Fail to understand the usage "a-" in " a-shake and a-shiver"

Reply Sun 11 Sep, 2011 07:13 am
Context:
He thought his happiness was complete when, as he meandered aimlessly along, suddenly he stood by the edge of a full-fed river. Never in his life had he seen a river before--this sleek, sinuous, full-bodied animal, chasing and chuckling, gripping things with a gurgle and leaving them with a laugh, to fling itself on fresh playmates that shook themselves free, and were caught and held again. All was a-shake and a-shiver--glints and gleams and sparkles, rustle and swirl, chatter and bubble. The Mole was bewitched, entranced, fascinated. By the side of the river he trotted as one trots, when very small, by the side of a man who holds one spell-bound by exciting stories; and when tired at last, he sat on the bank, while the river still chattered on to him, a babbling procession of the best stories in the world, sent from the heart of the earth to be told at last to the insatiable sea.

More:

http://www.freefictionbooks.org/books/w/11159-the-wind-in-the-willows-by-kenneth-grahame?start=1
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 6 • Views: 895 • Replies: 11
No top replies

View best answer, chosen by oristarA
izzythepush
  Selected Answer

Reply Sun 11 Sep, 2011 10:13 am
@oristarA,
It's a poetic way of writing shiverING and shakING, it's more conversational and friendly.
Setanta

Reply Sun 11 Sep, 2011 10:23 am
It also has its roots in an Anglo-Saxon usage in which adjectives could be formed by adding a- to the word rather than using the present participle: " . . . her cheeks were all aglow . . . " rather than " . . . her cheeks were glowing."
0 Replies

oristarA

Reply Sun 11 Sep, 2011 10:39 pm
Thank you both.
McTag

Reply Mon 12 Sep, 2011 04:05 am
@oristarA,

That old usage crops up in many current words and phrases:

taken aback
astern
ahead (even, I suppose)
abroad
aglow
agog
alert? probably
oristarA

Reply Mon 12 Sep, 2011 06:26 am
@McTag,
McTag wrote:

That old usage crops up in many current words and phrases:

taken aback
astern
ahead (even, I suppose)
abroad
aglow
agog
alert? probably

We all like many an a, since AAAAA is a lot better than AAA. Smile

0 Replies

JTT

Reply Mon 12 Sep, 2011 09:41 am
@McTag,
Quote:
alert? probably

Be alert. The world needs more lerts.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Mon 12 Sep, 2011 12:03 pm
@McTag,
Try reading your list out loud without sounding like a pirate. (Especially if you include avast.)
McTag

Reply Mon 12 Sep, 2011 02:56 pm
@izzythepush,

In order to avoid sounding like a pirate, I missed out several other nautical expressions which sprang to mind. Seems I failed, Jim lad. You'm smart as paint, and no mistake.
dlowan

Reply Mon 12 Sep, 2011 06:52 pm
@izzythepush,
izzythepush wrote:

It's a poetic way of writing shiverING and shakING, it's more conversational and friendly.

Actually, I think it is more poetic because the sound of the words gives the feeling of the shaking and shivering far more than simply saying "everything was shaking and shivering"......read them out loud and you'll see the choppiness and shakiness of a-shake and a-shiver.....very lovely word usage.
Setanta

Reply Mon 12 Sep, 2011 07:00 pm
@McTag,
Belay that, Matey . . . hard aport and lay out like good uns . . .
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Mon 12 Sep, 2011 07:42 pm
@dlowan,
I think that it's very natural everyday language meant to add emphasis, and as you've mentioned, DL, it adds a greater sense of reality.

We arrived at the site and the boys were a'hammerin and a'poundin away.
0 Replies