Obama starts open ended war in central Africa

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Sat 15 Oct, 2011 02:18 pm
@High Seas,
High Seas wrote:

Evacuation is a completely different function. Here I also worry that these 100 "advisers" might succumb to mission creep - an old US problem.

A very realistic concern, and one I'm prepared to now predict will materialize within the next 8 to 10 months.
High Seas

Reply Sat 15 Oct, 2011 02:20 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
Especially with Biden meddling in foreign policy - recall, it was he who agitated for US military forces to be dispatched to Rwanda to avert that genocide.

0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Sat 15 Oct, 2011 05:40 pm
@High Seas,
High Seas wrote:

Evacuation is a completely different function. Here I also worry that these 100 "advisers" might succumb to mission creep - an old US problem.

Don't selectively quote, they didn't evacuate, they intervened. America didn't act as the World's policemen in Sierra Leone, we did, and it worked. The LRA don't have any popular support, they descend on villages, and rape, torture and mutilate. Half of their soldiers are children that have been brutalised. The is a functioning government in Uganda.
georgeob1

Reply Sat 15 Oct, 2011 06:19 pm
@izzythepush,
Perhaps we should have left this issue for the British as well - after Uganda is part of the debris of their former Empire.
OmSigDAVID

Reply Sun 16 Oct, 2011 02:05 am
@panzade,
panzade wrote:
Gold. It seems the price is soaring
Then, I hope that we will acquire LARGE quantities of it, or more.

David
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Sun 16 Oct, 2011 02:35 am
@georgeob1,
georgeob1 wrote:

Perhaps we should have left this issue for the British as well - after Uganda is part of the debris of their former Empire.

Don't think you're up to it eh? Not all American soldiers are like you Bob, there's plenty now who can come across a jungle village and not spray napalm and agent orange all over the shop.
hawkeye10

Reply Sun 16 Oct, 2011 02:48 am
@izzythepush,
Quote:
Don't think you're up to it eh
I think the issue is that you Brits are not up to it, after the crappy job you all did in Basra and you ran out of ammo going after Gahaffi. It is well known that the defense cuts will if carried out as ordered gut your already deeply troubled military. We got begged to by you boys to make Libya happen, we probably got begged to save Uganda because you cant handle it.
izzythepush

Reply Sun 16 Oct, 2011 02:51 am
@hawkeye10,
Sierra Leone
hawkeye10

Reply Sun 16 Oct, 2011 03:43 am
@izzythepush,
OK, so I looked....it seems that Cameron is threatening to cut Uganda aid because they will not follow his demands on treatments of gays, so the brits seem not willing to help out the government at this point in time. There are two trains of thought as to why the US is doing it, one is to reward Uganda for helping in Somalia, the other is that this is a sop to the liberal do gooder wing of the administration lead by Clinton who are rallying around the "save the victims" flag again, wanting to go after a guy who is now very weak but who over the years has ordered a lot of rapes of women....they want him either dead or on trial in the Hague for crimes against women.

Everyone agrees that there is no national security reason to have military personnel in Uganda. It appears that everyone is in agreement that Obama is at the very least not being transparent as to why he has ordered this, and he is accused by some of flat out lying because his stated explanation is clearly BS.
izzythepush

Reply Sun 16 Oct, 2011 05:43 am
@hawkeye10,
Cutting Ugandan aid is a soft measure, and I'm sure you'll agree that it would be a good thing if people weren't discriminated against because of their sexual orientation. The Ugandan government may not be perfect, but it's not in the same league as the LRA.

Btw, don't think I was having a go at the American military in general. I think by and large they do a good job. It was aimed specifically at Bob who never lets a chance to display his virulent anglophobia slip by. It's one thing to discuss the shortcomings of the British empire, it's another thing to be lectured at by someone who is solely motivated by hate.
0 Replies

maxdancona

Reply Sun 16 Oct, 2011 07:13 am
@Foofie,
Quote:
Let's be honest. At some point the U.S. has to include Israel in its military efforts, since otherwise American Jews might think the U.S. involvement around the world is anti-Semitic, by avoiding Israel

These types of comments are quite surprising from someone of Jewish descent.

0 Replies

georgeob1

Reply Sun 16 Oct, 2011 09:21 am
@izzythepush,
izzythepush wrote:

georgeob1 wrote:

Don't think you're up to it eh? Not all American soldiers are like you Bob, there's plenty now who can come across a jungle village and not spray napalm and agent orange all over the shop.

No. I simply believe you should begin to clean up the messes you have made.

Moreover, I strongly suspect you don't know the first thing about soldiering.
0 Replies