Chris Christie: Will he or won't he?

Reply Tue 4 Oct, 2011 08:46 am
Republican governor of New Jersey Chris Christie will be holding a press conference in New Jersey statehouse today (Tuesday 04 Oct. 2011) at 2:00 PM EST. The question on every political pundits' minds is will he be throwing his hat into the 2012 US presidential race and Republican primary race or will he finally clamp down on the rumors and put an end to any presidential campaign.

Quote:
Meanwhile, the ongoing "will he or won't he?" speculation about New Jersey Gov. Chris Christie is getting some more fuel today. While this morning it was being reported that he "does not have any public appearances scheduled today," we just heard from NPR's Ken Barcus that the Republican governor has scheduled a 1 p.m. ET news conference in Trenton. As Fox News says, the "late addition to the schedule ... has election watchers wondering if he's going to announce his entry into the 2012 Republican presidential race."

http://www.npr.org/blogs/thetwo-way/2011/10/04/141037000/in-two-polls-perrys-down-and-cain-is-up-meanwhile-what-about-christie

WNYC will be streaming the speech here:
http://www.wnyc.org/articles/its-free-country/2011/oct/04/watch-live-gov-chris-christie-speaks-nj-statehouse/

Will you be listening in with baited breath or dread?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 2 • Views: 1,287 • Replies: 10
No top replies

sozobe

Reply Tue 4 Oct, 2011 09:03 am
@tsarstepan,
I've been wondering this, too. I think probably "no," and he'll wait 'til 2016. But I'm not sure.

I think he really, really doesn't want to lose -- he does have presidential ambitions in a general way -- and I think that even though there are elements of the current race that play into his hands in a way he probably couldn't have foreseen, if he really wanted to be in the 2012 race he would be already. He'd have significant obstacles if he joined this late. And he is spotty enough as a "conservative," (he's been outspoken about anti-Muslim paranoia for example) that I'm not at all sure that he'd survive as a quick entry, a la Perry. (With the immigration stuff.)

Anyway, I'm just not sure what he thinks, though. I personally think he'd have a better chance in 2016 than now (more time to prepare and more actual governance under his belt, he's a new governor), but maybe he'd go ahead and take the leap anyway.
sozobe

Reply Tue 4 Oct, 2011 09:17 am
@sozobe,
And now The Caucus is saying the announcement will be "no."

http://thecaucus.blogs.nytimes.com/2011/10/04/christie-wont-run-for-president-advisers-say/
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Tue 4 Oct, 2011 09:22 am
It remains a NO! Probably all for the best and I also think that he'll have
better chances in 2016
Sturgis

Reply Tue 4 Oct, 2011 09:32 am
@tsarstepan,
I like him (usually) as to his stance on most matters. That aside, it seems to me this would be the wrong time for him to enter into the race. Give it a few more years, become a proven leader by turning Jersey into a forward direction with an improved economy, education standard/stats, etc. etc.

Having heard Mr.Christie, several times say that he'd need to have his heart in it and that it currently isn't... saying that in just recent weeks.... it would be nutty to see him suddenly shift direction now.

What worries me, is that the person who gets the nod from the Republicans to run next November for Pres., will try to tag Christie as their sidekick, for V.P. I don't want him taking that. Either the Republican ticket will lose, and he'll be relegated to a footnote in history books, or, they'll win and he'll be essentially just window dressing, possibly never heard from again in the political world. Of course he is young enough that he could conceivably even hold as long as 2024, when he'd be 62; but, I'd like to see him go for it in 2016 when he has (hopefully) become established and proven.
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Tue 4 Oct, 2011 09:32 am
@CalamityJane,
Some "unnamed source" has came out as told by Brian Lehrer a minute ago that Christie WILL NOT be running.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Tue 4 Oct, 2011 11:09 am
"Now is not my time."

http://livewire.talkingpointsmemo.com/updates/865
tsarstepan

Reply Tue 4 Oct, 2011 11:33 am
@sozobe,
Another nonevent. Move along everyone. Nothing to see here. Nope. Nothing at all. [sigh]
sozobe

Reply Tue 4 Oct, 2011 11:35 am
@tsarstepan,
Did you want him to run?
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Tue 4 Oct, 2011 11:38 am
The question is now who will he throw his weight behind?

Joe(if he can lift it.)Nation
tsarstepan

Reply Tue 4 Oct, 2011 11:52 am
@Joe Nation,
McDonalds?
0 Replies