Thomas

Thu 15 Apr, 2010 07:14 pm
Awww!

Somehow I can't see my classmates in third grade doing a penguin huddle. All those organized playdates these days must be turning the young generation into a collective of Borgs.
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Thu 15 Apr, 2010 07:41 pm
http://girlfromthehills.files.wordpress.com/2009/12/teamwork.gif

Awwww...
0 Replies

dlowan

Thu 15 Apr, 2010 08:31 pm
@sozobe,
That's hilarious!!!!
0 Replies

sozobe

Fri 14 May, 2010 01:50 pm
Sozlet had a bad day. I said, "Sorry you had a bad day."

S: It wasn't a bad day.

Me: [realizing this was a prelude to the usual "it's not good... it's GREAT"/ "it's not bad... it's HORRIBLE" thing she usually does] Sorry you had a horrible day.

S: It wasn't horrible.

Me: Sorry you had the worst day ever.

S: It wasn't the worst day ever.

Me: What's worse than the worst day ever?

S: [without missing a beat]: Today.
mac11

Fri 14 May, 2010 02:55 pm
@sozobe,
That's a funny girl!
0 Replies

Thomas

Fri 14 May, 2010 03:47 pm
@sozobe,
Perfect timing. Now I have visions of a badass standup routine at your and EG's silver wedding.
sozobe

Wed 28 Jul, 2010 08:22 am
@Thomas,
Speaking of which, E.G. and I recently celebrated our 14th wedding anniversary. Sozlet researched what anniversary that is -- ivory, evidently.

She made us beautiful cards that had hand-sewn and hand-decorated little cotton jersey pouches attached to them. E.G. and I opened our pouches to find -- one little human canine tooth each.

Her teeth.

Ivory.

She'd polished them up and everything. (She has one baby tooth left, a molar, the canines were the most-recent and second-most recent to fall out.) (Naturally. She didn't pull 'em out for the gift or anything.)
Thomas

Wed 28 Jul, 2010 08:37 am
@sozobe,
What a sweet idea---and happy anniversary!
0 Replies

DrewDad

Wed 28 Jul, 2010 08:44 am
@sozobe,
sozobe wrote:
She didn't pull 'em out for the gift or anything.

That would've made for a good story, too.
0 Replies

Roberta

Wed 28 Jul, 2010 03:00 pm
@sozobe,
Soz, Love this big time.
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Wed 28 Jul, 2010 03:51 pm
@sozobe,
aawww, that's such a sweet thing to do. Sozlet is just ingenious!
sozobe

Wed 28 Jul, 2010 03:56 pm
@CalamityJane,
Sweet but also rather macabre -- which I guess also describes her fairly well! Very Happy
0 Replies

ossobuco

Wed 28 Jul, 2010 04:15 pm
@sozobe,
That's great.
0 Replies

sozobe

Tue 23 Nov, 2010 08:33 pm
This is for Chai...

Sozlet's class was given an assignment. They paired up and were given a Giant Eagle advertisement/ mailer and $50 (actual mailer, theoretical $50), and told to put together a Thanksgiving meal for 8 using just that $50.

So once they have the turkey, what else could they afford? Etc.

Sozlet and her partner found a whole meal package (big enough for 8) for $59.99 (turkey, stuffing, cranberry sauce, green beans, pumpkin pie), but they absolutely were not allowed to go over $50.

Sozlet, in typical sozlet fashion, found some fine print in the mailer. People who signed up to get a Giant Eagle card would get 20% off of their first purchase.

So, they signed up for the Giant Eagle card, got the turkey dinner for $48, and spent the remaining $2 on whipped cream for the pie.

(Nobody else found the 20% off thing and there was much head-smacking when sozlet + partner presented their "meal" and revealed how they could afford it.) (The teacher was fine with it though!)
dadpad

Tue 23 Nov, 2010 08:52 pm
$50.00 buys a LOT of tofu.

well done sozlet. You make all your A2k aunties and uncles very proud.
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Tue 23 Nov, 2010 09:09 pm
@sozobe,
What a head on those shoulders. Good for her!
0 Replies

Thomas

Tue 23 Nov, 2010 09:30 pm
Clever!

This reminds me: Any indication if Sozlet inherited your haggling gift?
0 Replies

Roberta

Tue 23 Nov, 2010 11:09 pm
Kvelling for you, kid. What a goil.

As my grandmother used to say (spelling is iffy), "A gesundter in kupf."
sozobe

Sun 28 Nov, 2010 10:23 am
@Roberta,
I tried saying that in my grandmother's voice but still couldn't figure it out. (That works for many Yiddishisms -- my grandma was full of 'em but I never saw them written down.) What's it mean?

Thomas, she doesn't really shop like I do, though she's fairly cheap. She is super-efficient and only likes shopping for other people. For example, we recently went shopping for something for E.G. at a running store. Within 2 minutes she'd gone right to one thing she thought would work (useful, not too expensive). I thought it was a good choice but spent another 15-20 minutes looking around, just in case. Nope, the thing she went right to was the best thing in the store.

Minor thing that made me laugh, from the other day... we got a bunch of DVDs to watch on Thanksgiving. E.G. and I wanted to watch one (with her) that she saw was rated R. Her response: "What kind of parents are you?" (Monty Python and such is usually rated R and that's OK, this one ["A Fish Called Wanda"] was in fact a bit much and we stopped about 1/3 of the way in, after much eye-covering and fast-forwarding.)
JPB

Sun 28 Nov, 2010 10:51 am
@sozobe,
HA! We had the same experience with the same movie. We all just watched it again last weekend. She'll love it 5-10 years from now.