izzythepush

Reply Thu 1 Sep, 2011 11:17 am
@Setanta,
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 1 Sep, 2011 11:38 am
The old woman goes home, and determines to frighten her husband into reform. So she goes to a shop that sells fancy dress, and gets a "Satan" outfit. When the old man comes home, fumbling for his latch key, she throws the door open, and . . .

Michael Kane, I'm the Divil, and I'm come to take ye straight to Hell!

Ya don't say . . . well shake me hand Old Boy, I married yer sister.
0 Replies

InfraBlue

Reply Thu 1 Sep, 2011 04:17 pm
Arella Mae wrote:
I guess what I was thinking was like Catholicism is the rituals, robes, chants, and icons that the Russian Orthodox Church has. I don't know all that much about Catholicism so I hesitate to say even that much.

Quote:
The biggest problem I seem to be having about the Orthodox Church is it seems they do involve themselves in let's just say, "catholic things" but I know they say they are not catholic.

Yeah, they do rituals, robes, chants, icons. They even do incense! GASP!
ossobuco

Reply Thu 1 Sep, 2011 04:27 pm
@InfraBlue,
For anyone not getting it (not you, Blue), there is the Eastern Orthodox Church, also known as the Orthodox Catholic Church, and the separate churches like the Greek Orthodox, Russian Orthodox. Different systems.

I'm no expert, just seeing all this as confusing to some.

I'm ex roman catholic as most here know. I used to like the ritual, back before the changes. Except when I hated it. (I went to one too many novenas, that may have been the straw that broke the camel's back re my interest.)
0 Replies

George

Reply Fri 2 Sep, 2011 11:14 am
It might be helpful to borrow the term "High Church" from the Anglicans
rather than use (and misuse) the term "Catholic".

Just sayin'.
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Fri 2 Sep, 2011 03:47 pm
@Setanta,
Quote:
who are not deluded about the role of the United States in world history.

I suspect that you consider that you are one of these folks, Setanta. That's truly a crock, and the really sad thing is, you know it.

Quote:
American Genocides: Is Haiti Next?

by Stephen Lendman

February 22, 2010

Distinguished historian, scholar and activist Gabriel Kolko studied "the nature and purpose of (American) power (since) the 1870s," calling it "violen(t), racis(t), repressi(ve) at home and abroad (and) cultural(ly) mendaci(ous)." It's been the same since inception, historian Howard Zinn calling colonial America:

"a class society from the beginning. America started off as a society of rich and poor, people with enormous grants of land and people with no land. And there were riots, there were bread riots in Boston, and riots and rebellions all over the colonies, of poor against rich, of tenants breaking into jails to release people who were in prison for nonpayment of debt. There was class conflict. We try to" portray a benevolent nation. We weren't then. We're not now.

We waged war against Native Americans, African-Americans, ordinary Americans, the poor, disadvantaged and women. Since inception, we committed "genocide," according to Zinn: "brutally and purposefully....by our rulers in the name of progress, (who then buried ugly truths) in a mass of other facts, as radioactive wastes are buried in containers in the earth."

At home, profit over human lives and welfare took millions of working American lives. Abroad it was far worse, the result of direct or proxy wars, death squads, torture, occupations, alliances with despots, and neglect. Against indigenous and black Americans, it was worst of all. More on that below.

America's Genocidal Legacy

In his many books, scholar/activist Ward Churchill documented genocide in America. In "A Little Matter of Genocide: Holocaust and Denial in the Americas 1492 to the Present," he wrote:

After four centuries of systematic slaughter from 1492 - 1892, "the US Census Bureau concluded that there were fewer than a quarter-million indigenous people surviving," in America, reduced to at most 3% of their original numbers.

Millions were "hacked apart with axes and swords, burned alive and trampled under horses, hunted as game and fed to dogs, shot, beaten, stabbed, scalped for bounty, hanged on meathooks and thrown over the sides of ships at sea, worked to death as slave laborers, intentionally starved and frozen to death during a multitude of forced marches and internments, and, in an unknown number of instances, deliberately infected with epidemic diseases."

Shockingly, "every one of these practices (still continues in new forms). The American holocaust was and remains unparalleled, in terms of its scope, ferocity and continuance over time," thereafter suppressed by denial or silence.

Consider the grimness of the African holocaust, the result of 500 years of colonialization, oppression, exploitation, and slavery, much of it trafficked to America. Black Africans were captured, branded, chained, force-marched to ports, beaten, kept in cages, stripped of their humanity, and often their lives.

Around 100 million or more humans were sold like cattle, many millions perishing during the Middle Passage, a horrifying experience packing human cargo under deplorable conditions in spaces the size of a coffin, in some cases one atop another, in extreme discomfort, with poor ventilation, and so little sanitation that dysentery, smallpox, ophthalmia (causing blindness) and other diseases became epidemics. Conditions below deck were dark, filthy, slimy, full of blood, vomit, and human excrement.

http://www.thirdworldtraveler.com/Stephen_Lendman/AmerGenocides_HaitiNext%3F.html

You know, you could almost make a case for the long past genocidal acts, being that that was just how things were then.

But the historical record is too clear. Rather than learning from its mistakes, the US has capitalized upon its mistakes. It hasn't reduced its level of brutality, it has dramatically increased it.

How has all this been kept so secret? Why is it that so many Americans, even those like Setanta, who profess to be interested in history, have been so badly duped.

Like all great scams, it's been hidden in plain view.

It has the Setantas, who make a great pretense about being honest, explaining away the "excesses" of US militarism, US hegemony.

It has the JPBs who, even when it becomes clear to an honest mind, just kind of shuffles it all off to the side, because, well, just because that's easy to do -life certainly does have its own fair share of home grown woes to occupy one's mind.

It has the Arella Maes in great masses - unwilling to even consider entertaining the thought that "my country, the subject of legendary tales of goodness, can do any evil".

And then, of course, it has the Finns and the Gobs, direct, though exceedingly amateurish, practitioners in falsehood.

If all these genocidal actions weren't so serious, it would be highly interesting indeed to study just how a deception this grand could have ever been pulled off.

0 Replies