Setanta

Reply Thu 1 Sep, 2011 05:57 am
@Arella Mae,
It is probably laudable that you don't "give up on people" readily, but one does need to know when to cut one's losses. That's not an easy decision to make.
izzythepush

Reply Thu 1 Sep, 2011 07:09 am
@Arella Mae,
The Greek Orthodox church is very similar to the Russian Orthodox Church. I went round one when on holiday in Crete. If you can spare the time and money, Crete is well work a visit, there's Knossos where the minotaur was supposed to dwell, and the cave of Zeus amongst other very beautiful things. Here's a church to be going on with.
http://www.explorecrete.com/crete-pictures/album-oleg-crete-monasteries/fullsize/04-Kaliviani_Monastery_2_fs.jpg
Arella Mae

Reply Thu 1 Sep, 2011 09:27 am
@Setanta,
Setanta wrote:

It is probably laudable that you don't "give up on people" readily, but one does need to know when to cut one's losses. That's not an easy decision to make.

Not sure what you mean by it probably is laughable but I do have a hard time just letting people go. I try to find the good in everyone. I guess I'm just a stubborn redhead afterall.
Arella Mae

Reply Thu 1 Sep, 2011 09:29 am
@izzythepush,
Beautiful picture. The biggest problem I seem to be having about the Orthodox Church is it seems they do involve themselves in let's just say, "catholic things" but I know they say they are not catholic. I did see where one site explaining Russian Orthodox is katholikos (sp) so I need to find out if that is different than catholic and how.
izzythepush

Reply Thu 1 Sep, 2011 09:35 am
@Arella Mae,
From what I understand, through brief chats, it was all about rejecting the authority of Rome, not necessarily rejecting anything else.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 1 Sep, 2011 09:44 am
@Arella Mae,
The word "catholic" derives from that Greek root word, and it means universal. When an Orthodox Christian says that his or her church is "katholikos," he or she is simply asserting that it is the universal Christian church (and is denying that anyone who does not follow their liturgy and theology is correct--something which, of course, the Roman Catholic, Byzantine Catholic, Maronite Catholic and Syriac Catholic churches are inferentially saying). The rejection of papal authority came long after the Orthodox (eastern) and Roman (western) churches split over the issue of how to determine the date of Easter. The church in Constantinople, after Christianity became the official religion of the empire (which did not happen when Constantine was Emperor, despite what modern Christians claim), did not recognize the Pope as the ultimate authority, but neither did they recognize any of the Orthodox Patriarchs. The Emperor was the head of their church (which was in line with ancient Roman practice, in which all civil officers also had a military function, and a function within the civic religion). There is no longer an Emperor, of course, but Christians in the middle east who do not recognize either the Pope or an Orthodox Patriarch are usually Byzantine Catholics. Although the modern church would never admit it, the authority of the Pope is based on the model of the Roman Emperors (who were in business until 1453), and much Roman Catholic liturgy and theology is based on the liturgy and theology as it developed in Constantinople.
ossobuco

Reply Thu 1 Sep, 2011 09:44 am
@Arella Mae,
Setanta said laudable, not laughable. Laudable means praiseworthy.
izzythepush

Reply Thu 1 Sep, 2011 09:48 am
@Setanta,
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 1 Sep, 2011 09:54 am
By the way, the other day i was going to leave a link for AM, but it slipped my mind. Early Christian Writings is an excellent and the most scholarly site i've seen for the subject. Although i often do not agree with their historical claims, you won't find a better source for the documents of what is know as the primitve church--and the term is not being used insultingly. You can just browse the site, or you can look for specific people or works. I came across it years ago when i was going to post about Origen, but wanted to be sure of my ground before posting. I think you'll enjoy this, AM.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Thu 1 Sep, 2011 09:56 am
@Setanta,
Setanta wrote:
There is no longer an Emperor, of course, but Christians in the middle east who do not recognize either the Pope or an Orthodox Patriarch are usually Byzantine Catholics.

There are, however, quite a few Orthodox Christians, who do recognise both the Pope as well as (their) Patriarch, namely the "Eastern Catholic Churches".

Setanta

Reply Thu 1 Sep, 2011 09:59 am
@Walter Hinteler,
Yes, of course. I didn't say they were all Byantines.

At least they're not Germans . . . er . . . uhm . . . what i mean is . . . oh hell, never mind . . .
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Thu 1 Sep, 2011 10:04 am
@Walter Hinteler,
Walter Hinteler wrote:

[There are, however, quite a few Orthodox Christians, who do recognise both the Pope as well as (their) Patriarch, namely the "Eastern Catholic Churches".

And then there's Ian Paisley.
ehBeth

Reply Thu 1 Sep, 2011 10:08 am
@Arella Mae,
Have you ever attended any Catholic services? I used to like to browse in different churches/temples on occasion and have found what I learned/experienced useful in my ongoing reflections on religion.
Setanta

Reply Thu 1 Sep, 2011 10:31 am
@izzythepush,
Now there's an ugly business. I used to make my friends from Norn Iron shudder by doing a near perfect imitation of the good reverend.
Arella Mae

Reply Thu 1 Sep, 2011 10:41 am
@ossobuco,
ossobuco wrote:

Setanta said laudable, not laughable. Laudable means praiseworthy.

OH sheesh! That does it. I definitely have to get my eyes checked again! It's been about 6 years since I got glasses. Misreading words has become a more and more common occurrence lately. Thanx for pointing that out Osso!

Forgive me Setanta.
Embarrassed
Arella Mae

Reply Thu 1 Sep, 2011 10:44 am
@ehBeth,
ehBeth wrote:

Have you ever attended any Catholic services? I used to like to browse in different churches/temples on occasion and have found what I learned/experienced useful in my ongoing reflections on religion.

I went to a service years and years ago. The one thing I remember about it was that it was so quiet. The people weren't chatting like they do in other churches I've been in. I always thought how they seemed so reverant.
izzythepush

Reply Thu 1 Sep, 2011 10:51 am
@Setanta,
Why does he live somewhere smelly? Because( you can do your imitation now Set) THERE WILL BE NO POT POURRI IN THIS HOUSE.
JPB

Reply Thu 1 Sep, 2011 11:08 am
@Arella Mae,
I always saw them as athletic. Bow, sit, stand, down on your knees, up-down, up-down. I figured it was to keep people from falling asleep.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 1 Sep, 2011 11:10 am
@Arella Mae,
No worries . . .
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 1 Sep, 2011 11:12 am
@izzythepush,
At t'e end of days, among t'e sinners, t'ere will be a great wailing and gnashing of teet' . . .

But Reverend Paisley, what about me husband, the old reprobate, he's had no teet' t'ese t'irty years and more . . .

Teet' will be provided as needed . . .