What major can I go in to get a BS in and still be able to pursue Nursing school afterwards?

Reply Wed 22 Apr, 2009 07:56 pm
I've been denied to get into the School of Nursing at the college where I'm at. So I'm wondering what major I can go in for that would benefit me to get into the School of Nursing some where else. Or what major could help me get into a Nursing school? I was thinking about getting a BS in Child Psychology here at the present college that I'm attending. And then I was thinking that after I get that BS, I'll go to Nursing school somewhere else. Is that a reasonable major to get into for Nursing?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 6 • Views: 3,057 • Replies: 17
No top replies

boomerang

Reply Wed 22 Apr, 2009 08:22 pm
I would think biology would be your best bet.
Mame

Reply Wed 22 Apr, 2009 08:24 pm
@helloalls,
Why don't you phone the schools where you're thinking of going and ask them?
helloalls

Reply Wed 22 Apr, 2009 08:26 pm
@boomerang,
I was considering biology, but I'm not good in that subject.
0 Replies

helloalls

Reply Wed 22 Apr, 2009 08:27 pm
@Mame,
you know, that's a good idea. but I'm not sure where I'm going to go to as of yet.
chai2

Reply Wed 22 Apr, 2009 08:35 pm
@helloalls,
I have a few of questions for you...

why where you denied admission into the nursing program?

Have you you considered going for an LVN/RN first, then continue on to your RN?

What field of nursing do you want to go into?

Why do you want to become a nurse?

There are waiting lists to get into any nursing program. It's a catch 22 because there's a dire need for more nurses, and there aren't enough nurses to teach the classes.
ehBeth

Reply Wed 22 Apr, 2009 08:44 pm
@helloalls,
What science are you strong in? are you good with maths?
helloalls

Reply Wed 22 Apr, 2009 08:45 pm
@chai2,
I really don't know why I didn't get in the nursing program. I have considered getting my LPN/RN first before I continue, but I think that that process would take longer. I want to be a Pediatric nurse. And I want to become a nurse because I enjoy the work, the environment, and so on.
helloalls

Reply Wed 22 Apr, 2009 08:45 pm
@ehBeth,
Yes, I'm good w/ math. The sciences that I'm good in is just Anatomy. And that's about it.
chai2

Reply Wed 22 Apr, 2009 08:49 pm
@helloalls,
I'd suggest going for the LVN/LPN first.

You'll be working, gaining experience while making pretty good money.

You'll then be worth more in the marketplace when you get your RN.
helloalls

Reply Wed 22 Apr, 2009 08:53 pm
@chai2,
but how am I gonna do that?
Mame

Reply Thu 23 Apr, 2009 08:41 am
@helloalls,
What do you mean How are you going to do that? Why don't you phone some schools where you want to go and go through all this with an admissions advisor? Go talk to someone who lives in your state and knows the requirements there.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Thu 23 Apr, 2009 09:47 am
@helloalls,
Biology is very important in nursing - so I would worry if you weren't good at biology, you wouldn't excel in nursing.

But say you just are average in biology, you could still call several schools to see what they suggest - I would imagine most nursing schools would have similar expectations.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Thu 23 Apr, 2009 09:51 am
Go to this website - it has all the information you are asking us:

http://www.allnursingschools.com/faqs/progtypes.php
Linkat

Reply Thu 23 Apr, 2009 09:51 am
@Linkat,
One other thing - nursing school is very difficult. I know several who have gone through it. So be prepared.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Thu 23 Apr, 2009 10:15 am
@helloalls,
You may want to take some time to really work up your biology and chemistry if you want to be successful in a nursing program.
0 Replies

chai2

Reply Thu 23 Apr, 2009 12:25 pm
@helloalls,
Do you mean how are you going to work and go to school at the same time?

Ask all the adult learners/people in nursing school who do that every day.

You work shifts on the days you are not going to school.

I'm not at all sure how you think you can become a nurse without biology and chemistry.
0 Replies

pooks

Reply Sun 20 Feb, 2011 10:50 am
@helloalls,
I'd suggest doing a bit more research than just asking others in a forum online. And why did you get denied at your current college? If you're really serious about Nursing, maybe you should go somewhere else where you can really do that as your degree. I'd suggest checking out some of the info on
Edit [Moderator]: Link removed and reading some of the articles about how to choose a nursing program on there. Good luck with whatever you decided to do though!
0 Replies