CONFUSED

Reply Sun 18 Sep, 2011 06:22 am
If u r a senior in college ,but u just find out u really dislike what you major in,what will u do ?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 4 • Views: 1,829 • Replies: 8
No top replies

jespah

Reply Sun 18 Sep, 2011 06:33 am
@Wendy803,
Change your major and stay in school a few extra years, until you satisfy the requirements for a degree in the new major. Or drop out. Or finish the earlier, disliked, major, and study something different at the graduate level. Except, really, for stuff like premed, there are few undergrad requirements for grad school, save an undergrad degree of some sort.
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Sun 18 Sep, 2011 07:07 am
@Wendy803,
U might also give some thawt
to getting a degree in something for which lucrative jobs r available,
if u care about living in comfort, or if u will care about that in the future,
unless u r already independently wealthy.

David
0 Replies

raprap

Reply Sun 18 Sep, 2011 07:50 am
@Wendy803,
Generally for employment.

To most Human Resources managers it really doesn't matter one rats ass what is your major. It only matters that you have a degree and hit the keywords in the employment listing.

Once you get beyond the pinheads in Human Resources and talk to who you will actually be working for then your knowledge base and interests may become important, not your degree.

Possibly the only exceptions is Science and/or Engineering.

For graduate or professional schools.

Law and business schools seem to accept anybody who minimally qualifies.

Medical schools (including dentistry, veterinary, and optometry) prefer science and engineering degrees.

Graduate science and engineering prefer Science and Engineering majors.

Rap

jespah

Reply Sun 18 Sep, 2011 08:13 am
@raprap,
raprap wrote:

Law and business schools seem to accept anybody who minimally qualifies.

Not Law Schools, at least not as a rule. You gotta have pretty serious grades to get into most.
raprap

Reply Sun 18 Sep, 2011 08:30 am
@jespah,
Depends on the law school. I spent some time in my career teaching chemistry to attorneys interested in the basis of environmental regulations. There were some pretty dim bulbs.

Then there's Michelle Bachmann, her resume' includes law school.

Rap
jespah

Reply Sun 18 Sep, 2011 09:06 am
@raprap,
There are plenty of dumb lawyers. I went to school with lots of them. But you do need good grades in order to get in. And, a lack of talent in chemistry surely does not mean a lack of talent in everything else, yes?
0 Replies

Ragman

Reply Sun 18 Sep, 2011 09:50 am
@Wendy803,
I don't know why people are talking off in the direction about law school, etc. First thing we need to know here is what have your marks been like? Why are people assuming you aren't getting good grades?

Forgive me 'cause I'm being direct. You could wake up and smell the coffee. After all you ARE a senior now and have had a few years to sort that out, right? Sorting it out now is the wisest thing to do. It could be that you're not a fan of college and/or the profs for a certain reason. Or you may need to changer majors and take a longer time..like another year while you sort out and study for the new major.

In terms of liking your major.... you could look at the possibility of the professions you might get hired with after getting your degree. And then make a decision based on the type of work you want. Understand the difference with studying for a degree and getting a profession that you will like. Think beyond the college life.
Wendy803

Reply Mon 19 Sep, 2011 06:26 am
@Ragman,
i think u r right .Though i dont like my major that much, but i can get satisfying grades.
That means at least i dont hate what i major in .And i think getting a digree is really important.And thanks for reminding me of the difference between studying for a degree and getting a profession that i like.
0 Replies