Sun 9 Oct, 2011 05:04 pm
@Ragman,
They're fine Ragman. Very Happy Smile
0 Replies

Reyn

Sun 9 Oct, 2011 05:10 pm
@GracieGirl,
GracieGirl wrote:

Yeah it gets annoying and tiring and I just want it all to go away. ...

Trust me, Gracie, life does not get any less annoying as you get older, or easier.

You just get a lot more responsibilities.

It must be my karma.
GracieGirl

Sun 9 Oct, 2011 05:16 pm
@Reyn,
Yeah my dad said something like that to me yesterday!

He was like " Enjoy yourself because this is the best time of your life. When you become an adult your gonna wish you could go back to being a teenager."

I was like "Wow! If this is the supposed to be the best time of my life, then when I grow up my lifes gonna suck!!" Haha! Laughing Laughing
Eva

Sun 9 Oct, 2011 05:40 pm
@GracieGirl,
Oh, sheesh. I hate it when adults look back at adolescence through rose-colored glasses. I wouldn't be 13 again for all the money in the world.

Yes, Gracie, you'll get more responsibilities as you age, but you'll get more control over your own life to balance it. And there are joys you cannot yet imagine. Life DOES get better as you get older, and that doesn't stop at 30 or 40 or 50 or....(I'll let you know about 60 after I pass it!)

Somebody once told me that life is 10% what happens to you, and 90% how you decide to take it. I'm still finding out how true that is.

So enjoy this age for what it offers...relatively few responsibilities and more free time than you'll have later...and enjoy the other ages when you get there. You only get one year to be each age. Don't waste it.

GracieGirl

Sun 9 Oct, 2011 06:29 pm
@Eva,
Yeah, being a teenager sucks. Theres soo much you cant do and soo many rules and orders you have to follow.
Im ready to be on my own, and make my own decisions and stuff, but I hear what your saying about enjoying being 13 for now. I wont rush it, or atleast I'll try not to.Its hard to when your surrounded by older people all the time and your friends get to do stuff that you wont be able to do in years . Like drive or date. I hardly ever hang out with other 13 year olds. All my friends are older and I get along with adults better anyways. (Except teachers, the teachers at my school are too bossy LOL)
Eva

Sun 9 Oct, 2011 08:30 pm
@GracieGirl,
I hear ya. I remember how hard it was when my teenage friends were older and I wanted to do the same stuff they could do. Very frustrating! I always got along better with adults, too. Probably (at least partly) because I was an oldest kid.

Just remember, driving and dating and cool stuff like that always comes with added responsibilities. A couple of years ago my son was so anxious to drive, but now he has to work part-time to pay for gas & repairs & car payments & stuff, so he has a lot less time to run around. That's the way life works.

Right now, your life is pretty simple. You don't have many responsibilities compared with what you will have in a few years, and you have a lot of free time (compared to most adults.) That makes some adults, like your dad, nostalgic for the days when they didn't have so much to do and so many people depending on them to do it...all the time! You can understand that, right?

For example, we think it's unfair that you guys get summer vacations and lots of school breaks, but we only get 2 weeks' vacation! And you guys can blow off pretty much everything when you're sick, but we still have to take care of kids, meals, laundry, auto repairs, etc., etc. even when we're sick.

So it's easy for us to forget what it's like when you're a teenager and anxious to take on life. It's good that you're here to remind us that NO age is without its frustrations.
Eva

Sun 9 Oct, 2011 08:32 pm
Good night, Gracie!
GracieGirl

Sun 9 Oct, 2011 08:42 pm
@Eva,
Yeah, I understand Eva. I guess its not so easy being an adult either, huh? I still think being a grown up is better than being a kid though. But we do have our privileges. Haha! Working is different from school. When I work Im gonna be doing something I love or I really care about. I wont be sitting in a desk learning Geometry, something that most people dont even use. And when I start drving Im gonna drive all over the country!! It'll be soo awesome. I wouldnt mind a little work if it meant I could drive wherever I wanted. Very Happy

0 Replies

GracieGirl

Sun 9 Oct, 2011 08:44 pm
@Eva,
False alarm before! LoL

Now Im done for the night! Laughing Laughing

GoodNight Eva! Your an awesome person, and great to talk with. Your son is lucky! Mr. Green
0 Replies

ossobuco

Sun 9 Oct, 2011 08:49 pm
@GracieGirl,
There is a lot going on re diabetes research. Much of it is re diabetes 2, as we all know.
But good places are paying attention to primary diabetes.

I'm a fan of primo medical centers, and urge you to get connected if you aren't already.

Consider UCSF.

Or at least to read their website.
Reyn

Mon 10 Oct, 2011 08:02 am
@GracieGirl,
Well, I don't know if I would want to be a teenager again, but maybe my early 20s.

My oldest daughter, who is 31, works very hard. It's hard, because everything is so expensive, from buying an apartment and groceries, and putting gas in the car, etc.

Life can be a grind.
GracieGirl

Mon 10 Oct, 2011 04:00 pm
@ossobuco,
Yea! Thanks Osso! I'll look over the website with my dad when I get out of school. Smile
GracieGirl

Mon 10 Oct, 2011 04:02 pm
@Reyn,
Early 20's sounds awesome! That's when you ANYTHING you want. When your 18, your a grownup but there's still things that you cant do because you're too young.
Ragman

Mon 10 Oct, 2011 05:38 pm
@GracieGirl,
18 is grown-up? bwahaha! At 18, I wasn't grown up - I was just as tall as I was going to get.
ossobuco

Mon 10 Oct, 2011 06:24 pm
@GracieGirl,
I like UC med centers, for a lot of reasons.

I went to the Jules Stein Eye Institute at UCLA Med for my eyes, first to the clinic and then to the head guy for my problem as a private patient. So there are various ways to connect to the place. UCSF is well regarded in the med world, from my old experience and recent reading. I don't know anything about their clinical set up re diabetes 1 or 2; I suspect (1) is separated from (2) in practice.
CalamityJane

Mon 10 Oct, 2011 06:58 pm
@GracieGirl,
GracieGirl wrote:

Early 20's sounds awesome! That's when you ANYTHING you want. When your 18, your a grownup but there's still things that you cant do because you're too young.

No, no, no, don't look ahead and waste your time with thoughts about being 18. Life is happening now at 13 and you should do as you're supposed to: be a 13 year old teenager and carefree.

Jane is 16 now and she starts telling me that life was the least complicated at 5 and she'd like to re-live that time - who wouldn't?! Actually, when she was around 10 she would say: "I cannot wait until I am 16!" and now that she is 16, she figures it's no big deal and she wasted all her time thinking about "sweet sixteen" while she could have been a terrific 10 then (she was nonetheless) Laughing

Every age has its ups and downs, the key is to really live for the moment.
If you look back or wait to get ahead - you'll miss out in enjoying what's happening today!
roger

Mon 10 Oct, 2011 07:02 pm
@CalamityJane,
Thing about being old enough to be on your own is that your list of people to blame problems on becomes very short. I mean, if I have to blame someone for my own poverty the choice becomes me or Wall Street.

OCCUPY WALL STREET!!!
0 Replies

GracieGirl

Mon 10 Oct, 2011 10:45 pm
@ossobuco,
I looked over the website with my day today and he says we might check it out more this weekend maybe. My dad looked into it a while back apparently, we had just decided on another hospital because of where we lived at the time. I guess since I told him I wanted to try it, he's gonna look into it. Im hopefully gonna start going to UCSF, It's just that its 3 hours away.
Their diabetes clinic is seperate. There's a clinic at Benioff Childrens Hospital

Oh! And thanks Aunt Osso!
0 Replies

GracieGirl

Mon 10 Oct, 2011 10:56 pm
@CalamityJane,
I know, your right. But 13's no fun though. I cant do anything.

Being 16 is no big deal? What?! Haha! Laughing You can have soo much fun at 16! You can drive and date and go out later and there's not as many rules and you'll be 2 years away from being a 'legal adult'. My sweet 16 is gonna be awesome.
Being 5 was okay. LoL But I dont really wanna go backwards. Razz

Im gonna live in the moment and enjoying being 13 but I cant help imagining how awesome it'll be when Im older Momma CJ. Atleast I have something to look forward too! Mr. Green
0 Replies

GracieGirl

Mon 10 Oct, 2011 10:57 pm
@Ragman,
Your a 'legal adult' at 18! Parents cant tell you want to do. Mr. Green Razz