Companies that hire philosophy majors?

JD3P

Reply Fri 14 Jan, 2011 02:17 pm
Not looking for rude comments, go away if that's your intention.

What are some companies that look to hire philosophy majors?

JLNobody

Reply Fri 14 Jan, 2011 03:40 pm
@JD3P,
What an interesting topic. I marvel at the emphasis our society gives to the aspects of education that serve mainly our economic goals. We seem to want to train people to make money either for themselves or their companies. This has two general aspects: (1) stressing the skills needed for generating money or (2) reflecting tacit philosophical values favoring a regimented and purely utilitarian way of life.
I taught for 23 years in a university and concluded from that experience that EDUCATING (as opposed to merely TRAINING) individuals is helping them to develop themselves into interesting people who find life interesting (and for that reason alone worthwhile) regardless of their level of economic success. The adage should go both ways: the unexamind life is less worth living, and the less intensely lived life is less worth examining.
I suspect that companies that hire philosophy majors are more likely to be interesting places to work, places where people make interesting lives for themselves and contribute to those of others--rather than just "making a living."
dyslexia

Reply Fri 14 Jan, 2011 03:51 pm
@JLNobody,
to quote Bob Persig
Quote:
the metaphysics of quality is a better lens through which to view reality than the traditional dualistic subjective/objective mindset found in the West.

to quote Edward Abbey
Quote:
There was a time when men loved ideas... Now, they get by with slogans
JD3P

Reply Fri 14 Jan, 2011 03:55 pm
@JD3P,
I completely agree with both of you, unfortunately I have student loans I need to pay off as well as other debts...and I can't even land a job in a local retail store. So despite what I know is right...I still have to venture out and "be a part" of western civilization.
dyslexia

Reply Fri 14 Jan, 2011 04:03 pm
@JD3P,
while it's true I've never seen a help wanted sign saying "philosophers needed, good pay/benefits" there are lots of jobs available. My step-son has an MA in secondary education and works as a house painter.
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Fri 14 Jan, 2011 04:08 pm
@dyslexia,
To be is to do - Socrates
To do is to be - Sartre
Do Be Do Be Do Be Doo - Sinatra
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Fri 14 Jan, 2011 05:14 pm
More likely - you can get work for pretty much anything that anyone with a Liberal Arts degree would get. Skills are skills - if you can program in Java, they're not gonna care what your major was, or even if you attended college at all.
JLNobody

Reply Fri 14 Jan, 2011 05:34 pm
@jespah,
Very good. Now tell me, how come I no longer receieved "updates"?
ossobuco

Reply Fri 14 Jan, 2011 05:38 pm
@JLNobody,
JLN - this is off topic of the thread, but while I have you here, I have a link for you
to click re Nietzsche:

http://www.slate.com/id/2281133/

Beg pardon, JD3P.
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Fri 14 Jan, 2011 07:52 pm
@JD3P,
JD3P wrote:

Not looking for rude comments, go away if that's your intention.

What are some companies that look to hire philosophy majors?

Philosophy by itself is mostly an academic function, like Critical Thinking. It's a good base from which to support more marketable skills.

You will probably need to seek a company that values the added twist that your philosophy knowledge gives to your other skills. But this is going to depend greatly on how you apply philosophy to your daily activities. If your knowledge of philosophy doesn't change you in some way, then it really isn't of much importance because it isn't finding expression in your activities and skills.

I think you need to find a skill that is marketable and then seek a company that appreciates the differences that your philosophy knowledge gives to that skill. Also, the people on this board who consider themselves students of philosophy might tell you what they do for work.
0 Replies

jgweed

Reply Mon 17 Jan, 2011 09:18 am
Many companies are looking for individuals who can think critically and are good at written communication; stress the link between philosophy and these skills in your resume. Many philosophy majors gravitate to IT departments, where an understanding of system architecture is important.
room109

Reply Thu 28 Aug, 2014 10:41 pm
@jgweed,
if your not an expert i will not hire you.
0 Replies

carloslebaron

Reply Sun 12 Oct, 2014 08:40 pm
Hard to find a job as a major in philosophy?

I read in my childhood a Disney cartoon magazine where Goofy won a prize in a contest, nothing more nothing less than 500 Viking boat oars!

Whoa! What a great prize, but, what to do with them?

I guess that if you love philosophy that much, then find the way to obtain some pedagogy studies and become a teacher, or write a book.

Philosophy is an interesting topic, and now with an expanded knowledge about life, the universe, virtual reality, and more, an updated philosophical view might help you to write and sell your book.

Don't follow the trend of the best income but follow what you love to do, and if philosophy is not well profitable because companies don't see it as practical, and universities and similar institutions may require from you pedagogy background, then find another kind of job while writing your book.

Who knows you might become a pioneer of a new philosophical path.

(If you already have found a job, then disregard this opinion.)
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 12 Oct, 2014 08:46 pm
@JD3P,
The ability at critical and creative thinking is important, but the ability to communicate is even more so.
JLNobody

Reply Wed 15 Oct, 2014 11:07 pm
@cicerone imposter,
If I owned a company that produced complex products made by highly specialized technicians I would hire scientists and engineers. If my company provided services that required not technical knowledge but the ability to understand and communicate issues. The latter is very likely to be found among philosophy and humanities majors.
Fil Albuquerque

Reply Thu 16 Oct, 2014 03:42 pm
@JLNobody,
Hya ! Smile
...complex products have target markets n need be designed with target markets in mind addressing the needs of real people. Even there Philosophy might be useful specially if you want to consider long term impact and social transformations coming out of technological leaps.

Other then this minor remark in general I agree with you.
0 Replies