Onion-sauce = the euphemism of "pustule"?

Reply Sun 11 Sep, 2011 02:25 am

Context:

'Hold up!' said an elderly rabbit at the gap. 'Sixpence for the privilege of passing by the private road!' He was bowled over in an instant by the impatient and contemptuous Mole, who trotted along the side of the hedge chaffing the other rabbits as they peeped hurriedly from their holes to see what the row was about. 'Onion-sauce! Onion-sauce!' he remarked jeeringly, and was gone before they could think of a thoroughly satisfactory reply. Then they all started grumbling at each other. 'How STUPID you are! Why didn't you tell him----' 'Well, why didn't YOU say----' 'You might have reminded him----' and so on, in the usual way; but, of course, it was then much too late, as is always the case.

More:
http://www.freefictionbooks.org/books/w/11159-the-wind-in-the-willows-by-kenneth-grahame

View best answer, chosen by oristarA
MontereyJack

Reply Sun 11 Sep, 2011 02:37 am
I doubt it has any reference to a pustule. I suspect it's just a way of saying "What a load of crap" if you were writing a book for kids a century ago . and you can't use language like that. The rabbit was trying to charge Toad for something he had no business charging for, a toll where there was no existing right to collect a toll, and Toad had no intention of falling for the con, and was brusque about it. But then Toad was totally self-centered anyway.
0 Replies

Ceili
  Selected Answer

Reply Sun 11 Sep, 2011 02:50 am
@oristarA,
No... not at all, no pustules here. Children's literature, in particular, is full of silly phrases that mean nothing in particular. Sometimes a phrase is a play on words, often used in place of other well know phrases.
For example, if I was nailing two boards together and I hit my finger in the process. I would likely curse. Daffy duck on the other hand would say fiddlesticks!!! or something similarly silly.. Author's will often give their characters a unique catch phrase or four Cool , depending on the situations they encounter.

Onion sauce! Onion sauce! just means the character is at a loss of words, kind of befuddled, surprised and angry with the rabbit who tried to get the toll.
0 Replies

oristarA

Reply Sun 11 Sep, 2011 02:59 am
Thank you.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sun 11 Sep, 2011 03:00 am
@oristarA,
I think it's most likely a rather nasty reference to what the rabbits might very well end up being cooked in.....rabbit with onion sauce.
Ceili

Reply Sun 11 Sep, 2011 03:11 am
@dlowan,
That's the beauty of children's literature. It leaves the door wide open to interpretation and imagination. It's been awhile since I've read these stories. If I remember, the Mole was a most unagreeable so-and-so.. You're probably right.
dlowan

Reply Sun 11 Sep, 2011 03:25 am
@Ceili,
Moley was quite pleasant.
dlowan

Reply Sun 11 Sep, 2011 03:54 am
@dlowan,
Testing my new keyboard.

I can say Rabbit again.

Moley and Ratty are the "nice guys". Toad is the naughty one.

It's funny how the whole class system gets assigned. Rabbits and mice are lower class, the stoats and weasels are the criminal class. I did a whole Abuzz thread about the oddities in WitW.....though being a digression thread, it covered a lot of other stuff too.

I looked up for annotations re Onion Sauce in the Wind in the Willows and found two theories!

http://wayneandchristina.wordpress.com/2010/04/06/the-annotated-wind-in-the-willows/

Quote:
In her annotations Gauger includes a significant amount of biographical information about Grahame and his family and friends, and cites to a greater extent than Lerer authorities on Grahame’s work, such as Peter Green. She also very impressively draws upon archival sources, including the Grahame papers at the Bodleian Library, while Lerer uses only published references. There is remarkably little overlap between their notes: their first common gloss concerns ‘onion-sauce’, Mole’s rejoinder to the rabbits demanding a toll in chapter 1. Lerer defines this as ‘hogwash’, and explains that ‘by the nineteenth century, onion-sauce had come to represent the simplicity of home cooking, in contrast to the fancy cuisine of court or the Continent’ (p. 48). In support, he cites the Oxford English Dictionary, which quotes Dickens’ mention of onion-sauce in Nicholas Nickleby, in association with roast pig. Gauger, for her part, interprets Mole’s words as ‘threatening the rabbits and making a joke at their expense. Onion sauce was always served with baked rabbit’ (p. 4). I would disagree that Mole is making a threat, but rather a rude remark; and Gauger then proceeds to claim that A.A. Milne, like Kenneth Grahame, portrayed rabbits as dimwits, giving as an example Rabbit in The House at Pooh Corner – but Rabbit is by no means dim, even if he isn’t always as clever as he thinks.
0 Replies