Traffic Ticket Quotas?

Reply Sat 8 Oct, 2011 07:47 pm
I have often wondered what people think about traffic ticket quotas and if they even exist.

Butrflynet

Reply Sat 8 Oct, 2011 10:02 pm
@trying2learn,
10 LAPD officers sue, saying department has traffic-ticket quotas

0 Replies

roger

Reply Sat 8 Oct, 2011 11:19 pm
@trying2learn,
I've always heard of these quotas, and never had their existance confirmed. Still, if every officer in a given area on a given weekday writes ten citations, most supervisors would probably take a look at the one who consistantly wrote only two, or at another officer that wrote twenty, all else apparantly equal. It's called Management by Exception."

I didn't follow BFN's like, but maybe we should.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Sun 9 Oct, 2011 12:09 am
@trying2learn,
http://www.safemotorist.com/articles/traffic_ticket_quotas.aspx

Quote:

Florida is not the only state where ticket quotas are a reality, and states like Missouri and Pennsylvania have experienced similar revelations. Pennsylvania State Police documents show that not only is there a system of monetary reward and punishment for state troopers based upon numeric ticket goals, there is a clear effort to prevent anyone from ever speaking about it.

In 2002, the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette uncovered the creative methods that top police officials developed to avoid the letter of the law. The specific number of tickets that troopers must now meet is known as the "station average." Each trooper must log the number of traffic stops and citations and if a trooper for any reason issues fewer tickets than his colleagues -- the station average -- he will be disciplined.

And, according to Newspaper.com at least five police officers in Monroe, Louisiana have been disciplined for not writing a sufficient number of traffic tickets. These officers were told they could not work a second job while off-duty to help make ends meet. Because this punishment is outside of the normal disciplinary process, the officers have no right to appeal the decision.

While traffic ticket quotas are not legally mandated, there is enough evidence to suggest they do exist in some law enforcement agencies.
Lustig Andrei

Reply Sun 9 Oct, 2011 12:12 am
@trying2learn,
trying2learn wrote:

I have often wondered what people think about traffic ticket quotas and if they even exist.

I think that wherever such a travesty exists, it sucks. Big time. It puts pressure on officers to write citations whether there has actually been a violation of the law or not.
trying2learn

Reply Sun 9 Oct, 2011 04:31 pm
I was told that if X amounts of tickets were written, then they get an appliance. A stove, fridge, or microwave.
Rockhead

Reply Sun 9 Oct, 2011 04:35 pm
@DrewDad,
I was stopped late at night in Monroe, LA once.

didn't have the proper signage on my truck.

a $100 bill and some nice words later, and I was moving on toward Nawlins with a warning...
trying2learn

Reply Sun 9 Oct, 2011 04:39 pm
@Rockhead,
You bribed them Shocked
Rockhead

Reply Sun 9 Oct, 2011 04:40 pm
@trying2learn,
that word was not used.

cops are people every bit as wrong as you or I...
trying2learn

Reply Sun 9 Oct, 2011 04:43 pm
@Rockhead,
okay so you had to pay a bill yet got a warning too...and yes you are right. Omg they are human.
0 Replies

Lustig Andrei

Reply Mon 10 Oct, 2011 01:54 am
@trying2learn,
trying2learn wrote:

I was told that if X amounts of tickets were written, then they get an appliance. A stove, fridge, or microwave.

More likely would be that if they don't reach their quota, they don't get a raise or a promotion. A cop's job may be fairly secure because it's civil service (in other words, he can't get fired without plenty of good cause) but he won't go far in his career either if he doesn't play ball.
trying2learn

Reply Mon 10 Oct, 2011 02:06 am
@Lustig Andrei,
What is the quota?
Lustig Andrei

Reply Mon 10 Oct, 2011 02:10 am
@trying2learn,
I mean whatever it happens to be in a given time and place where such quotas are set.
trying2learn

Reply Mon 10 Oct, 2011 02:14 am
@Lustig Andrei,
..and what quota is set?
tsarstepan

Reply Mon 10 Oct, 2011 11:24 am
@trying2learn,
These quotas aren't legally/legislatively recognized policy so you're not going to get a documented number. I believe that not all police departments have them. But for the most part where they exist, the commands are given from within the department hierarchy in terms of verbal recommendations rather then contracted obligations.

So asking for a set number isn't going be answered when each local and city police department has different districts in their own overall department that might have different levels of ticketing quotas. AKA there are no nationwide standardized numbers for the public policy of police department ticket quotas.
trying2learn

Reply Wed 12 Oct, 2011 08:29 pm
@tsarstepan,
Nice answer. btw none of you are correct to what I asked.
0 Replies

trying2learn

Reply Thu 13 Oct, 2011 09:12 pm
@Lustig Andrei,
Lustig Andrei wrote:
I think that wherever such a travesty exists, it sucks. Big time. It puts pressure on officers to write citations whether there has actually been a violation of the law or not.
I agree and quotas don't exist in any dept. I am aware of and you can get promoted without writing tickets. Tickets do not equal promotion unless it is some small town and no one is willing to speak up.
0 Replies