i need help on what to do with my son..

Coreen

Reply Fri 2 Sep, 2011 09:46 pm
moms and dads! i need your help.
a week ago my 16 year old son was detained at the police station for a few minutes because he was caught taking 4 packs of cigarettes and a couple of gums..
when we got home he said that his friends forced him to do that and will beat him if he wont..

my son is a good boy but his friends are not.. they meet everyday that school.. what should i do? send him off to his grandparents and continue his studies there? talk to the parents of his friends?

CalamityJane

Reply Fri 2 Sep, 2011 09:56 pm
@Coreen,
Hello Coreen,

that's a tough one! If your son is indeed bullied by these friends, it would be best to talk to the school and the parents. Of course, this could also have some repercussions for your son, and he might be bullied even more. Is it possible to switch schools? Shipping him off to his grandparents should be the last resort, but if there is no other solution, it's better than your son being consistently bullied by others.

Enrolling him in some martial arts program would help too. He then would be able to defend himself from the bullies and he'll gain the necessary confidence along with it.

Good luck!
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Fri 2 Sep, 2011 10:55 pm
@Coreen,
Every son is a good boy, Coreen, until he's not. Kids are also apt to stretch the truth to make their misdeeds seem less their fault. Determine, first, if he's telling the truth about being bullied into doing what he did.

If he was only held for a few minutes for shoplifting, which is a pretty serious deal, especially these days - companies seem to take a much harder line stance on it than when I was young, then it seems like he's had a golden reprieve.

Talk to him, a lot, showing your concern for him as your son, but don't let him forget that what he did was wrong, and that court systems rarely buy into the "they made me do it" excuse.
0 Replies

Ceili

Reply Sat 3 Sep, 2011 04:22 am
First. Your son is full of ****. He's telling you a story, and it's a whopper. Your son is an idiot, just like a lot of kids his age. He thinks you are an idiot too, that is why he's telling you this bullshit story.
Your son stole some crap cause he thought it was cool, he thought he was gonna get some street cred with his buddies. Look, I stole some ****... I'm so cool. NOT.
Your son is not alone, he's surrounded with idiots, and girls who like idiots.
Take him for a drive, or a walk, in the worst part of town. Show him the road he's headed down, if he thinks stealing is awesome, show him where thieves end up. Let the police give him the gears. Remind him that if he ever wants to travel or smell the sweet scent of freedom or choice that he should probably travel the path of least resistance.
He will grow up, but he needs a cold hard dose of reality. No matter what the deed, he must accept the consequences and/or the reward.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Sat 3 Sep, 2011 05:02 am
My thoughts on this run closely to ceili's. My presentation of them runs closer to JTT's.
0 Replies

sasHa00

Reply Sat 3 Sep, 2011 05:07 am
@Coreen,
First off, calm down. I know this is difficult for you but you must stay calm for your son's sake.

This is indeed a problem. Peer pressure is something the teens can all relate to. Bullying as well nowadays has grown rampant. Taking him to your parents house and changing his school is a good idea but there is always a possibility that he will encounter the same problem with a different crowd. Have you considered sending him to a military school? I suggested this because military schools nowadays have programs that are specific to this kind of cases, or related to this case. Sending him there might be what he need to break his undesirable habits for occuring. There a lot of Teen Military Schools to choose from and by checking this out, looking for the best one for your son will be easier. All information you need can be found here. Consider what I am suggesting and think it over if this is really what your son needs.

EDIT: MODERATOR: LINK REMOVED
0 Replies

manored

Reply Sat 3 Sep, 2011 11:43 am
I think everyone here is being too hasty. The OP said almost nothing about his/her son and there is no way anyone can give decent advice without knowing at least a bit about him.

Specially Ceili. Dont you see the huge jump you just gave? You dont know the boy to be saying that.
Mame

Reply Sun 4 Sep, 2011 04:49 pm
She can't be too concerned because she posted on Friday and hasn't been back.
0 Replies

Ceili

Reply Sun 4 Sep, 2011 06:46 pm
@manored,
Easy people. so I used strong language. It's my opinion. I calls it as I sees it...
I've been there, done that, bought the ticket, watched the movie, had the same freaking soundtrack and all.... It's pretty rare that other kids goad kids into doing something stupid without the inclination already being present. I'm not advocating tar and feathering... I told her to take him for a walk. Calm down.
manored

Reply Sun 4 Sep, 2011 08:43 pm
@Ceili,
Im not worked out over this or anything. I just think you are getting ahead of yourself, even if you have experience with that kind of thing.
Mame

Reply Sun 4 Sep, 2011 09:07 pm
@manored,
There wasn't really a huge jump from Ceili's perspective - we may not know enough about this Coreen's son, but I'm sure many a parent has heard this tale before. Similar to "my dog ate my homework" - I mean really, how many times in your life have you been threatened by a group of kids to steal something? It's never happened to me.

So don't tell anyone to 'calm down' or whatever. Calm down yourself. She has every right to her opinion, as do you. So just speak to Coreen; you needn't comment to specific posters.

As I said, if Coreen really wanted our opinion, she'd have been back by now to check it out. Of course, she may have checked it out and thought none of the comments worth commenting on. In which case, we're the only ones who seemingly give a ****. In which case, who cares what we say?
JTT

Reply Mon 5 Sep, 2011 09:17 am
@Mame,
Quote:
So don't tell anyone to 'calm down' or whatever. Calm down yourself. She has every right to her opinion, as do you. So just speak to Coreen; you needn't comment to specific posters.

Limit your comments and opinions to the OP. The very essence of free speech.

Have you been religiously following your advice, Mame?
0 Replies

manored

Reply Mon 5 Sep, 2011 04:09 pm
@Mame,
Mame wrote:

When did I?

I dont get why everyone is assuming there was anger in that post of mine. There wasnt. Ceili also gave a jump regarding that post.
Coreen

Reply Thu 6 Oct, 2011 08:42 pm
@manored,
my post got deleted? omg! im so pissed right now. my happy mood is gone!
i created this thread and when i posted an update it to deleted?! seriously?!?!
hawkeye10

Reply Thu 6 Oct, 2011 08:48 pm
@Coreen,
Coreen wrote:

my post got deleted? omg! im so pissed right now. my happy mood is gone!
i created this thread and when i posted an update it to deleted?! seriously?!?!
Strange..I noticed it, and have no idea what is up. Good move with the military school though, I am not sure if anyone suggested it but it is an obvious solution.

Good Luck.
0 Replies