Telepathy

Reply Mon 19 Jan, 2004 08:18 pm
I'm curious as to know what everyone's beliefs on telekinesis, telepathy, precognitions, etc. etc. are. Many acquaintances of mine have reminisced of times when there 'visions' came true. They spoke of a dream they had only finding it to come into acuality. I have also heard stories of objects floating around a room. I have seen TV shows where they found evidence of supernatural beings. Watching those TV shows can really screw with one's mind, although they can get very interesting. There has to be some factual background to all these ghost stories. Am I right? The mind is a delicate and complicated thing. It is possible that a 'ghost' may simply be someone's overactive imagination at work. But what about telepathy? Is their a bridge that one may take in order to surpass the laws of physics?

I recollect one week last year where I could have sworn that I saw the future several times. I won't go into details on the matter hoping that you will take me for my word and not believe me to be insane. I had a dream one night only finding it to come true the next day. It may be a common coincidence for those of you who have countless dream, but I find it to be a miracle if I can remember one dream per month. This wasn't the only event that happened, obviously. I had three precognitions within about twenty minutes all together. after which, I focused on my surroundings and left my peculiar mood behind. Yes, this all occured to me when I was in a rare aura. Everything, at the time, looked different. I felt things come and go, I didn't preticularly see them.

Maybe, I overdosed on LSD... or I just came to logical conclusions that were differentiated from my everyday analysis on basic ideas... or maybe it wasn't LSD, it was the opium... or the reefer... or, what I've been trying to get at, I was at the brink of the bridge where humans can release themselves from the shackles of physical laws.

May I indulge a bit into the Bible? No one refuses? Well then...
I'm sure many of you are well aware of the story of Jesus and Peter walking on water. Jesus could walk on water because, basically, he was God. Peter, on the other hand, wasn't. He stepped out on the water after being called. How? It may well have been his faith. It may have been that he had forgotten about the treacherous pull of gravity. It may have been that God allowed him. Anyway in which he did it, well, he did it. Then later, he feared what he was doing and fell. He took his mind off the matter and reminded himself that he wasn't allowed to stand on unfrozen water.

And... please don't indulge on the whole biblical story (whether it's factual or not.) It was the first example that came to my head.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 3,375 • Replies: 45
No top replies

husker

Reply Fri 23 Jan, 2004 09:23 am
Well I have very good intuition.
0 Replies

Portal Star

Reply Fri 23 Jan, 2004 11:35 am
Iv'e had three people tell me I was telepathic, but I don't believe in it. There are patterns in life and if you notice them you can be ahead of things. My forhead is ticklish :wink:
0 Replies

roger

Reply Fri 23 Jan, 2004 11:41 am
I believe in telepathy, based on one very convincing experience.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Fri 23 Jan, 2004 11:44 am
i hardly believe in telephones, until it get the bill.
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Fri 23 Jan, 2004 01:05 pm
Roger, what experience?
0 Replies

Laptoploon

Reply Fri 23 Jan, 2004 01:08 pm
husker wrote:
Well I have very good intuition.

I knew you were going to say that.
0 Replies

Mhatte-Rhaye

Reply Fri 23 Jan, 2004 01:43 pm
I appreciate your replies, but I would like some stories or input on the topic. Can anyone share stories in which they experienced something they believed to be supernatural? Does anyone believe that there is an area in our brain in which, if we reach it, we will enter a Nirvana, where we can leave the rules of this world and do as we please.?

Quote:
Iv'e had three people tell me I was telepathic, but I don't believe in it. There are patterns in life and if you notice them you can be ahead of things. My forhead is ticklish

Portal Star... I know what you are getting at. It is true that there are patterns in life. Just as historians can predict the future, so can we. But... I saw something happen before it did. I entered an involuntary daydream which came true seconds later. This has happened to me a few times now. I understand that these visions could merely be coincidences, but I believe otherwise.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 23 Jan, 2004 01:54 pm
I've frequently had the experience of preque vu, but would note that the workings of the brain and the chemistry thereof are sufficiently mysterious for me not to put any appreciable credence in supernatural explanations.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Fri 23 Jan, 2004 01:56 pm
i have had, on rare ocassion, vuja de in which I don't have any idea where I am but suspect I will be here again.
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Fri 23 Jan, 2004 02:18 pm
I taught science in high school and used an experiment on Telepathy as a way to discuss scientific method.

We did a simple experiement. The students would get into small groups. Each group would be given 3 or four cards with pictures on them. One student would hold up a card to show the back of a card to another student. The other student would try to divine which of the cards it was.

Sure enough, each year a couple of students would report that based on this experiment they were able to predict the card with considerable accuracy.

Of course, the moral of the story is that this kind of test is not at all scientifically valid. There are many ways, other than psychic ability, that the test student could consciously or subconciously figure out which card it was.

The student choosing the card could fall into a pattern, or the student could somehow (with a facial expression or subconscious movement) comminucate what card was correct.

Each year after finding the students who showed psychic abilities we would, as a class discuss ways to make this a truly valid study.

Of course, each year with a study that eliminated all explainations other than psychic ability (i.e. a double-blind test) the ability dissappeared.

Like in my class -- Scientific studies on paranormal abilities have consistantly shown two things...

- Paranormal abilities are never demonstrated in any scientifically valid study.

- Some people have experiences that are very convincing, but are due to perfectly normal explainations, including the subconcious desire to succeed and the ability to ready subconcious clues from others.
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Fri 23 Jan, 2004 02:31 pm
try this test and see what happens:

http://paranormal.about.com/library/weekly/aa062402a.htm

The first time that I ever heard of deja vu, was when a friend of mine, whose child had been operated on for a brain tumor, began to experience obsessive thoughts. She kept insisting that there was something that she was supposed to do. The team at Duke University, explained that scar tissue had formed on the temporal lobe, and was creating a sense of deja vu. That was, and still is, extremely odd to me.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Fri 23 Jan, 2004 03:29 pm
I'll have to tell you later, Letty.
0 Replies

Portal Star

Reply Fri 23 Jan, 2004 04:50 pm
dyslexia wrote:
i have had, on rare ocassion, vuja de in which I don't have any idea where I am but suspect I will be here again.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHhahahah...
----------------------
Mhatte-Rhaye -

I have had strange experiences of deja vu, like once I dreamed I was in a hallway saying hello to people I didn't know, and it was strange. Then, three years later, there I was in that hallway, at a new high school. Could've sworn it was the same thing. [side note: I also have the unusual ability of remembering any face I have ever seen and see again (but not names), which gets me into trouble, because sometimes I will think I know someone who I once saw at the airport.]
I can usually time when someone is coming to pick me up based on what I know about them and how fast they drive, weather conditions, etc. it used to creep out my mom when she'd show up at my school right as I walked to the entrance.

However, there is no evidence that there are things that are supernatural, because they have evaded science. I think that instead of saying -life- is supernatural, it would be better to reason that the human brain thinks in patterns which leave room for the idea of the supernatural.

For example, I have a somewhat bad memory. So when I experience deja vu, it could be that I had been in the same situation or had similar conversations before, and simply not remembered until the pattern had been refreshed. I started writing down my dreams in journals, and none of the ones I have written down have come to pass. It doesn't make sense that if there were somthing that was supernatural about the human brain that it would evade logic. If it were really there, it could be tested - unless it were hiding, and why would it be hiding?

There is a famous skeptic who tests these things - the Amazing Randy, I think is his name. He applies reasonable scientific methods to the testing of the supernatural, and offers large money rewards to people who can prove him wrong.

So, you factor in the way the human brain isn't a perfectly efficient machine at storing memory. Then you throw in life patterns, such as knowledge of the past (personal) and knowledge of other's pasts (history.) As a third, throw in coincidence - surely, some things are coincidence. The argument for supernatural cognition seems less and less likely.

As interesting as it seems, and as fun as it is to think about, and as much as I love reading sci - fi novels, I don't believe in precognition as guided by the supernatural.
0 Replies

Mhatte-Rhaye

Reply Fri 23 Jan, 2004 05:42 pm
I have seen television shows where a group of people set up samp in a house said by its owners to haunted. Although this is no reliable source whatsoever, it appealed to me. They had a video, in night vision, of a candle getting knocked over with nothing else there. And it wasn't like the candle just tipped over, that would be reasonable. The candle was flung from its spot. No rational reason could be reached other than the supernatural.

Also, to reply to your post. Supernatural occurences are not easily tested by natural sources. The reasons for which are in that sentence. Besides, supernatural events have not evaded personal experiences. There are many people who swear that they saw 'ghosts' or other such things. As far as I know, these people were sane. It is possible that these were mere hallucinations, but many people get the same hallucinations being in the same 'haunted' place. I know someone who claims that he saw books floating around a room. I can vouch for his integrity and sanity. I have heard that humans use about 5-15% of there brains. (Correct that if I am wrong.) Thus, it is highly possible that certain areas of the cerebral cortex, if functional, can perform, let's say, spectacular tasks.
0 Replies

Portal Star

Reply Fri 23 Jan, 2004 06:11 pm
Mhatte-Rhaye wrote:
I have seen television shows where a group of people set up samp in a house said by its owners to haunted. Although this is no reliable source whatsoever, it appealed to me. They had a video, in night vision, of a candle getting knocked over with nothing else there. And it wasn't like the candle just tipped over, that would be reasonable. The candle was flung from its spot. No rational reason could be reached other than the supernatural.

What on earth makes you think people on a T.V. show would be honest? They would get crappy ratings if nothing happened. People perform amazing majic tricks on television, but that doesn't mean I believe they really sawed the lady in half. Can you imagine a way that such a stunt could be performed without the use of majic?

Also, if you were supernatural, wouldn't you have better things to do than knock candles over to scare punk kids?

(like, if I were supernatural, I would visit model's locker rooms and torture president Bush with visions of dancing trees...)

Mhatte-Rhaye wrote:

Also, to reply to your post. Supernatural occurences are not easily tested by natural sources. The reasons for which are in that sentence. Besides, supernatural events have not evaded personal experiences. There are many people who swear that they saw 'ghosts' or other such things. As far as I know, these people were sane. It is possible that these were mere hallucinations, but many people get the same hallucinations being in the same 'haunted' place. I know someone who claims that he saw books floating around a room. I can vouch for his integrity and sanity. I have heard that humans use about 5-15% of there brains. (Correct that if I am wrong.) Thus, it is highly possible that certain areas of the cerebral cortex, if functional, can perform, let's say, spectacular tasks.

You are mistaken here. True, the supernatural, by definition cannot be "natural" or "material." As in, if it is supernatural it could not be observed. However, if the supernatural is having some effect on the natural (material) world, they would have to have a point of connection in which somthing immaterial became somthing material. As you mentioned above, somthing like a candle falling over is clearly observable in the "natural world." So there would have to be a connection point for the supernatural to be able to move (a physical thing ) the natural.
I see no reason why the supernatural wouldn't tip that candle over when the lights were on, except that maybe it isn't really supernatural.

Integrity and active imaginations can go hand in hand. I can lose my integrety when I want to tell a good story, who wants to hear about spooks that don't do anything? Humans are capable of telling lies that they absolutely think are truth. My cousins and their mother swear they had a ghost on the third floor. The third floor gave me the creeps, and it was creaky and scary and dark. The cat avoided it. They still swear to me they saw ghosts up there, but I discredit this because they a) repeated the story enough that fuzzy details may have become clearer b) were young when it happened and c) their mother had told them about the ghost before they saw it. Not exactly scientific. This doesn't mean they are untrustworthy people, only that they might be mistaken.

I secretly tested the situation by asking them both specific details about the ghost. On the things they had mentioned repeatedly - all the facts were the same. However, when I probed into minor details - such as eye color, clothing, noises, exact location, etc. Their answers were drastically different.

That quote about the brains is frequently used for the case of untapped mental ability. Fortunately, it is FALSE. I have that from the highest authority (Cecil Adams.) percent brains And my physiology teacher.
And, again, if the brain can perform spectacular tasks, why can't it in a regulated experiment (proper observation)?
Deja Vu
0 Replies

metaethics

Reply Fri 23 Jan, 2004 07:43 pm
I have no idea what I experienced is called but here are some:

- When I took a picture of myself, what's in print was the body of the camera and my finger on the shutter-release button in a background with what I now recall 16.4 million-color gradation.
- When something leaning on the wall falls over, I moved it back in the previous position with my eye contact.
- When my CD player was low on battery, I drew a circle with my index finger and it started playing again at normal speed.
- When I was levitated against my will, I slid along the wall on my back at full speed, until my beloved cat patted my shoulder and woke me up.
- When I was a kid I had a recurring dream with particular still image all the time - a baby in a larger size with three men standing at side.

And also...

- When I'm not sure about what to do, I usually ask a woman's opinion and things go well - or at least I'm content with my decision to surrender to a woman's intuition.

Law of physics confines the world of physics into only four-dimensional space-time, but no one can deny there's another dimension. What appears super-natural today may mean diddly-squat tomorrow, and I believe in whatever happens as long as it's beyond my own reason. What else can I do but believe in the existence of such knowledge?
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 23 Jan, 2004 07:45 pm
I'd love to respond to those startling contentions of yours, but if i don't go flying with my pig at least once a day, she gets cranky and won't unfold her wings. See ya later . . .
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Fri 23 Jan, 2004 07:58 pm
Fifth Dimension

Baby, baby you know it's true
I'm a puppet just for you
I'll do anything you say
I won't have it any other way
Take my heart and take my soul
Giving you complete control
If you wanna see me do my thing
Pull my string, pull my string
Puppet man, puppet man
0 Replies

metaethics

Reply Fri 23 Jan, 2004 08:02 pm
Yep,

A scientist may call it theory of superstring and I call it clinging, not nagging.
0 Replies