityJane

Reply Thu 20 Oct, 2011 02:24 pm
@Roberta,
I haven't watched it so far. I think it's too much like American Idol, but your video clip here gave me goose bumps, Roberta. You're right, that guy can sing (plus I love that song) - good choice!!
0 Replies

Irishk

Reply Thu 20 Oct, 2011 03:11 pm
@Roberta,
Haven't watched but OMG I love his mom!!! Great song choice -- I hope he goes far. (Sometimes you don't even have to win these things to get some great breaks from the industry).

How's the relationship between Simon and Paula? They were so funny on AI!
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Thu 20 Oct, 2011 03:52 pm
This was the only X Factor show I saw.

The format is too similar to American Idol

I never liked watching the pathetic losers make fools of themselves in front of millions. Sure, some of the contestants were deliberately horible, but what's funny about that?

I never found it funny when someone who really believes they are talented is shredded and laughed at by the judges. I can't help but believe that the panel of judges is not viewing all the contestants and whomever they use to screen the initial thousands is picking out the most feeble to send along to be humiliated. It's no wonder these deluded fools are crushed. They're thinking they must be pretty good if they're making it to the celebrity judges.

X Factor makes it worse by having all the contestants appear on stage. Way too much time spent on something not funny.
Roberta

Reply Thu 20 Oct, 2011 05:48 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
CJ, Goose bumps are good. I had the same reaction. Slinging burritos one minute. Giving people goose bumps the next.

Irish, True. Once you sing on tv, you can have a future without winning. I really think this guy will have some kind of success. Paula and Simon have their ups and downs.

Finn, I don't watch to be amused. And if someone is deluded into thinking they have talent, so be it. I watch this show and others like it because I'm hoping to make a musical connection. Someone whose singing I can respond to. I also watch because I have way too much free time on my hands.

If I don't feel connected to anybody, I don't watch. This guy's singing touched me. What can I tell ya?
Finn dAbuzz

Reply Thu 20 Oct, 2011 07:20 pm
@Roberta,
I don't know, what can you tell me? You certainly don't have to tell me anything least of all why you like this guy.

I like it when the talented people sing too. I may have stuck with X Factor if it had departed from American Idol's humiliation schtick. Watching the World Series now and being "treated" to some X-Factor commercials. Looks like in the next stage of the contest, the singers have to perform for Simon while he lounges by his pool. Looks very awkward.
Roberta

Reply Thu 20 Oct, 2011 10:52 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
I already saw the next stage. The singers have to perform for all the judges at their homes. Some place private. This made me uncomfortable.

I'll follow the singer I like and see what happens.
0 Replies

Lustig Andrei

Reply Fri 21 Oct, 2011 01:08 am
@Roberta,
What in hell is X Factor???
Roberta

Reply Fri 21 Oct, 2011 02:21 am
@Lustig Andrei,
Andy, It's one of those Ted Mack Amateur Hour shows, like American Idol. A bunch of unknowns show up and perform to try to win money and a contract or something.

This show has the biggest prize--$5 million.

The producers try to make it special or different, but these shows are all pretty much alike.

I watch in the hope of finding a performer I like. In this case a singer. And in this case I did.
0 Replies

Old Goat

Reply Fri 21 Oct, 2011 02:50 am
I think that the winner of American X Factor will be Simon Cowell.

We've had the X Factor here for years and I think nearly everyone is getting tired of the same old formula.

Have they tried the tragic "back story" on you yet?

It goes something like this.....

Myleena had to overcome severe bullying at school because of her dyslexia, but her mother gave her the strength to realise that, to compensate, god had given her the voice of an angel.
With mum's steadfast encouragement over the years, Myleena now had the confidence to send off her application for X Factor.
Unfortunately, her mum tragically died on the very same day that the X Factor reply was received, but Myleena courageously decides to go to her audition, knowing that mum is looking down on her from heaven.
She steps up to her mark on stage, cues her backing music, looks up to heaven and whispers "this is for you, mum".

All this is usually followed by a heart rending "wind beneath my wings", whereupon the female judges collapse in tears and Simon gets up to give Myleena a standing ovation.

You have been warned!
Roberta

Reply Fri 21 Oct, 2011 03:25 am
@Old Goat,
Old Goat, There's a tragic backstory on everybody on reality shows. It wouldn't surprise me if producers went around bumping off family members to create tragic backstories. I usually skip the personal stuff if I can. I just want to hear the singing.

And I skip around with that too.

My remote control flipping fingers are highly muscled--and quick on the draw.
0 Replies

Old Goat

Reply Fri 21 Oct, 2011 03:45 am
A famous Brit comedian, Peter Kay, encapsulated what we were all thinking when he came out with a spoof reality show a year or so ago, to lift the lid on the formulaic crassness of it all.
At the time we had X Factor, Britains Got talent, Celebrities On Ice, Strictly Come Dancing etc etc.
His spoof show was called "Britain's got the Pop Factor and Possibly a New Celebrity Jesus Christ Soapstar Superstar Strictly on Ice".

He entered as Geraldine McQueen and roped in many well known faces to take part in the show ( judges, show hosts etc) and it was hilarious. Apparently, Cowell didn't see the funny side at all.

Here is a clip (warning....she swears a bit) of Kat Deeley, a well known "face" as host of the final, where she is about to announce the winner.
You must bear in mind that she is a sweet little goodie two shoes usually, which makes this clip all the funnier.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ys1r1MUaMc
Old Goat

Reply Fri 21 Oct, 2011 04:03 am
Geraldine's tragic back story......

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ubWDY5ek4H8&feature=related

And here is Peter Kay himself, or is it Geraldine?.....performing his/her medley.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=449bHctCjiw&feature=related
0 Replies

Irishk

Reply Fri 21 Oct, 2011 08:08 am
@Old Goat,
I used to watch So You Think You Can Dance just to see what Kat Deeley was wearing. She has a fabulous sense of fashion...not to mention being a great hostess for that show.

Of course, she's like, 6'8" or something so anything she puts on is going to look good on her Smile
0 Replies

Lustig Andrei

Reply Fri 21 Oct, 2011 08:04 pm
You folks actually watch this stuff?
CalamityJane

Reply Fri 21 Oct, 2011 08:07 pm
@Lustig Andrei,
What? Did you think we actually have a life?

....didn't think so!
CalamityJane

Reply Fri 21 Oct, 2011 08:08 pm
@Old Goat,
I love Kat Deeley too! She's such a natural and quite charming too!
0 Replies

Lustig Andrei

Reply Fri 21 Oct, 2011 08:08 pm
@CalamityJane,
Sorry. Lost my head again.
CalamityJane

Reply Fri 21 Oct, 2011 08:09 pm
@Lustig Andrei,
That's what Hawaii does to you, Andy Wink
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Fri 21 Oct, 2011 11:46 pm
@Lustig Andrei,
Irish, I like Kat too, but I don't watch this show anymore. Too much writhing around. I'm not a big fan of modern dance. Some talented people, but not for me.

Hey, Andy. Are you actually disapproving of our viewing habits? Passing judgment on how we choose to spend our free time? Assuming that we have something better to do? You got a noive.