How about some Halloween spirit around here? Or at least some Halloween avatars?

wayne

Reply Sat 15 Oct, 2011 05:55 am
@tsarstepan,
Thanks Tsar, closest thing I could find to a halloween pterodactyl.
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Thu 27 Oct, 2011 10:07 am
This is pretty cool.

http://a3.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/312540_890062615434_21303832_41834224_329537374_n.jpg
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Fri 28 Oct, 2011 03:02 pm
Like me, have you always wondered how they get the seeds out of pumpkins for processing next year's seeds? I got this video in a seed catalog email and thought I'd share.

Quote:
October at Johnny's Research Farm means it's time to finish the harvest and process seeds. This video shows how seed is extracted from pumpkins and peppers.

The process is fairly straightforward. Fruits, in this case pumpkins, are gathered and pulverized. The seed is separated from the pulp by use of machine called a vine harvester, which is essentially a giant food mill. The seed is then cleaned, rinsed off with water, and taken to the drier where it is heat-dried for about a day.

Pepper seed extraction is basically the same, but a much smaller machine is used. Johnny's farm employees previously extracted pepper seed by hand, but this new machine makes the job much easier and faster.
tsarstepan

Reply Fri 28 Oct, 2011 10:57 pm
@Butrflynet,
I hope they use the wasted pumpkin and pepper for compost or animal feed and not just thrown away after the seeds have been removed. Seems like a wasteful effort.
Butrflynet

Reply Fri 28 Oct, 2011 11:00 pm
@tsarstepan,
I would assume that is why they do the processing right out in the field. They probably plow it all under after the processing. From the looks of it, most of those pumpkins were the rejects/imperfect ones that markets would not purchase.
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Sat 29 Oct, 2011 08:27 pm
Quote:
How about some Halloween spirit around here?
My girlfriend just called n cancelled our Halloween date
because her brother died. Is that enuf Halloween Spirit ??
Butrflynet

Reply Sat 29 Oct, 2011 08:49 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
Sorry to hear that David. Be there for her when she needs you, and in the meantime, be there in spirit.

You're welcome to trick or treat through the threads here with the rest of us ghouls.
OmSigDAVID

Reply Sat 29 Oct, 2011 09:33 pm
@Butrflynet,
Butrflynet wrote:
Sorry to hear that David. Be there for her when she needs you, and in the meantime, be there in spirit.

You're welcome to trick or treat through the threads here with the rest of us ghouls.
Thank u. I have never met the decedent.
OmSigDAVID

Reply Sun 30 Oct, 2011 11:08 am
@OmSigDAVID,
I think it takes RARE dedication to the Spirit of Halloween
to go as far as HE did.
MontereyJack

Reply Mon 31 Oct, 2011 03:57 am
Well, okay, BOO!
izzythepush

Reply Mon 31 Oct, 2011 06:40 am
@OmSigDAVID,
I think it's quite admirable Dave, that you don't let personal tragedy get in the way of a really good joke. I hope all goes well, and that you're able to comfort your girlfiend.
OmSigDAVID

Reply Mon 31 Oct, 2011 06:50 am
@MontereyJack,
MontereyJack wrote:
Well, okay, BOO!
COUNTER-boo!
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Mon 31 Oct, 2011 06:56 am
@izzythepush,
izzythepush wrote:
I think it's quite admirable Dave,
that you don't let personal tragedy get in the way of a really good joke.
Thank u, Izzy. Maybe he is laffing on the other side,
but I dunno: he was said to have been demented.

izzythepush wrote:
I hope all goes well, and that you're able to comfort your girlfiend.
We 'll see how that works out.
Happy Halloween. ( I wonder if thay have Halloween in England )
OmSigDAVID

Reply Mon 31 Oct, 2011 07:02 am

In keeping with the Spirit of the Occasion:
has everyone seen the start of the new Season of I SURVIVED . . . BEYOND and BACK ???
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Mon 31 Oct, 2011 07:03 am
@OmSigDAVID,
We do have Holloween over here, although it's not as big as in America, but it is moving in that direction. We've also got lots of pagans who call it Samhain, and hang around in Glastonbury and near stone circles.

When I was a kid my mother used to buy a swede (no pumpkins about in those days) and carve it up, and I could bob for an apple floating in a bowl of water. I had to eat it without using my hands. There was never any trick or treating, unlike today when there's a bit.

For me though, it just begins the countdown to 5th November when I can set off a load of fireworks and enjoy a bonfire.
0 Replies

Sturgis

Reply Mon 31 Oct, 2011 07:05 am
Halloween 1975 I celebrated by flying down a flight of stairs. The cartoon critter was right when they advised "be careful of that first step, it's a doozie."
Since death didn't happen at the time, I didn't become a Halloween spirit.
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Mon 31 Oct, 2011 07:06 am

Thank u, Gracie; I 'll give it a shot!

What happened to Gracie 's post ????

Was it taken by unseen powers ?
GracieGirl

Reply Mon 31 Oct, 2011 07:08 am
@OmSigDAVID,
@OmSigDAVID,
Aww! Sorry about that David, but you can still have some Halloween fun here.
http://i.mnpls.com/580/58053.png

0 Replies

GracieGirl

Reply Mon 31 Oct, 2011 07:10 am
@OmSigDAVID,
Had to repost! My iPods being stupid! Haha! Very Happy
OmSigDAVID

Reply Mon 31 Oct, 2011 07:26 am
@GracieGirl,
I thawt u 'd posted something so repugnant
that the powers that be removed it, in the Spirit of Halloween.