Seeking advice from artists or others re fixing favorite teeshirt

Reply Wed 22 Aug, 2012 02:39 pm
So:

I have a bunch of old tee shirts I bought in my hometown of Venice, California, over the years. Some are like tattered jeans, have a patina that is a kind of delight in itself. Most of them are too big for me now as I've lost weight, but that doesn't matter to my sense of sentiment. The last one I bought before moving was a mix of black and turquoise in the background, the letters Venice Beach in black with turquoise edging, California smaller underneath, in all turquoise. In between, a black and turquoise dolphin at play.

After I moved to northern california, this last one was the one I was least sentimental about, and I wore it while painting the new bathroom what turned out to be a bilious medium dark sort of greyed pink. A blotch of this, only one blotch, landed on the tee shirt right around mid boob height. I quickly repainted the bathroom a better color, wearing some other old clothes. For years I've never thrown the tee out, but I also don't wear it as a piece of finery.
I've gotten more sentimental, eh.

I'm wondering if I can fix it. This from someone who used to have twelve pairs of jeans, eleven with paint splatters, for wearing while painting paintings.
The bathroom paint was latex. It doesn't just scrape or wash off of the tee.
Today (laundry day) I was thinking I could put some black and turquoise oil paint over the blotch.
Or, some india black ink and the odd turquoise dot or two.

I know, I know, this sounds "possessed", but it amuses me.

Any ideas? I mean besides getting over it and wearing the thing to the grocery store, or turning it to dust cloths. (The spot is in the wrong place to put a charming pin of some sort).
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 2,427 • Replies: 5
No top replies

boomerang

Reply Wed 22 Aug, 2012 02:54 pm
I've used Sharpie on a couple of things that needed touch up without it being very noticeable.
ossobuco

Reply Wed 22 Aug, 2012 09:11 pm
@boomerang,
I can see that.
But the pink would show at least in slivers, or I'd have a big black blob.
Still, hmmmmmm. Might not be horrible.
boomerang

Reply Wed 22 Aug, 2012 09:21 pm
Is there any way that you could tart up the pink a bit?

Add some more?

Pink goes well with turquoise and black.....
ossobuco

Reply Wed 22 Aug, 2012 09:32 pm
@boomerang,
odd place for doing that, sort of south east boobville. I'll consider it tomorrow.
fun to think about.

It's true I could add additional pink, but the original tee is cool in its strong duo color teeshirtness.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Thu 23 Aug, 2012 05:56 am
@ossobuco,
Sharpies come in a bunch of colors now. It's quite possible you'd find a turquoise to match. (I definitely have a turquoise, but not sure if it's a match or not.)

I've used the sharpie trick a lot too, it's useful. (Latest -- coloring the tops of light tan screws black to fade into the decoupage design I added to a lightswitch plate:)

http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d130/sozobe/203365739393195347_7UWCWtnL_f.jpg
0 Replies