George

Sun 4 Sep, 2011 06:06 am
@Setanta,
I gotta wonder about the first tar to watch the shark's tooth and ashes
procedure and say "Do that to me too!"
raprap

Sun 4 Sep, 2011 07:03 am
Polynesian Tapping Method was probably the technique used by tars as it was used to document that they'd been there---kinda like having your head shaved when you're initiated into the loyal order of sellback.

Rap

0 Replies

Setanta

Sun 4 Sep, 2011 01:39 pm
@George,
Maybe Cook had a generous store of rum on board.
raprap

Sun 4 Sep, 2011 02:24 pm
@Setanta,
Rum on an English man-o-war! Shocked I am--shocked!

Hand me another flagon of grog matey!

Rap

0 Replies

Setanta

Sun 4 Sep, 2011 02:29 pm
The English government provided for the Australian penal colony with what we might call private security contractors. Men vastly outnumbered women there, and getting drunk was about all there was to do for entertainment. The officers of the colony cornered the alcohol market, and were known ever after as The Rum Corps. Rum has been crucially important to the history of the English speaking world.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Sun 4 Sep, 2011 02:42 pm
@George,
Electronic tattoo display runs on blood

http://cdn.physorg.com/newman/gfx/news/2008/tattoodisplay.jpg

Quote:
Jim Mielke's wireless blood-fueled display is a true merging of technology and body art. At the recent Greener Gadgets Design Competition, the engineer demonstrated a subcutaneously implanted touch-screen that operates as a cell phone display, with the potential for 3G video calls that are visible just underneath the skin.

The basis of the 2x4-inch "Digital Tattoo Interface" is a Bluetooth device made of thin, flexible silicon and silicone. It´s inserted through a small incision as a tightly rolled tube, and then it unfurls beneath the skin to align between skin and muscle. Through the same incision, two small tubes on the device are attached to an artery and a vein to allow the blood to flow to a coin-sized blood fuel cell that converts glucose and oxygen to electricity. After blood flows in from the artery to the fuel cell, it flows out again through the vein.

The tattoo display is still just a concept, with no word on plans for commercialization.

Dammit.
0 Replies

chai2

Sun 4 Sep, 2011 04:09 pm
Just my opinion, but I think a lot of young people getting a tatto nowadays assume they are going to be able to get them lasered off down the line. I'd love to be in on the ground floor of a business like that when it takes off.

Not saying it's a conscious thought at the time, but since they expect instant gratification with everything, when they realize they now look stupid with it, they'll just get it taken off.

I've really, I mean really tried to look at pictures of women, beautiful women with tattoos, and tried to see the allure.
Men too actually.

Just can't see it.
chai2

Sun 4 Sep, 2011 04:10 pm
@chai2,
oh...btw, I have 4 tattoos on my face.

2 eyebrows and 2 eyeliners.
0 Replies

Mame

Sun 4 Sep, 2011 04:45 pm
I saw a guy once who had a barcode tattooed on his forehead. What a maroon.
0 Replies

sozobe

Sun 4 Sep, 2011 08:57 pm
@chai2,
I really like some tattoos, on both men and women. Depends on the tattoo pretty much.

Some of 'em really make me wince, though. Like Zombie Boy. Going OK for him now, but that's a lifetime commitment, really. He's already saying it was stupid. Where is he going to wind up?

This dude:

http://fashionfatty.files.wordpress.com/2011/06/zombie-boy-bow-tie.png?w=500&h=281

(That's tattoos mind you, not face paint or something.)
Mame

Sun 4 Sep, 2011 09:12 pm
@sozobe,
I think it's really hilarious that you won't get a tat now because it's the 'new' 'it' thing Smile since you really want one, but I totally get it.

I don't have a tat and it's only because I have no reason/desire to and wouldn't know what to get, or why, or where. I guess I have no interest in it Smile But if I did, I'd get one - I could always lie and say I got it years ago (if I cared like you do - lol), but I think I'm pretty safe in saying I'll always be ink-free.

On a related topic, see that Jesse James has broken up with Kat VonD and she also got her show cancelled? Bad week for that lady.

EDIT: that's a pretty horrific looking face - that poor idiot, esp since he's already regretting it Smile Imagine waking up to that every morning? Getting a date must be tough.
chai2

Sun 4 Sep, 2011 10:07 pm
@Mame,
Here's one to regret....

http://thepirata.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/04/misspelled_tattoo_02-500x327.jpg
Mame

Sun 4 Sep, 2011 10:39 pm
@chai2,
LOL - Take a look at this site! So far, I think 7, 8, 9, 11, 14, 15, and 16 are real winners - still loading the rest Smile

http://www.ebaumsworld.com/pictures/view/810071/
0 Replies

Linkat

Thu 8 Sep, 2011 12:29 pm
@George,
No remorse as I've never gotten one and don't care to. My body is beautiful as is - doesn't need any "art."

My husband, now, is very happy he never caved into getting one when he was in the Marines. Was very popular and common to get one in the service. He had thought about it many times and now is happy he never did.
0 Replies

JTT

Thu 8 Sep, 2011 01:11 pm
Next to smoking, the dumbest thing that humans do to themselves.
0 Replies