Why do Turkish look white in appearance?

ossobuco

Reply Sat 30 Jun, 2012 06:19 pm
@Tozge,
I know, I know, I've friends who have told me about their enthusiasm re Turkey. I've one friend who highly recommended that I move to Ortigia (Sicily), and later highly recommended that I run a shop for her in Capadoccia.

I'm an a2k person with very little money but generally wide interests.
I probably read about those places before they did.

0 Replies

Foofie

Reply Sat 30 Jun, 2012 06:39 pm
Were the Khazars Turkish?
gungasnake

Reply Sat 30 Jun, 2012 07:29 pm
@Tozge,
You need to stop worrying about how white the average Turk is, there's basically less genetic variation in he entire human race than there is in a typical group of 40 African monkeys of the same species. The only other land mammal with that little genetic variation to my knowledge is the cheetah, which also appears to have gone through some recent genetic bottleneck.

gungasnake

Reply Sat 30 Jun, 2012 07:33 pm
@Foofie,
Quote:
Were the Khazars Turkish?

No. The evidence indicates that Khazars actually were descendants of the tribes which the Assyrians took away in OT times. Pretty much all of their culture was that of ancient Israel and not that of hellenistic Jews from whom some Turkish group wishing to convert to Judaism would have gotten it circa 500 - 1000 AD.

http://www.varchive.org/ce/baalbek/khazars.htm
0 Replies

Tozge

Reply Sun 1 Jul, 2012 05:03 am
@gungasnake,
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-KxPoyjsj-EM/T-WoOs_LfOI/AAAAAAAABQg/J_IrYo4UyIo/s320/Bitch%2Bplease%2Bface%2Bmeme%2Bchat%2Bimage%2Bfacebook.jpg
0 Replies

gungasnake

Reply Sun 1 Jul, 2012 05:56 pm
What real Turks (who haven't been mixing with Europeans for the last 1000 years) actually look like, i.e. Uighurs, the people who Genghis Khan took his alphabet from and the one Muslim group I could halfway sympathize with, that is, the one Muslim group which is actually on the victim side of any sort of oppression.

https://www.google.com/search?q=uighurs&hl=en&prmd=imvnsu&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=YOLwT42jGOfi2QXL0dXQCg&ved=0CFQQ_AUoAQ&biw=1254&bih=748

https://encrypted-tbn3.google.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS271bUD82Egc_P-nlPLkZ6Cb4OcwPNDBVS7Wdnvcswjg__GwFgeg

https://encrypted-tbn0.google.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRuOCVggidrOUD3SDcxSmo32eH6wtCFpDhm2sPpto5O5BWYMjIQ

https://encrypted-tbn2.google.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRJt1wETNP2B_XRRQ75dj6rkow3uES5l4STR4OZ2bdJeMo-4aYq

https://encrypted-tbn1.google.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTGswaqpdKGSMcxy_xuXbi2cCWcEtBln0jrnAis1aTtcw3A6DxV

https://encrypted-tbn2.google.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTnR2FlOCOfQXx_bW6ryYpYTvCEIGw5F9DWtD_AJ5D5wgZuq-0y
0 Replies

Foofie

Reply Sun 1 Jul, 2012 06:52 pm
"White," in my opinion, has different definitions in different parts of the world.

But, just talking as a US citizen, white, I believe, refers to those whose ancestors were European. However, I believe not everyone is "just white." Some people with the same skin tone, as others, are more white than others, as I have read. Meaning, those of northern European descent are considered a priori white. Those of southern European descent are white, but not white like a northern European. Back in the first half of the 19th century, in the US, the only "real whites" were from Britain, Scandanavia, and Germany, basically. Southern Europeans were not as white. Eastern Europeans were Eurasians. All this is just what I have read in social history; not my opinion.

So, as a teenager, in the 1960's, some people referred to Russians as Eurasian. Today they are Eastern European. So, as political feelings change, so do the identities, according to some.

Today, in the US, many people are white, if they look white. However, in some parts of the country there is still the belief that one's whitenss is contingent on one's ancestors, not just how one looks.

But, in my own opinion, whiteness is just an artificial construct that supposedly confers on the individual a certain status that whiteness does not deserve. I suspect it harkens back to the days of European colonialism, when European colonial powers looked down on all the indigenous peoples of any colony. Also, that the world was supposed to be Eurocentric, meaning that the Middle East, Far East, and Near East only connoted how far from Europe each area was.

Again in my opinion, Europeans have really given the world some really stupid concepts to subscribe to. I have been told decades ago that there are is a country in South America where being European (aka, white) is so valued, that individuals will fictionalize their family to invent European descent, if it does not really exist. Sad, I believe!

The most insidious thing about "whiteness" is that it allows some people to believe that whiteness confers on an individual status/intelligence/birthright that devalues all those who are not as white, according to some paradigm of whiteness.

The fact that this thread has pursued the original question, without questioning the value of the question, makes me wonder about how some people will not expose a possible foolish question, since the simple answer is that there is no such thing as whiteness. I think it was alluded to, but then not pursued.

gungasnake

Reply Sun 1 Jul, 2012 08:57 pm
@Foofie,
Another funny thing I notice is that we get used to thinking of ordinary white Americans like myself being white more or less and then you get English people and other Northern Europeans coming for business trips or whatever and it's almost shocking. A building where I used to live had six tennis courts and you'd get English people coming out to play in 95 degree sun, not knowing any better, and everybody else would say "Oh, Jesus" and get those people over to the one court which was halfway shaded so they didn't get killed outright.
Foofie

Reply Mon 2 Jul, 2012 12:16 pm
@gungasnake,
gungasnake wrote:

Another funny thing I notice is that we get used to thinking of ordinary white Americans like myself being white more or less and then you get English people and other Northern Europeans coming for business trips or whatever and it's almost shocking. A building where I used to live had six tennis courts and you'd get English people coming out to play in 95 degree sun, not knowing any better, and everybody else would say "Oh, Jesus" and get those people over to the one court which was halfway shaded so they didn't get killed outright.

I have read that in the 19th century, when Europeans visited the US many would comment that Americans had an easy going way of walking that reminded them of how Blacks walked. This was said since Europeans supposedly often had a manner of walking, that to us looked stilted, but to them showed a certain sophistication, perhaps. They thought this made Americans less socially acceptable than Europeans, possibly? Anyway, I take it as a compliment that I can have an easy sort of amble, rather than looking like I am pretending to be some sort of starched royalty of a bygone era.

I am guessing that today what also sets American males apart from Europeans is that many American males wear a baseball cap, whether it has a team logo, or a company logo, or no logo.

In my opinion, Americans possibly confuse Europeans, since many Americans look like Europeans at first glance, but Americans really are often a whole different character. Unless of course if one is affecting a phoney English or French accent, like the Pink Panther movies.
ss--

Reply Thu 5 Jul, 2012 02:50 pm
Once you come to Turkey, dropping it to ourselves speak.we happening to our country nor the persecution of Jews all over the world already do not want to make plans for our development suç.bu yabancılar.bizim out to the best course dependent on where you sit if you live according to such olur.size tutmak.ülkemizi young in population do not want to throw . then why turkey biniyorlar.insan yiyiyorlar kaldı.develere behind.
they are false. Do not confuse the Arabs.
MontereyJack

Reply Thu 5 Jul, 2012 03:31 pm
ss--whatever you think you are saying did not survive machine translation. That came out as totally unintelligible.
Lustig Andrei

Reply Thu 5 Jul, 2012 03:33 pm
@ss--,
What Monterey Jack said. See if you can repost that in English.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Thu 5 Jul, 2012 06:13 pm
@Foofie,
I think you're the one that's confused.
Foofie

Reply Thu 5 Jul, 2012 06:50 pm
@izzythepush,
izzythepush wrote:

I think you're the one that's confused.

Not a problem. You're in another society. I was basically referring to the United States.
0 Replies

ss--

Reply Fri 6 Jul, 2012 03:08 am
@MontereyJack,
English is my native language so well bad.I do not know.but use google translate.It's I can not answer for you ..
Setanta

Reply Fri 6 Jul, 2012 03:28 am
@ss--,
ss-- wrote:
English is my native language so well bad.

B ullshit . . . that's not only not close to English, it's not even close to the mistakes made by native speakers with a poor command of the language.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Fri 6 Jul, 2012 05:05 am
@ss--,
Quote:
report Thu 5 Jul, 2012 03:50 pm

Once you come to Turkey, dropping it to ourselves speak.we happening to our country nor the persecution of Jews all over the world already do not want to make plans for our development suç.bu yabancılar.bizim out to the best course dependent on where you sit if you live according to such olur.size tutmak.ülkemizi young in population do not want to throw . then why turkey biniyorlar.insan yiyiyorlar kaldı.develere behind.
they are false. Do not confuse the Arabs

Boy, you can say that again.
ss--

Reply Fri 6 Jul, 2012 07:05 am
@farmerman,
Do not have one here who knows Turkish?help me.you use google translate!
Strauss

Reply Fri 6 Jul, 2012 07:19 am
@ss--,
Well, just follow this link, it's in English:

Identity of heroine who risked her own life to rescue stranger's baby from burning building revealed
ss--

Reply Fri 6 Jul, 2012 10:58 am
@Strauss,
myself anymore write.thank you help me.actually I'll write too much but I am going on holiday.I don't understand whats I wrote before that
0 Replies