Why are those t-shirts called Wife Beaters?

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 4 Sep, 2011 08:51 am
The Marlon Brando film addresses the question why those shirts are called wife beaters, I thought. This was not the origin of that notion, but is a great illustration, without anybody actually getting hurt in the process.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 4 Sep, 2011 08:54 am
@Ragman,
The guy Brando is acting as .. is still around.
ossobuco

Reply Sun 4 Sep, 2011 08:55 am
@chai2,
True - didn't see your post before adding my last one, chai.
Ragman

Reply Sun 4 Sep, 2011 09:33 am
@ossobuco,
Ahhh. Thanks for the explanations. Sorry, I read past it too fast. That sort of character sadly still is around.
InfraBlue

Reply Sun 4 Sep, 2011 10:46 am
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/c/cb/Man_in_A_shirt_at_the_Brooklyn_Book_Festival.jpg
Guy wearing wife beater.

Don't know if he is a wife beater.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Sun 4 Sep, 2011 10:47 am
@Ragman,
Ragman wrote:

That sort of character sadly still is around.

Not according to Hawkeye they're not.
0 Replies

raprap

Reply Sun 4 Sep, 2011 12:59 pm
cholo
0 Replies

GracieGirl

Reply Thu 8 Sep, 2011 09:57 pm
@Ragman,
Yea, maybe. But I don't know. Watching a black and white movie would probably put me to sleep. I wouldn't be able to get into it so I wouldn't be able to tell if it's good or not. Why would you wanna watch a black and white movie when we have HD, color, 3D and blue ray movies? They're called, Technological advances, embrace them! Haha! j/k Laughing Laughing Razz
0 Replies

GracieGirl

Reply Thu 8 Sep, 2011 10:00 pm
@ossobuco,
Yea, unfortunately. But atleast guys like that can't have more than one wife anymore. They shouldn't even have one wife really. I could never let some guy, who wasn't my father, yell at me or boss me around like that. I can barely stand it when my dad does it.
Ceili

Reply Thu 8 Sep, 2011 10:33 pm
@GracieGirl,
You'll have to watch the movie to understand, but Stanley only has one wife, the other woman, the blond, is the wife's sister.
The movie is about a changing world, America's coming of age... in so many ways. It's about dreams and cold hard reality, class, privilege and snobbery, fading beauty and memories, and how anyone, with just a little prodding, can fall from grace.
Take the time to watch it and we'll talk.. Smile
izzythepush

Reply Fri 9 Sep, 2011 01:13 am
@Ceili,
Or she could just watch the episode of the Simpsons where Marge joins an Am Dram group.
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Fri 9 Sep, 2011 01:42 am
I am usually critical when women adopt men's clothes, but the taking of the wife beater I dont mind....it tends to look good on them

http://files.myopera.com/FrankeB/albums/3125601/wife%20beater.jpg
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Fri 9 Sep, 2011 05:58 am
1. All the men in my family wore those undershirts. Nobody beat nobody.

2. Gracie, please don't assume that everything new is better. A lot of great music was written hundreds of years ago and is still listened to. A lot of great painters worked hundreds of years ago. IMO, nobody can match them today. Not only are there many truly wonderful and great black and white movies, but there are some wonderful and great SILENT movies. They were made long before I was born, but I didn't assume they were no good because sound in film hadn't been invented. Enjoy and appreciate the present and look forward to the future. But don't thumb your nose at the past. You'll miss a lot of great stuff (and some not so great stuff, but it gives you perspective).

OK, lecture over. How you doin', kid?
chai2

Reply Fri 9 Sep, 2011 08:07 am
@Ceili,
Streetcar is one of my fav movies of all time Ceili.

There's a lot to it, isn't there?
0 Replies

GracieGirl

Reply Fri 9 Sep, 2011 03:24 pm
@Ceili,
Haha! OKay, fair enough. Smile Wink
0 Replies

GracieGirl

Reply Fri 9 Sep, 2011 04:09 pm
@Roberta,
Yea, I guess your right. I'll check out the movie and give it a chance. Now that Ceili told me a little more about what it's about it kinda sounds a little more intresting I guess. If I watch it and I still dont like it, I'll keep that to myself. Haha! Laughing

I didnt even know they had silent movies. I don't think I could watch those. You said they're some great ones so I'll just take your word for it. Smile Wink

I've been OK lately. I seem to be a little more popular this year at school. I guess my days as a nerd are over! Mr. Green Now the age difference is starting to be less noticable and less of a big deal I guess. Thank god for puberty! Haha! Laughing

I'm going to a party this weekend. A high school party, not a sleepover. There's gonna be music and dancing and tons of friends and cute guys! Haha! I'm super excited! I've gotta be home by 11:30, how awesome is that?! My dad's not being Mr. Crabby Pants anymore and he's actually letting me be a teenager for once. The party's gonna be at my friend Natalie's house and my dad knows her parents really well so I guess that's why he's okay with it.

A little while ago my friend London had a 16th birthday party that I went to and my bestfriend Tyler got some of it on video so I was thinking about posting it here(if I can figure out how) or just posting it on Flickr so you guys can see it there. I had a blast there too but It wasn't really a 'highschool party'. This party'll be better.

Other than that, your old post about grammar are coming in handy for my AP English 3 class (Thank-You-ROBERTA!), we write a lot of essays and stuff. I have AP Psychology and that's a pain in the but. AP American History isnt as bad as I thought, it's actually kinda interesting and my other classes are really easy for me so that's great! I'm actually multitasking at the moment. Im taking Cornell notes for Psychology while Im on a2k.

Wow! Supppperrr long post! Im a rambler, sorry. But you DID ask how I was doing, sooooo... Laughing Laughing

Thanks Roberta! Enough about me, How are you? Mr. Green
Roberta
  Selected Answer

Reply Fri 9 Sep, 2011 04:23 pm
@GracieGirl,
Gracie, Trust me when I tell you that you really don't wanna know how I am. However, the latest of my problems is posted here

http://able2know.org/topic/103192-264#post-4725898

on a very long thread about my health problems (and other problems).

I'm happy to hear that the age factor isn't as much of an issue this year. Thrilled that you're going to a party tonight and that you can stay out late. You know what I want, kid? I want you to have a wonderful, glorious, fun time. Throwing in another fun.

Glad to hear that my old grammar posts are helping you. I'm not really an expert, just a practioner. But I'm usually able to explain things clearly.

As for black and white movies, I wasn't crazy about Streetcar. I think you might be a bit young for that one. (The acting was great.) Why not look up To Kill a Mockingbird. Wonderful in every way imaginable. Another great black and white movie is Twelve Angry Men. Great story. Great acting. Great great.

As for the silents, you're not interested. OK. But if you ever change your mind, remember the name Charlie Chaplin. I laughed till I cried, and sometimes I cried without laughing.

Have fun, kid

GracieGirl

Reply Fri 9 Sep, 2011 05:44 pm
@Roberta,
Oh gosh Roberta! Crying or Very sad I read some of your thread. Mostly, only your posts. That's soo terrible!! I'm soo sorry that you're sick! Are you feeling okay now? You're getting better right? That really, really, really sucks! I don't even really know what to say.

I really wish I could help somehow. I feel like giving you one of the hugest, tightest hugs ever and a big kiss on the cheek!! It makes me sad that you're hurting Roberta. I know your older and we haven't even met before or anything but I think of you as my friend! Your really nice and funny and sweet to me and I want you to be as happy and healthy as you can be! Life really sucks sometimes Roberta!

I don't know if you believe in God or not but I'll pray for you. I'm not sure If I believe in God (He probably doesnt believe in me either Razz) so I don't know if my prayers would really help but I'll try anyway. It's the only thing I could really do to try to help you feel better, ya know?

You always say that your a pain in the butt or your whiny or whatever but I don't think so. I think you're pretty amazing and probably one of the strongest people I know considering what you're going through. You're gonna fight it and you're gonna win! Mr. Green How could someone as stong, awesome and cool as you not make it through this? I think you deserve all the happiness and love and support this sucky world has to offer and then some!

Thanks for wishing me a good time! That's really nice of you! You're grammar post are fantastic and you're right, you're AWESOME at explaining things! Very Happy Mr. Green
I'll check out To Kill A Mockingbird. I read the book and I LOVED it! I havent heard of Twelve Angry Men but I'll watch that too and let you know what I think. Mr. Green

I dont know about the silent movies. Haha! Maybe....

Get better Roberta! And that's an order from The Queen! HaHa! Laughing

But seriously, Your going through alot and I think your a really awesome and amazing person! I wanna be as strong and smart as you are when I'm older. Just know that you'll be in my thoughts Roberta! I wish you lots of love and happiness!! Wink

Good Luck! But you don't need it, Kid. Cool Wink Mr. Green

--Your friend Gracie! Smile
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Fri 9 Sep, 2011 06:09 pm
panzade puts his hand on his chest.
"I'm a little verklempt"
Roberta

Reply Fri 9 Sep, 2011 06:17 pm
@panzade,
Me too.

Poor kid is confused. She must be thinking of someone else.

Gracie, I'm going back in the hospital on Oct. 4. Thanks for keeping me in your thoughts. I'll take all the good vibes I can get.

And you're a good kid (no higher praise). My father used to call me that--on the rare occasions when I actually was a good kid.