than that
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 2,667 • Replies: 24
No top replies

kjvtrue

Reply Thu 22 Jan, 2004 09:50 pm
I'm crazy about this show! I so wanted Wory to stick with her first boyfriend! I didn't like Lukes Naphew, and was glad that he left. Will Wory adventually, tell Paris how she feels, about her dating an old man? Do think you Lorali and Jason's get more into thier relationship? Is it me are do you think Jason is a little self centered?
0 Replies

sirdrinksalot

Reply Fri 23 Jan, 2004 05:14 am
hay hay slow down a bit am only on season 1
you know but that sounds like one hell of a good
season 2
0 Replies

kjvtrue

Reply Fri 23 Jan, 2004 02:24 pm
Laughing LOL
0 Replies

blue

Reply Sat 24 Jan, 2004 08:47 pm
kjvtrue wrote:
I'm crazy about this show! I so wanted Wory to stick with her first boyfriend! I didn't like Lukes Naphew, and was glad that he left. Will Wory adventually, tell Paris how she feels, about her dating an old man? Do think you Lorali and Jason's get more into thier relationship? Is it me are do you think Jason is a little self centered?

i wanted rory to stick with dean too, but they'd get stagnant. i liked jess the first season he was on, but the next one where he's this humongous jerk, even tho he got the girl, yea. glad they got rid of him. but he's coming back!! ugh! i hope she doesn't take him back.

rory already kind of did tell paris what she thinks of her relationship with an older man who's now rory's teacher. that sucks, knowing your professor is doing your friend and roommate.

i like the chemistry between lorelai and jason; very frictional, but in a good way like lorelai and rory's relationship. i'm still kinda holding out hope that lorelai and luke eventually give it a go, but now i'm starting to like jason a lot.
0 Replies

kjvtrue

Reply Sun 25 Jan, 2004 09:08 pm
blue wrote:

i wanted rory to stick with dean too, but they'd get stagnant. i liked jess the first season he was on, but the next one where he's this humongous jerk, even tho he got the girl, yea. glad they got rid of him. but he's coming back!! ugh! i hope she doesn't take him back.

rory already kind of did tell paris what she thinks of her relationship with an older man who's now rory's teacher. that sucks, knowing your professor is doing your friend and roommate.

i like the chemistry between lorelai and jason; very frictional, but in a good way like lorelai and rory's relationship. i'm still kinda holding out hope that lorelai and luke eventually give it a go, but now i'm starting to like jason a lot.

How do you know that Jess is comming back? I hope she dosn't take him back. I'm not to crazy about Jason, but I would like to see her and Luke hook up.
0 Replies

blue

Reply Tue 27 Jan, 2004 08:03 pm
kjvtrue wrote:
blue wrote:

How do you know that Jess is comming back? I hope she dosn't take him back. I'm not to crazy about Jason, but I would like to see her and Luke hook up.

they've shown previews for jess's return. there showing that ep in a few weeks, or even next week. boo on jess. he didn't take rory to her PROM!!!

and maybe before the end of the show (which hopefully is a long ways away) lorelai and luke will realize they're perfect for each other.
0 Replies

kjvtrue

Reply Thu 29 Jan, 2004 04:03 pm
Luke and Loreli, almost got close, while tampering with the church bells last week. How come Lane's mom, won't let her follow her dream?
If Mrs. Kim won't let Lane live at home and follow her dream, then she should move into Wory's old bedroom, at least Loreli won't be lonely.
0 Replies

BlueMonkey

Reply Thu 5 Feb, 2004 05:45 pm
Mrs. Kim has strick rules and they need to be adhere to.

Paris was too mean to her now Ex-Boyfriend. If I was him I would want to get her back in some evil way. He even got the feeling there was another man.

Gilmore Girls is the most witty show on TV. There lines are so quick and fast and they are funny and interesting. That is why there isn't a lot of people watching it, because they isn't a lot of people that can keep up the lines.
0 Replies

hobitbob

Reply Sun 8 Feb, 2004 07:58 pm
Lauren Graham's a hottie. I especially liked her character in Bad Santa. A slutty bartender with a santa fixation...just my kind of woman!
0 Replies

BlueMonkey

Reply Sun 8 Feb, 2004 10:01 pm
I second that.
0 Replies

Wildflower63

Reply Tue 10 Feb, 2004 02:53 pm
I know, I'm going to be a wet blanket on this one! GG makes me want to barf. Look at their lifestyle. To most of us, it is a dream come true. Being a single parent is difficult. Being a teen parent is probably beyond that.

It's only a TV show, but I think they minimize the seriousness of teen pregnancy by this sort of portrayal of lifestyle. The reality is, if she didn't have wealthy parents, there is absolutely no way she could financially afford this lifestyle without being a successful career woman. She would have to be educated and work long and hard at her profession to gain wealth such as that at such a relatively young age. She would not be able to spend so much time with her daughter or concentrate on all her social aspects of life. Mom would be getting up early and coming home late from work.

I don't like shows such as this. They get a little too close to real life situations for many of us. They make it look so easy, when it isn't at all. It's almost deceiving to people. They do show some of the problems of single parenting, which are solved in an hour. These problems are real, but we can't solve them so fast.

I think programs, like GG, are more dangerous to let our daughters watch than violent programming, which is obviously not a world they live in. Kids are amazingly adaptable. They are psychologically healthy and do thrive in single parent homes. I have been a single parent with a career. The kids are not suffering or doing without, single moms make sure of that. The mom has is rough. She has to be everything and cannot spend time at home with her kids, which she would love to have the luxury of. The pressure and demands are a heavy load. Been there.

I hate this seemingly innocent show to be on my television set, if my daughter is watching. She has seen it, with my many complaints about irresponsible programming and Hollywood glamorizing. My daughter gets so sick of my interjection, it isn't even worth watching to her. I just hope she listens to reality, not what GG represents.

I don't believe in censoring my kids, but informing them of what they are watching, which teens find very annoying. Fine, but at least she heard opposition to the simplicity of the impact on your life, since I cannot buy her a house and support her and child. I have my own retirement to worry about and bills coming in to pay.

I strongly feel that young people can be fooled by the half truths presented with this type of entertainment in our living room. I worry about the impact to our society shows like this bring, unnessary hardship, maybe? Or, am I over the edge with this type of objection?
0 Replies

BlueMonkey

Reply Tue 10 Feb, 2004 06:00 pm
Wildflower63,

They don't solve anything in an hour. It may be in real time but if you watch the show it isn't just an hour it is some times days or weeks.

Could it be that reality doesn't have to be so negative. She was a good egg. Are you saying there isn't such a thing as sucessful single Parent? I think it is a great show and shows that a single woman with a daughter is so strong and sucessful.

Don't be so negative. And don't give me the crap about you being real. It is still negative no matter how much of a hard reality spin you swing around.
0 Replies

Wildflower63

Reply Tue 10 Feb, 2004 09:04 pm
I wish that I felt I was being negative. I have been a single parent. Life is hard, which is why I don't like this sort of representation of teen pregnancy with a huge house and easy living. It isn't the truth, the partials are represented, which make the show appear realisitic. I see this as deciet to women. Odds have it, no one of us will live like this with a teen pregnancy. Maybe one in a million, those who have parents with that kind of cash anyway.

I warned you that I would be a wet blanket! This is one show I do not like because of representation of one woman with an easy life thanks to wealthy parents, which most of us do not have. This show makes me want to barf!
0 Replies

BlueMonkey

Reply Tue 10 Feb, 2004 10:35 pm
How about the fact that she refuses to ask for help from her parents. She is building a new inn and they are running out of money, who does she run to? Not her rich parents her friend Luke.

It sounds more like jealousy of not having what she has then thinking that it is a wrong interpretation.

So you would rather them show a parent who has no relationship wither her daughter and who works all the time and as season one comes to a close loses her house and has to prostitute herself to get the money to live, not caring one bit that her daughter is off doing God knows what? Is that a better story line?

Here is a story that has a positive side to something negative and you hate it because it is too positive? That just sounds retarded.

I understand that you have or still are going through this but not everyone has to feel like you. I mean the situation you are going through is similar to the show but not so because of circumstance.

I know that not everyone likes the same shows, that is fine. You can not like Gilmore Girls. I am okay with that. But saying that it is a show that is horrible I just don't see why anyone would say that. It has the best writing of any show that is on television right now. There is not one show who has writers like this. It should be winning awards for their writing.

I don't think how you not liking it is fair. Is it because you are mad that she has rich parents and you don't? Not that that matters since she doesn't even like spending that much time with them, let alone use their money. Green with envy keeps showing up in what you write.
0 Replies

Wildflower63

Reply Wed 11 Feb, 2004 03:59 pm
Quote: "I don't think how you not liking it is fair. Is it because you are mad that she has rich parents and you don't? Not that that matters since she doesn't even like spending that much time with them, let alone use their money. Green with envy keeps showing up in what you write."

Yeah, green is a big problem I see with this show. If she hasn't taken money from her parents, how did she aquire this huge house, cool clothes, and all? The green factor isn't hitting me right. It just doesn't add up. I'm a money management freak. Sorry, I didn't mean to offend anyone. I keep seeing the color green every time I have seen that show that people have to work very long and hard to aquire what she does easily made with a child to support. It's like she must have picked the right lottery numbers.

No, it isn't jealousy. It's reality that I am questioning and how on earth she earned this much money. I already own a large older home in a prestige neighborhood. My house is probably a bit smaller, but not much. Obviously, jealousy is far from the issue.

I know how much money flies out the window over this oversized money pit. Personally, I would love to get rid of it. We made good appreciation and also put a decent down payment on our first house, making the mortgage value low on a large run down one in a prestige neighborhood. We bought this thing in bad shape at a good price. We have enough assets to pay this off with no other debt besides the mortgage. So, I am in no cash pinch. Our monthly taxes on this place have actually exceeded our mortgage payment, if you can believe that! I'm just sick of paying for this lifestyle is all. I know how much money it takes, a lot.

We have never received any help, with exception to our parents watching our kids while we worked to pay for this. This place has taken a lot of work, on the job and with repairs. Personally, I would sell this place in a heartbeat, but my husband wont. I'm sick of the expensive heating bills. I'm sick of high taxes on property value. I'm tired of something like replacing my old carpet requiring a second mortgage because the house is too large for our needs. This place makes me miss my cheap apartment. I had everything I needed and money was something I never had to worry about. Keeping cash flow for large houses is a complete headache. All you got is a stupid house with no money left over to do fun things, like travel.

The things money can buy don't mean a whole lot to me, please don't misunderstand my objection to GG. It isn't that at all. I want money to meet our needs and don't want to worry over every dime. The only thing I hated about my apartment is they would not allow me to own a dog, which I love animals. I would rather bank it than spend it, just in case, which always has a way of happening.

We found out, too late, that it really doesn't make much if any difference putting kids in a more expensive neighborhood. I have had every teen problem that anyone else would, no matter if you live in less expensive housing.

This portrayal of lifestyle, if she did not take a lot of money from her parents, which I assume would be the only way possible for a single woman her age to have assets such as this. This isn't adding up, financially speaking.

To the point of asking her friend to borrow money, this is where I am stating that there is enough reality to make this living situation sound true. Yes, single parents do run short on cash. Why should she? She should downsize her standard of living if she lives in a huge house and has to borrow money from friends. Doctors and lawyers live in houses like this, not single parents that got no family gift at a young age. This is the deceiving part of the story I see.

If I am jealous of anything, it is her job that pays enough to support this lifestyle alone and still be unstressed and have as much time as she does to spend with her daughter. Where do I apply?!!! I want that job!!

I preach over and over to my kids to make a life for themselves before creating another one. I feel this is only being responsible. I'm not saying anyone is going do die or live a horrible life if an unplanned pregnancy does occur. I am saying that it makes the mother's life much more difficult without planning. Parenting is difficult enough under the best circumstances.

I have already stated that I do not feel children are suffering in any way or maladjusted in a single parent home. They can and do thrive. Being a single parent certainly does not equate to child abuse by any stretch! My marriage wasn't always so healthy. I raised my kids for five years being a single parent. We are back together and the marriage still isn't the greatest.

GG sends a completely different message, you don't have to financially enable yourself before having children, which is a lie. I know what causes a cycle of poverty, taking on too much financial obligation before you are ready for it. You never get ahead and are lucky you break even, for the majority. I'm sure there are exceptions, but the lucky exception is not a fair portrayal on the subject of teen pregnancy. This makes your adult life very hard, more than it needs to be. I'm not jealous about money or big houses at all, just a money management freak that pinches every penny until it screams. This high lifestyle is not computing, so the color green tells me.

I do apologize for posting an objection in a section that was intended for fans of the show. I should keep my big mouth shut sometimes! I was out of line, but did mean every word I said. I just shouldn't have said it. I honestly don't want to offend anyone. I'm done with this subject!! To each her own with this one. You may hate shows I like with good reason.
0 Replies

BlueMonkey

Reply Wed 11 Feb, 2004 11:36 pm
Wildflower63 wrote:
Quote:
We have never received any help, with exception to our parents watching our kids while we worked to pay for this. This place has taken a lot of work, on the job and with repairs. Personally, I would sell this place in a heartbeat, but my husband wont. I'm sick of the expensive heating bills. I'm sick of high taxes on property value. I'm tired of something like replacing my old carpet requiring a second mortgage because the house is too large for our needs. This place makes me miss my cheap apartment. I had everything I needed and money was something I never had to worry about. Keeping cash flow for large houses is a complete headache. All you got is a stupid house with no money left over to do fun things, like travel.

It is great that you can do all of that. Wonderful even. It isn't a bad thing to receive help. Maybe she did received help, I don't know. I only know that she hasn't since I started watching which has been for two seasons now. I think it has only been on for four. She lives in a small town. It is cheaper to live in a small town. It can't be expensive then people would leave and it would be a no town. It is odd to take a show so personally and hate it for that reason alone. A different perspective.

Quote:
She should downsize her standard of living if she lives in a huge house and has to borrow money from friends. Doctors and lawyers live in houses like this, not single parents that got no family gift at a young age. This is the deceiving part of the story I see.

This is what you know. Maybe there is someone who got that. It isn't a bad thing. It is almost like you want them to make a depressing show to show how it is to be a single parent. It isn't that horrible. You make it seem like a death sentence with no light. I know that isn't what you believe, but that is the projection I see from what you write. It isn't all gloom and doom.

Quote:
If I am jealous of anything, it is her job that pays enough to support this lifestyle alone and still be unstressed and have as much time as she does to spend with her daughter. Where do I apply?!!! I want that job!!

She has a great job. People work hard to get jobs. She worked hard. Why is it so hard to believe that she could work hard? Is all single parents lazy? Is it depression? Not everyone has the same pitfalls as the next. It is just that you think it should be model after your life. Your life was hard so why do they have to portray it on T.V. as if what you went through was easy? And there is the other point you don't like that she has all this time to spend with her daughter. Some people make time. It is just her to make time. They spent a hard life time together and it brought them closer. People have different kinds of relationships.

Quote:
GG sends a completely different message, you don't have to financially enable yourself before having children, which is a lie. I know what causes a cycle of poverty, taking on too much financial obligation before you are ready for it. You never get ahead and are lucky you break even, for the majority. I'm sure there are exceptions, but the lucky exception is not a fair portrayal on the subject of teen pregnancy. This makes your adult life very hard, more than it needs to be. I'm not jealous about money or big houses at all, just a money management freak that pinches every penny until it screams. This high lifestyle is not computing, so the color green tells me.

This is the thing, people look at the same situation with different sights. There is this show, for example, you see that it is a negative. And everything you state is negative. It is horrible to be a single parent and no one understands. It is horrible that this show portrays that with such happiness in tact. It is horrible that she has all this and got pregnant when she was a teen. It is horrible that she gets to live in a big house with this job and it makes no fact based on reality. That is a whole lot of negative. Why can't you see the positive? What makes it so difficult that what is positive just quickly turns into negative?

I think you are the type of person who looks at a situation and can only imagine the bad that could possibly happen. And that is a good thing because then people will know what they are about to do might not work out the way they want. All the time is taxing. There has to be some light that creeps in. Everything doesn't have a darkness in it. There are somethings that are just light. There are situations, even teen pregnancies, that have happy endings. Just because a choice was bad doesn't mean it has to haunt you the rest of your life.

Quote:
I do apologize for posting an objection in a section that was intended for fans of the show. I should keep my big mouth shut sometimes! I was out of line, but did mean every word I said. I just shouldn't have said it. I honestly don't want to offend anyone. I'm done with this subject!! To each her own with this one. You may hate shows I like with good reason.

Don't apologize. There was nothing wrong with you stating what you think. None. apologizing is when you hurt someone you love. And if you keep your mouth shut you will regret not sharing. It is good to share, let off some steam sometimes. And take it from me I am not offended. It is nice to know what others think. And I don't hate any shows. I just don't watch them because they don't entertain me. I can't even think of one that I don't watch because I don't like it. It is just entertainment.
0 Replies

Wildflower63

Reply Thu 12 Feb, 2004 02:25 pm
I may be relating my experience as a single parent. It was horrible. I didn't have their father anymore to share the problems with. I owned all of them. I loved being able to shut my own door and make the world go away, for a while anyway. I loved making decisions for myself without having to come to an agreement with my husband which we didn't agree on much and it always started arguments. The responsibility was extremely stressful. I had to be everything to these kids. I can't say that I gained anything at all after I left our family home. I only traded problems is all. Not living in a war zone is such a relief, but everything in life seems to be a trade off and nothing is fair.

I wanted to believe that I didn't need any help, but I did. Sometimes, as a single parent, you have to accept help, but be very careful who you accept it from. It creates debt with that person. The load is pretty heavy. I'm not sure what happens to your kids once they hit puberty, but my son was a huge problem. He went wild and got mixed up with a bad crowd. I would go to work and find the party was at my place. They didn't even bother to throw away a soft drink can, just threw it on the floor. I tried everything, but couldn't stop him no matter what I did.

I would go to work so stressed out by neighbor complaints of loud stereo, which he knows better than. If things weren't nailed down, they were stolen. I walked into work worried every shift about what I would walk home to. I was forced to take a leave of absence from my job because of lack of concentration. I also got evicted from my apartment within two weeks.

I tried so hard and failed to keep a roof over our heads and couldn't control my son, who was the reason for the eviction, too many disturbance complaints. The boys hung around like a pack of dogs and were disturbing. My son wouldn't listen and thought the landlord was a jerk. Everyone was the problem, not him. Obviously, this kid needed a lot of work, which I knew his father was never home or emotionally available to give him.

At that point, I completely lost all confidence in myself and my ability to work at my profession. I was so stressed out trying to be it all when the bottom came out from under the box. I was afraid and stressed out beyond belief. I ended up having to come back home. We never divorced or had any legal agreements. I still owned half the house and these were still his kids. He had to help me, even if I had to force it on him, which is exactly what I did. We were shortly to be homeless. I even tried buying a second house to avoid eviction, which got turned down because of my husband's too many late pays that showed up on our credit report. Failure again!

I never did have anyone to count on, besides myself or men who wanted to date me. That gets to be a whores bargain accepting help from them. My family couldn't be counted on, husband, no one, leaving only me and two kids. I did have a good job with more than adequate income to support us, until stress from a wild teen broke me down. I never got child support because I didn't need it. He needed the money to keep this big house going.

Love for your children is such a powerful thing that you would do just about anything to have them and support them. Even if it means going back to a lousy marriage to give them stability, which I apparently couldn't. At least my husband puts more authority on my son, where he would ignore me and even attempted these dominance plays to see who ran the place. Teens do ofter earn their lousy reputation. Mine do!

Thankfully, he has calmed down a lot, but he still isn't the most mature person in the world and still needs guidance. My daughter often got left out of the picture because my son was so problematic, she got ignored for not being a problem. Kids should come with instructions!

After what happened to me, being a single parent, I wouldn't wish my problems on anyone else. I'm sure you can understand why. It really was that bad. Then again, so is a lousy marriage. Again, I do apologize for posting objections in a forum for fans of GG. I tried very hard to raise my kids alone and failed. I tried all kinds of things with my kids, even when they were little, to raise them right. We even bought this oversized money pit to put them in the best neighborhood we could.

The only thing that I have learned is the fact that kids do fine, but parents don't always. Parents walk through fire so their kids have everything they need. Parents are the ones who will suffer, not kids. They have someone to look out for them, but mom doesn't always. You can raise kids anywhere as long as they are financially provided for, have love, teaching, and all that good stuff. I don't think poverty situations are good for kids. Studies have show that there is so much stress in the household that kids do suffer. You just have to have enough to go around is all, time they need to raise them and financial means. It's always a juggling act. Kids don't care much about money, parents think they do though.

I realize this does not belong in this section. I am sharing my horrible experience as a single parent who failed. I don't resent success by anyone. I find it gives hope to others that feel otherwise hopeless about their own situation and feel they have no options. We can learn from success as well as mistakes made by others. My mistake, failure to control a wild teen boy. I tried what I knew, but nothing worked for me. What happened to me could easily happen to anyone.
0 Replies

BlueMonkey

Reply Thu 12 Feb, 2004 02:38 pm
I hope you feel better. I hope that things are working out. And you should feel so proud of yourself for not giving up. You gave your all and you should feel great that you did. Your making it work. Everyone learns, it all depends how they use what they know in future decisions.
0 Replies

Wildflower63

Reply Thu 12 Feb, 2004 07:42 pm
Thanks Blue, even though I went completely off topic. I may be bias because of my own lousy experience. I appreciate your encouragement!! That sort of thing never goes unnoticed. I hope that I have not gone so off topic about single parenting over a TV show. My experience was bad. I haven't decided whether or not to just give up. I have a daughter of 13 still and want to do the best by her, no matter how hard it makes life for me. She deserves a chance, which I will give her, even if it is not the greatest lifestyle according to me. My son is now too old.

This stupid topic that I brought up needs to go to Parenting Advice Forum. I do apologize for so many personal, unwarranted references. This is supposed to be about a fictional TV show and I feel like I screwed up the whole topic. I am so sorry for this.
0 Replies