importation = ?

Reply Mon 3 Oct, 2011 04:53 pm

Context:

However, even in these more careful countries, resistance can still be an issue, often after the importation of multiresistant bacterial strains4 or the overuse of antibiotics in farmed animals. 5There are many alarming examples of increasing resistance in bacteria that commonly infect patients in the community and health-care settings. Among gram-positive bacteria, meticillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus 6 (MRSA) has attracted media and public policy attention. Some MRSA strains have shown a disturbing creep towards resistance to glycopeptides and some of the more recently introduced agents, such as daptomycin and 7 oxazolidinones. Community-acquired MRSA strains have spread globally, and are also now becoming increasingly common in healthcare settings. Glycopeptide-resistant enterococci are a concern in many countries, and new 8 mechanisms of resistance continue to develop.The resistance problem is even worse for gram-negative bacteria, both in community and hospital settings.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 4 • Views: 1,136 • Replies: 27
No top replies

View best answer, chosen by oristarA
izzythepush
  Selected Answer

Reply Tue 4 Oct, 2011 07:32 am
@oristarA,
Importation means brought over from somewhere else, usually because of inadequate hygene measures.
oristarA

Reply Tue 4 Oct, 2011 07:34 am
@izzythepush,
Thank you.
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Tue 4 Oct, 2011 07:37 am
@oristarA,
~~No matter how careful a process is, there is always the possibility of contamination by some hidden or unknown strain of bacteria or virus~~
"importation" here refers to the 'bringing in' or 'contamination by' those strains, in this case a strain that is resistant to a lot of different antibiotics.
Joe Nation

Reply Tue 4 Oct, 2011 07:38 am
@Joe Nation,
Beat me by three minutes.... :-)
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Tue 4 Oct, 2011 07:40 am
@Joe Nation,
There was something on the news the other day about using copper more in hospitals. Apparently copper is anti-bacterial, and if all worksurfaces, door handles etc were copper it would cut down on infection. Obviously all other hygene measures should be followed as well, and copper isn't cheap.
Joe Nation

Reply Tue 4 Oct, 2011 11:25 am
@izzythepush,
In all American hospitals it has become routine to have a hand sanitizer dispenser mounted in every room, hallway and (naturally) lavatory. From my observations over the past year (a friend has been in cancer treatment) the medical personnel use them very regularly, each time they enter a room, after touching either a patient or anything nearby (bed, bedsheets, table top or anything on it.)
AND so do the friends, family etc of the patients.

That would save a lot of copper which, in my experience, wears easily and oxidizes to a lovely green color if left uncoated in open air for over six months.

Joe(Excuse me, Doctor, but your forefinger is the color of gall)Nation
izzythepush

Reply Tue 4 Oct, 2011 12:10 pm
@Joe Nation,
They have the same thing over here as well. The copper was in addition to that. It doesn't go green because it's cleaned regularly.
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Tue 4 Oct, 2011 06:19 pm
@Joe Nation,
Quote:
In all American hospitals it has become routine to have a hand sanitizer dispenser mounted in every room, hallway and (naturally) lavatory. From my observations over the past year (a friend has been in cancer treatment) the medical personnel use them very regularly, each time they enter a room, after touching either a patient or anything nearby (bed, bedsheets, table top or anything on it.)
AND so do the friends, family etc of the patients.

Helping to hurry along the evolution of super everythings that won't be so easily sanitized away.

0 Replies

McTag

Reply Wed 5 Oct, 2011 02:00 am

Importation is an American word. I wouldn't use it myself.

For instance, we use "transport" while Americans use "transportation" to mean the same thing.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 5 Oct, 2011 05:56 am
This bullshit about "American words" gets tedious. I've read Englishman complaining about "Americanisms" such as input (first appears in Wycliffe's translation of the Bible) and minimize and maximize (words invented by Jeremy Bentham). In about three out of four cases, either the word was once used in England and then abandoned, or it was actually coined by an Englishman, but the word snobs in England are too ignorant to realize it.

The online etymology dicctionary lists importation as circa 1600. There were no Englishmen living in North America in1600, unless it were the survivors of the Roanoke Island colony, and they weren't writing to anybody.

The same source lists transportation as being coined in the 1530s.
izzythepush

Reply Wed 5 Oct, 2011 06:44 am
@Setanta,
McTag's a Scot.
Setanta

Reply Wed 5 Oct, 2011 06:48 am
@izzythepush,
McTag's real name is not Scots, and whether or not it were, he lives in England and he partakes of the silly prejudices to which i referred.
izzythepush

Reply Wed 5 Oct, 2011 06:52 am
@Setanta,
That logic would make you a Canadian.
Setanta

Reply Wed 5 Oct, 2011 06:56 am
@izzythepush,
I wouldn't have a problem with that, were it not for the fact that i don't partake of the silly prejudices of the Canajuns. For example, i don't automatically respond to criticism by pointing out that the Americans are worse.
izzythepush

Reply Wed 5 Oct, 2011 07:31 am
@Setanta,
I thought your problem was one of allegiance to Liz.
Setanta

Reply Wed 5 Oct, 2011 07:40 am
@izzythepush,
As i'm not a citizen of Canadia, that's not a problem.
izzythepush

Reply Wed 5 Oct, 2011 07:43 am
@Setanta,
I think you're too anti-English to swear allegiance to a Saxe-Coburg.
Setanta

Reply Wed 5 Oct, 2011 08:22 am
@izzythepush,
I thought the Saxe-Coberg-Gothas changed their name to Windsor. At any event, it's bullshit that i'm anti-English--i'm just anti-bullshit.
izzythepush

Reply Wed 5 Oct, 2011 08:39 am
@Setanta,
I've been waiting for an opportunity to use that line for ages Set. I don't think you're anti-English, I just wanted to use that line.