9/11 Tragedy that changed everything. Your reactions and reflections

Reply Sun 11 Sep, 2011 12:01 pm
Where were you when the 9/11 happened? What were you doing when the planes hit the WTC towers? How did you come to know about this terrorist and horrific attacks?

As an American and as a human being, What were your feeling then and what are you reactions and who were the responsible for the attacks? And what are you feeling after 10 years as we mark the anniversary of this tragedy? What are your reflections about those who were the victims of these attacks?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 2,637 • Replies: 26
No top replies

Setanta

Reply Sun 11 Sep, 2011 12:17 pm
@bromanticlovely,
How is that any business of yours?
bromanticlovely

Reply Sun 11 Sep, 2011 01:17 pm
I am not being political or personal here with you. I am just asking your opinion. If you don't like to answer then, take a hike.
Setanta

Reply Sun 11 Sep, 2011 04:18 pm
@bromanticlovely,
If you don't like my question, take a hike yourself.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Sun 11 Sep, 2011 09:04 pm
Will the person or persons who thumbed down the response of this post's origninator please explain their criticisim?
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Mon 12 Sep, 2011 06:15 am
@bromanticlovely,
Quote:
9/11 Tragedy that changed everything.
I deny that it "changed everything."
It did not change much in my life.

To me,
it seems like a minor event:
3 edifices were destroyed:
1, 2 and 7 World Trade Center.
Out of all the millions of buildings in America: we lost 3.
We 've lost as many people annually in traffic accidents.
Compare that to what the English went endured in the 1940s.

David
0 Replies

trying2learn

Reply Fri 23 Sep, 2011 12:48 am
@bromanticlovely,
I was at home and had just woke up and did something I normally don't do and that was turn on the tv. I saw 1 of the buildings burning and the reporters were saying it was a small aircraft that crashed into the building. I thought no way a small aircraft could cause that kind of damage.

Then all of a sudden I saw another aircraft, commercial airliner, crash into the other building. I just knew this was an attack and not an accident. When I heard the Pentagon was hit, I called my husband. I asked what is going on? He said we are under attack and I don't know when I will be home. I said okay, do your job and protect others and hung up the phone.

I felt sad for the people who were murdered and those that jumped out of the towers. I didn't know them, what race, color or nation they were from, they were people. I am still angry that innocent people lost their lives that day.
JTT

Reply Sun 2 Oct, 2011 11:08 am
@Setanta,
You truly are the biggest dickhead that I have ever had the displeasure of "knowing", Setanta.

And I wonder why Finn chose not to take you to task for this latest, in a long long line of dickheadian responses. Instead, he wonders about who gave a vote down for the OP's response.
OmSigDAVID

Reply Sun 2 Oct, 2011 12:31 pm

Whereas the 9/11/1 attacks resulted in "2,996 immediate (attack time) deaths,
including the 19 hijackers and 2,977 victims" as per Wikipedia, according to
the Research and Innovative Technology Administration (RITA)
of the U.S. Department of Transportation, during 2001,
42,196 people were killed on the nation's highways.

Therefore: the Moslem attacks of 9/11/1 resulted in about 7%
of the national highway deaths for 2001.

The Research and Innovative Technology Administration (RITA)
See RITA: Table 2-1: Transportation Fatalities by Mode
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Sun 2 Oct, 2011 12:52 pm
@JTT,
JTT wrote:
You truly are the biggest dickhead
that I have ever had the displeasure of "knowing", Setanta. [Emfasis was added by David.]

And I wonder why Finn chose not to take you to task for this latest, in a long long line of dickheadian responses.
Instead, he wonders about who gave a vote down for the OP's response.
Is JTT implicitly certifying that he has been active
with a YARDSTICK? or a micrometer??

Has he measured all others of the relevant class?? He appears to imply that he DID.

( I don 't mean to defend Setanta [certainly not his infidelity to the truth], but still . . . )
JTT

Reply Sun 2 Oct, 2011 01:00 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
Quote:
Has he measured all others of the relevant class??

Okay, I may have been a bit hasty. I consider the contest for biggest dickhead a toss up between OmSigDavid and Setanta.
JTT

Reply Sun 2 Oct, 2011 01:05 pm
@trying2learn,
Quote:
I am still angry that innocent people lost their lives that day.

But still no anger, T2L, for the millions that have died over the last two centuries, the ongoing daily toll of innocents who die, the babies born deformed, the people killed and maimed by US landmines/cluster bombs, the people contracting and dying of cancer from US WMDs spread over their lands.
OmSigDAVID

Reply Sun 2 Oct, 2011 01:51 pm
@JTT,
David wrote:
Has he measured all others of the relevant class??
JTT wrote:
Okay, I may have been a bit hasty.
I consider the contest for biggest dickhead a toss up between OmSigDavid and Setanta.
I impugn the veracity, the integrity,
of your study. Have u taken all of the necessary measurements?????

I don 't believe that u have.
I think that u r just making it UP, faking.

David
JTT

Reply Sun 2 Oct, 2011 02:02 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
Go have your lunch, Dave. I think that your blood sugar is way low.
0 Replies

trying2learn

Reply Sun 2 Oct, 2011 04:54 pm
@JTT,
The topic is "9/11 Tragedy that changed everything. Your reactions and reflections". That has nothing to do what you posted towards me.
JTT

Reply Sun 2 Oct, 2011 05:13 pm
@trying2learn,
Quote:
The topic is "9/11 Tragedy that changed everything. Your reactions and reflections". That has nothing to do what you posted towards me.

Of course it does. Do you think 9-11 happened in a vacuum, T2L? Do you really not fathom that this will go on and on unless people like you demand that the US stops killing others and stealing their wealth?

Quote:
Well, if I were to write a book called The American Empire for Dummies, page one would say: Don't ever look for the moral factor. US foreign policy has no moral factor built into its DNA. Clear your mind of that baggage which only gets in the way of seeing beyond the clichés and the platitudes. I know it's not easy for most Americans to take what I say at face value. It's not easy to swallow my message. They see our leaders on TV and their photos in the press, they see them smiling or laughing, telling jokes; see them with their families, hear them speak of God and love, of peace and law, of democracy and freedom, of human rights and justice and even baseball ... How can such people be moral monsters, how can they be called immoral? They have names like George and Dick and Donald, not a single Mohammed or Abdullah in the bunch. And they even speak English. Well, George almost does. People named Mohammed or Abdullah cut off arms or legs as punishment for theft. We know that that's horrible. We're too civilized for that.

But people named George and Dick and Donald drop cluster bombs on cities and villages, and the many unexploded ones become land mines, and before very long a child picks one up or steps on one of them and loses an arm or leg, or both arms or both legs, and sometimes their eyesight. And the cluster bombs which actually explode do their own kind of horror. But our leaders are perhaps not so much immoral as they are amoral.

It's not that they take pleasure in causing so much death and suffering. It's that they just don't care ... if that's a distinction worth making. As long as the death and suffering advance the agenda of the Empire, as long as the right people and the right corporations gain wealth and power and privilege and prestige, as long as the death and suffering aren't happening to them or people close to them ... then they just don't care about it happening to other people, including the American soldiers whom they throw into wars and who come home - the ones who make it back - with Agent Orange or Gulf War Syndrome eating away at their bodies. Our leaders would not be in the positions they hold if they were bothered by such things. It must be great fun to be one of the leaders of an empire, glorious in fact ... intoxicating ... the feeling that you can do whatever you want to whomever you want for as long as you want for any reason you care to give ... because you have the power ... for theirs is the power and the glory.

See,

http://able2know.org/topic/178150-1#top
trying2learn

Reply Sun 2 Oct, 2011 05:19 pm
@JTT,
No I don't see and if we steal others wealth, then maybe you should contact the President to let him know we are not in debt. No need to raise the debt limit or balance the budget huh? We steal others wealth??? I am listening...
JTT

Reply Sun 2 Oct, 2011 05:30 pm
@trying2learn,
Quote:
We steal others wealth??? I am listening...

Read, American Empire for Dummies

http://able2know.org/topic/178150-1#top

especially Part 2.
0 Replies

chai2

Reply Sun 2 Oct, 2011 07:15 pm
I'm not going to discuss my personal reaction, and I have no big reflections on the matter.

I will tell you exactly what I saw and heard that day and over the next few days after that.

I was at car wash at 8:15am CST and saw what was happening on the TV. They were looping the same few minutes over and over. There was maybe 6 of us and no one was saying anything. No one was saying "Oh my God" or asking what was going on. No one was calling anyone or texting or anything. That included me, because none of us could really figure out what was happening.

An employee at the carwash came over and saw the TV, he got this goofy half smile on his face and said "AWESOME!"

I looked at everyone, but no one seemed to have any sort of reaction to that. I didn't know what was happening either, but I said to this guy "Do you realize it's a little after 9am in NY, and everyone has just gotten to work, and an airplane has just flown into the building they're in? Hundreds of people have to be dead."

He said (as near as I can remember) "uh....I, uh....meant like I was full of awe."

When I was leaving I told the guy who had my keys what happened, and he said "Oh yeah?"

By the next day I was getting all kinds of calls from employees all over the state (or rather, their supervisors mostly) saying that everyone was asking how they were going to get their money on payday.

Despite the fact there were disruptions in the postal service, banks, all airlines were down, announcements having been made that extensions were made for bills that had to be paid, everyone suddenly would not be able to go one day without knowing what was going to happen by the end of the week. One employee called and told me that the company should have been prepared for something like this. No one wanted to know what was going on in the search and rescue, or what this was going to mean in the future. They wanted to know what "someone" was going to do about getting them their money, and every penny of it, by payday. There's a lot more to it than that, but I'm too tired to write it all. Frankly, it's not even worth it, because I know the one's who are going to come around and tell me how wrong I am, and how I didn't see and hear what I saw and heard.

I lied.

I will tell you my reaction to the above.

I put my head down on my desk, after taking about the 30th call regarding "I have to get paid" and just cried.

I cried a long time.

I cried because I couldn't believe I lived in a world where there were so many ******* self centered, selfish people whose only concern was me, me, me. I cried because I hated everyone that moment. Because I saw how ugly and ignorant and evil people were being when they knew they could get away with it, when they didn't think anyone was looking (I didn't count). These were the same people were were running out and buying ******* yellow ribbon decals and ******* american flags to attach to their ******* cars when they got their ******* paycheck, so they could let everyone know how ******* great they were because "they cared"

That day permanently changed me in that I now know the vast majority don't give a **** about anyone but themselves. They may give a **** about someone or something else, as long as it doesn't put them out in any way.

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Sun 2 Oct, 2011 07:35 pm
@chai2,
How sad that this what you took from the day.