Movie Chat

Letty

Reply Sun 24 Jul, 2005 08:36 am
Here's a link to Hide and Seek:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0382077/

I saw The Aviator as well, Georgia girl, and I didn't particularly care for the movie although Di Caprio was excellent. I agree about Cate Blanchett, however.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 24 Jul, 2005 08:49 am
Looks interesting enough to check out, Letty.
0 Replies

dancingnancy

Reply Fri 29 Jul, 2005 12:20 pm
edgarblythe wrote:
The Aviator is on my list to see.
Hide and Seek I never heard of.

I actually watched teh Aviator last Sunday night and it didn't live up to my expectations. The best part for me personally was watching Cate Blanchett and Katharine Hepburn. She was unbelievable!

I think Blanchett is one of my favorite female actresses...along with Jodie Foster....I'm excited for her new flick to come out...Flightplan...looks intense.
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Fri 29 Jul, 2005 12:29 pm
Hey, all. I watched Kinsey and thought it excellent but really sad. It doesn't pay for a man to be a prophet sometimes. I recommend it.

Also another one called Undertow based on a backwoods Georgia family, the Munns. Really, really, strange but excellent acting.

Cate Blanchett is an excellent actress and I just watched her again last night in The Gift. Also marvelous in The Virgin Queen.
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Sat 30 Jul, 2005 08:06 am
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 30 Jul, 2005 09:02 am
So many movies, so little time or access.
0 Replies

dancingnancy

Reply Fri 5 Aug, 2005 12:57 pm
I agree, there's so many good flicks out there...and fall is my favorite movie season....I mean, I already have a list of flicks i wanna check out, including:

Flightplan
Brothers Grimm
Oliver Twist
Narnia
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Fri 5 Aug, 2005 01:21 pm
I watched Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil again. Still great, and of course the music is excellent.

Watched a strange one called Meteor Man. It had the most compelling message, and dealt with black on black crime and the need to stand up together regardless of fear, in a crime ridden neighborhood. Bill Cosby--James Earl Jones-- and still beautiful and sexy Nancy Wilson.I'll give a link later.
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Fri 5 Aug, 2005 01:34 pm
I forgot to mention that Meteor Man was on TV, but should it come back as a rerun:

http://www.the-numbers.com/movies/1993/0MMAN.html
0 Replies

JAAF

Reply Sat 6 Aug, 2005 07:55 am
To be honest, the Aviator was one of the worst movies I have ever seen. I didn't like it at all. Maybe because of the two annoying couple who were sitting infront of me in the movie theatre... But still, it was one of the worst movies I've ever seen. Most people won't agree with me... but oh well.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 6 Aug, 2005 07:57 am
Could you give a couple of reasons for your assessment of the Aviator, J A A F?
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Sun 7 Aug, 2005 10:45 am
Hmmm, edgar. it seems that JAAF flew off in the spruce goose. <smile>

Dancing, are you referring to the new horror flic, The Brothers Grimm?
0 Replies

JAAF

Reply Sun 7 Aug, 2005 03:53 pm
Edgarblythe, first of all, I expected it to be a better movie. All people were talking about it all the time and saying "You gotta watch it!" I thought it was more interesting.
2. I don't like Dicaprio.
3. far too long.
and I agree with James Berardinelli when he said, "The Aviator suffers from the problem facing nearly all movies that span long periods: a scattershot, episodic approach. We feel that we're watching highlights from Hughes' life rather than a seamless story."

Did you enjoy watching it, Edgar?
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 7 Aug, 2005 04:37 pm
I have not seen it yet.
0 Replies

JAAF

Reply Sun 7 Aug, 2005 06:05 pm
You should then Edgar, you might like it.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 7 Aug, 2005 06:20 pm
I have been known to stray from the herd in matters of movie enjoyment. I have long been interested in Howard Hughs, which is why I had been interested. I don't usually appreciate the episodic treatment either.
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Sun 7 Aug, 2005 08:57 pm
It is episodic. No doubt. But how else do you cover this kind of ground? Scorcese depends upon his audience's knowledge of Hughes' life from the getgo so he feels no need to set up or explain any of the well known facts. That is, in his personal life. Hughes' business dealings, I felt, were fleshed out a little more. A good thing.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 7 Aug, 2005 09:00 pm
Eventually I will get to watch it. I still have yet to view "Ray."
0 Replies

JAAF

Reply Mon 8 Aug, 2005 01:21 am
Ray is a good movie. Worth watching.
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Fri 12 Aug, 2005 10:43 am
You're absolutely right on "Ray", J.A.A.F. and eoe shares my views on The Aviator. I was really disappointed because I knew about Hughes' background having taught the movie as a form of media.
0 Replies