Why do Turkish look white in appearance?

gungasnake

Reply Fri 29 Jun, 2012 07:36 pm
@Tozge,
A person who speaks English and German will recognize something like 20% - 40% of the Russian words he ever sees and likewise they say that an English nobleman from the time of the crusades who spoke Latin and Greek could have been dropped into India and picked the language up very quickly. Words for basic and common things are more often than not alike, numbers, family members, earth, air, fire, water, wind, hills, walking, running....

It's that sort of thing which is missing if you try to go from IndoEuropean languages to Semitic or Altaic languages. They aren't basically related.
ossobuco

Reply Fri 29 Jun, 2012 07:42 pm
@ossobuco,
I've a procedural novel I like, which I need to remember the name and and author of, set in Germany. Back when I figure out what I am remembering.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 29 Jun, 2012 09:20 pm
@ossobuco,
This is the book I've kept -

Happy Birthday, Turk!
by Jakob Arjouni
Soho Press, of course.
Tozge

Reply Sat 30 Jun, 2012 03:50 am
@gungasnake,
Yes that's because of the Turk migrations from Middle Asia to Europe.If you have a check out some historical migration maps, they can really help you to understand it.There are so many migrations in Turkish History and I don't think that I can help you about it efficiently.And of course if you really want to get more specific information, you should search about the states that were founded by Turks at the end of those migrations.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sat 30 Jun, 2012 05:28 am
@gungasnake,
gungasnake wrote:

A person who speaks English and German will recognize something like 20% - 40% of the Russian words he ever sees ...
I speak German quite well and have some knowledge about English.
I recognise less than 1% of (written) Russian, and it's about the same with the spoken language.

My brother-in-law, who's nearly fluent in Russian (and fluent in German, English and Spanish) says, it's a tiny bit more when you've learnt the Cyrillic alphabet ...
gungasnake

Reply Sat 30 Jun, 2012 05:59 am
@Walter Hinteler,
Quote:
I speak German quite well and have some knowledge about English.
I recognise less than 1% of (written) Russian, and it's about the same with the spoken language.

The claim I made does of course assume a certain level of intelligence on the part of the subject....
Walter Hinteler

Reply Sat 30 Jun, 2012 06:27 am
@gungasnake,
Well, my brother-in-law has taught Spanish and Russian, published some books about German and Russian culture, is a CEO in one of the Europe's biggest insurance companies for International Business, vice-president of a regional MENSA ... He might well be bit stupid.

Certainly you beat him.

gungasnake

Reply Sat 30 Jun, 2012 07:17 am
@Walter Hinteler,
YOU're the one claiming that you and you family cannot see IE relationships, and the world generally offers no shortage of dopey people in high places...

Nonetheless the claim I was making is basically that the theory of evolution doesn't really work any better for human languages than it does for animals. Sure, you have MICRO-evolution of languages which explain the differences between Russian and Ukranian or between our English and Chaucer's; the claim I also make is that MICRO-evolution (of languages) also accounts for the Germanic/Slavic divide, and that there is no evidence of such MICRO-evolution or any other kind of evolution betweewn IndoEuropean and Semitic or between IndoEuropean and Altaic groups, and that the only relationship there is between language families is borrowed words.

A few examples of things which a bright person would notice between Germanic and Slavic languages:

Numbers: nearly all the same, one, two, three, four... einz, zwei, drei, fier...
один два три четыре (same as quattro/quarter etc.)

Family members: nearly the same... брат, сустра, мати(old spelling), отец... The 'ot' in that last one is the same 'at' in Vater/Pater, the etz is a generic suffix.

Personal pronouns: nearly the same

Common things: fire/огонь (ignire/ignition/Agni), water/вода, wine/вино,
wind/ветер(vent, ventilator etc.)

P/F words (start with a p in one IE language and with an f in the next): flame/пламя, fall/пал (упасть, попасть, пропасть, etc.) , no shortage...

D/G words: give/давать gimme/дай-мне/dai-me (slavic kid language)

Common household things: knife/нож spoon/ladle/Loeffel/ложка

Old/very-old IE roots: it (step)/идти/iterate/itinerary

Feudal relationships: долг/должен(debt, obligation) = do + L-G (as in liege lord), delegate, relegate, obligate etc.

I mean, I'm not even talking about all of the words ending in ия which are borrowed from French, just the words which an alert reader will notice because the roots go all the way back. Again none of those similarities are there between any IE language and Turkish or Mongolian.

Tozge

Reply Sat 30 Jun, 2012 03:49 pm
@gungasnake,
http://www.turkceciler.com/turk_dili/diller.jpg It's in Turkish but I hope you can understand it.Languages are actually getting in shape about which region they are spoken in and classified by lying of mountains.
ossobuco

Reply Sat 30 Jun, 2012 03:55 pm
@Tozge,
Hint - do not feed gungasnake.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Sat 30 Jun, 2012 04:40 pm
@Tozge,
It always helps to know the sort of person you're dealing with. This pretty much sums up his attitude towards Moslems (or slammites, as he likes to call them.)

http://able2know.org/topic/82482-1
MontereyJack

Reply Sat 30 Jun, 2012 05:16 pm
bookmark
0 Replies

Tozge

Reply Sat 30 Jun, 2012 05:30 pm
@izzythepush,
I just want to change his attitude.He is on a quite wrong way.And I'm not all muslim if something makes sense to me,I do it and if it doesn't,I don't.I'm pragmatist person and in my country there are lots of people, thinking like I do.I'm just trying to show him some facts we were taught about.Science doesn't change for a religion or a country it's universal he's going to realise it someday, he has to.
izzythepush

Reply Sat 30 Jun, 2012 05:33 pm
@Tozge,
Well good luck with that.
Tozge

Reply Sat 30 Jun, 2012 05:38 pm
@izzythepush,
Actually you are right maybe I should leave it here so that he can learn by himself.Everybody needs to find his/her truths.And thanks for supporting me Smile
izzythepush

Reply Sat 30 Jun, 2012 05:45 pm
@Tozge,
It's a pleasure. Welcome to A2K by the way. There's all sorts on here, some people are really nice, others aren't. It won't take you long to find out which is which.
Tozge

Reply Sat 30 Jun, 2012 05:57 pm
@izzythepush,
Thanks when I saw this topic I signed up just to make something clear but I liked this site so much.
Lustig Andrei

Reply Sat 30 Jun, 2012 06:01 pm
@Tozge,
Welcome to A2K, Tozge. Stay away from people like gungasnake, McGentrix, BillRM, a few others and you'll feel right at home in no time. Welcome!
ossobuco

Reply Sat 30 Jun, 2012 06:10 pm
@ossobuco,
This was good writing, for those interested in procedurals.
0 Replies

Tozge

Reply Sat 30 Jun, 2012 06:10 pm
@Lustig Andrei,
Noted, thanks Smile
0 Replies