Why are those t-shirts called Wife Beaters?

Ragman

Reply Sat 10 Sep, 2011 08:13 am
@Setanta,
Officially marked as a classic A2K tangent:

If a few people don't feel the term 'wife-beater' is a common term or see the mass pervasiveness of it...is now a moot point. What this thread demonstrates is that some people see as common practice or trend, others don't.

So..? We love to beat a horse into glue and then beyond!
Setanta

Reply Sat 10 Sep, 2011 08:14 am
I'm going to have to report you to the Repetitive Redundency Police . . .
Ragman

Reply Sat 10 Sep, 2011 08:20 am
@Setanta,
Then you'll be stuck in a Groundhog-Day-loop..because you'll have to keep reporting me in order to continue the redundancy. Mr. Green
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sat 10 Sep, 2011 08:21 am
I really hate Bill Murray . . .
0 Replies

wayne

Reply Sat 10 Sep, 2011 08:23 am
@Setanta,
If that's the case, I'll agree age would have no bearing during the period of vogue.
The point I attempted to make was the possibility of the phrase being coined at that time, yet not becoming vogue until it was picked up at a later date.
Obscure terminology gets picked up by every generation of youth and sometimes catches on.
At any rate, we're proving the subjectiveness of what is considered common.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sat 10 Sep, 2011 08:33 am
Wait a minute, what do submarines have to do with it? Or were you referring to sammiches?
izzythepush

Reply Sat 10 Sep, 2011 11:21 am
@Ragman,
Ragman wrote:

I doubt that wearing a sleeveless t-shirt causes someone to be violent - any more than does the drinking of beer.

I'm sorry I don't agree. A lot of people get violent when drunk, that's why the cells are so full on Friday and Saturday night.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Sat 10 Sep, 2011 11:22 am
@Setanta,
Have you stopped beating your wife?
http://invizable.files.wordpress.com/2010/10/groucho.jpg
MMarciano

Reply Sat 10 Sep, 2011 11:39 am
@GracieGirl,
Around here we call them boy beaters. I'm joking of course.

http://i953.photobucket.com/albums/ae16/Marne444/boyfriend2.jpg

0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Sat 10 Sep, 2011 01:29 pm
@Ragman,
Ragman wrote:

Officially marked as a classic A2K tangent:

If a few people don't feel the term 'wife-beater' is a common term or see the mass pervasiveness of it...is now a moot point. What this thread demonstrates is that some people see as common practice or trend, others don't.

So..? We love to beat a horse into glue and then beyond!
the inability to agree on facts is sadly a condition of our times...
GracieGirl

Reply Sat 10 Sep, 2011 03:59 pm
@ossobuco,
Osso, I know everyone isn't always gonna agree with me. I get that and I'm okay with that. It would be fine if hawkeye was just disagreeing with me but he's not. He's being a jerk and turning every single thing I say into something mean or negative. I mean really, when you read my earlier post did you think I was being mean or trying to be disrespectful? Honestly? He's just being a butthole about everything. I don't care about being cute and I dont care if hawkeye likes me or not because I don't like him.

Roberta's fine and she didn't 'remonstrant' me or whatever.
ossobuco

Reply Sat 10 Sep, 2011 04:02 pm
@GracieGirl,
'k, I'm not gonna look back (watching tennis). If she remonstrated, as I thought - don't remember why I thought that - it was mild.
I'm not a fan of hawkeye, at all.
(you, though, I like, grins)
GracieGirl

Reply Sat 10 Sep, 2011 04:09 pm
@Roberta,
Roberta, I'm glad you weren't offended or anything. I guess I shouldn't have said it, it was stupid. But I meant it in a nice way. Just because I'm younger than most people here doesn't mean that I'm a idiot and I don't know anything. I think I could totally help you or anyone else that was feeling down or going through a rough time. I've gone through rough times too, ya know. Even though I'm 13, I know what it's like to be hurt or sad or upset about stuff and I know that I've always felt better talking about it. I just wanted to be able to help. Smile

It's good that you don't have to stay overnight. Smile and if you have surgery I hope it goes well! I'll be following the thread.

That picture is super cute and you were adorable! I love it! Very Happy Smile
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Sat 10 Sep, 2011 04:17 pm
@ossobuco,
I'm a great fan of Hawkeye, since J Goldman stopped posting he's the funniest thing on A2K.
GracieGirl

Reply Sat 10 Sep, 2011 05:13 pm
@hawkeye10,
hawkeye10 wrote:

Fair enough..but I think expertise in the subject matter is very important....when it comes to life advise from a teenager is worthless..they have not lived enough to have the first clue WTF they are talking about, and they should know better than to pretend that they do. Where the **** are this girls parents that she is such a brat at her age I'd like to know....this should have been beat out of her many years ago. I have three kids, no way do I let them behave as she does.

You know what hawk, since you insist on calling me a brat I may as well live it up and Act like one. This should be fun.

First of all, I feel sorry for your kids. Hopefully they're all adults now and they've gotten a chance to get far far away from a dirtbag of a father like you who beat them. No need to worry about where my parents are. That's none of your business and besides, I'm sure my Dad is a better father then you ever were or could be. My dad never hits me and he never would. Especially not for defending myself when I'm being bullied by an old fart like you!

Secondly, you know that what I said to Roberta wasnt meant to be insulting. You're a idiot but not that big of an idiot. Anyone could read what I said and see that I was trying to be nice and nothing that I said was negative at all but a a-hole like you just had to come along and spread negativity.

I guess it's true what they say; "Misery loves company". But I won't let you make me feel bad Hawkeye. I won't let you annoy me and put me in a bad mood. You know, you're like a tick and I'm the dog. You just won't go away. Extremely annoying and impossible to get rid of. Consider me finally getting a
flea collar. Razz I'm putting you on Ignore. You know, I've learned that people only give you crap if you take it and I think I've taken enough of your s*%#.

Just because I'm 13 doesn't mean I'm an idiot, and it doesn't mean that I have to be respectful to you when you don't respect me just because you're a senile old man with anger issues.
Like I said, I'm putting you on Ignore. You can say all the mean, rude, insensitive, self righteous crap you want but I won't see it. Feel free to call me whatever names you'd like. Hope you have fun, butthead!

I would say it's been nice talking to you, but then I'd be lying. So how about we just cut the crap? You suck at life Loser! I think you're a lonely, pitiful old man who likes to aggravated people so that you can make yourself feel better. You're a big bully and you should cut it out!

I'm done. Deuces Hawk!

Now how's that for being a brat?

0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 10 Sep, 2011 05:28 pm
@izzythepush,
Well, go to town then.
He won't understand you.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Sat 10 Sep, 2011 05:44 pm
@hawkeye10,
hawkeye10 wrote:

the inability to agree on facts is sadly a condition of our times...

The inability to recognise a fact when it walks into the same room as you, and bites you on the arse, is something else entirely.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sat 10 Sep, 2011 06:40 pm
@izzythepush,
Back in the 1950s, Groucho had a weekly television series, "You Bet Your Life.'' A couple of weeks ago, The Girl was at the Ex (the Canadian National Exhibition) where she found a three DVD set of episodes of "You Bet Your Life." It's priceless stuff . . .
izzythepush

Reply Sat 10 Sep, 2011 06:53 pm
@Setanta,
It is the question that has no good answer.
0 Replies

rebeca-cabriales

Reply Tue 9 Oct, 2012 08:01 am
@GracieGirl,
I DONT KNOW WHY WOULD PEOPLE WEAR THAT KIND OF SHIRTS THEY GIVE A BAD IMPRESSION!!!
0 Replies