sozobe

Thu 15 Jan, 2004 10:14 am
There are often things I want to record that the sozlet does or says that are not really "What made you smile today?" material. I say I will put them down somewhere else, but I don't. So I decided to start this.

Feel free to comment, add your own stories, or just read.

("The sozlet" is my three-year-old daughter.)
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 33 • Views: 100,279 • Replies: 1,364
Topic Closed

sozobe

Thu 15 Jan, 2004 10:30 am
So, we had a hard day yesterday. She didn't get nearly enough sleep (usual is ~10 hrs, she got ~7.) I was desperately trying to keep her from taking a nap, as that had caused the problem in the first place. She has pretty much entirely given up naps, and if she DOES, she falls asleep incredibly late. (Like 1-2 AM. Shocked)

So, last night shortly before her actual bedtime, we were all hanging out and she climbed on my lap, looked very serious, and said "I want to play by myself." I said, sure, go ahead, that's fine honey. She looked sad and frustrated, put her head on my shoulder. I kept talking to her, and I realized that what she was saying is that she wants to LIKE to play by herself... I always give her positive feedback when she is playing independently, and she has realized that is something I like. But she doesn't always like it. And she wishes she did.

Sad

Poor little sweetheart. Will be spending a lot of time with her today.
0 Replies

onyxelle

Thu 15 Jan, 2004 11:52 am
Re: Sozlet stories
sozobe wrote:
There are often things I want to record that the sozlet does or says...

Mommies, methinks, are the same the world over. I too have thought of countless things that my girls (might I call them onyxlets??) do that I think need to be recorded.....In fact, I was thinking of starting a similiar thread as this just this morning. This is only confirmation of a sort for me. YOU GO SOZ!!....

Now...

We all know kids learn what the see right? Right.... so, we're alll in the car the other day, daddy driving, onyxlets in the back seat... and suddenly the game "mommy" is on... Now, I would like to say "that is NOT me" but truth abides in the mouth of babes...

This is what I head from the 4 (soon to be 5) y.o. to the 3 y.o.

"WHAT?!?! I KNOW you are NOT talking to me like that"
"Get in your room, and THINK ABOUT WHAT YOU JUST SAID!"
"Girl, i said get in you room - NOW"

I, the real mommy, was in the front seat nearly dying of laughter...

"mommy" is a game favored by the onyxlets....both of whom want to be 'mommy'

Soz - can you post a pic of the sozlet? I'd love to see her in a 'cute' moment.
0 Replies

sozobe

Thu 15 Jan, 2004 12:10 pm
Hahahaha!!!!!! That's hilarious! :-D

Sure, the "-let" thing is for anyone who wants it. It started with a poster on another forum named Jibbs, who called her daughter the Jibblet. Smile Then she started calling mine the sozlet.
0 Replies

Piffka

Thu 15 Jan, 2004 12:23 pm
Oboy. Onyx, the mommy games is hilarious. Waiting for more stories.

When my son was two or so, he seemed to start every sentence with "Apparently." Apparently Very Happy, that's what I did. Gads, it was hilarious. He'd even put his fist on his waist (also a mommyism) to make that "apparently" more effective.
"Apparently, you HAVE NOT made dinner yet."
"Apparently, I need my pants changed."
"Apparently, you forgot I wanted to watch Ninja Turtles right now."

He was also the one who, when cross-country skiing, would become incensed at anybody, particularly his sister, trying to pass him on the adjacent tracks. Once a very sweet lady started to pass him and he started whacking at her skis and boots with his poles, just as he and his sister would do to each other. She was startled, then laughed with us and zoomed on. Danger, danger, danger... two year old on skis ahead!
0 Replies

littlek

Thu 15 Jan, 2004 05:37 pm
goodiegoodiegoodie! A sozlet thread!
0 Replies

onyxelle

Thu 15 Jan, 2004 06:27 pm
tsk tsk tsk littlek. it's a kiddies' thread. allllll our kiddie tales are invited....which is a good thing...because the folx at work are probably kiddie storied OUT by now..
0 Replies

sozobe

Thu 15 Jan, 2004 08:37 pm
Hahahhahahaha!

Yes, ALL stories are welcome!

Piffka, that's what sozlet does with actually, which I didn't realize I used SO much until I saw her do it. "Actually, I am full." Etc. I really overdo the "really"s too, actually. Twisted Evil

Christo! <snork>
0 Replies

sozobe

Thu 15 Jan, 2004 08:39 pm
Hey, where'd Christo go...?
0 Replies

Diane

Thu 15 Jan, 2004 08:46 pm
Yay!! I'm loving this.

When my older son was three, he wanted to go back to Arizona with my parents. After tying to explain why he couldn't go with them, he packed a little suitcase with his favorite toys (no toothbrush or clean clothes), crossed the street to a friend's house, knocked on her door and said, "Mrs. Lund, would you please drive me to the airport?"

Always the independent one.
0 Replies

littlek

Thu 15 Jan, 2004 08:48 pm
ok, goodie goodie a kido thread! I have some good stories myself ven if they aren't about my own kids.

Eliza says actually a lot as well. "Actually, I really didn't like that thing, um, that um, because, that I didn't really like --" and then she'd stop because she'd caught on to my silent peals of lauter. There's the dark side as well, the "I don't want to be your friend anymore. I don't like you anymore!" thing that has me a bit perturbed.
0 Replies

Eva

Thu 15 Jan, 2004 09:15 pm
Christo went over to KID STORIES. I was afraid I was intruding and thought this was your thread, Soz. Guess it really didn't matter, huh? Oh well...
0 Replies

Piffka

Thu 15 Jan, 2004 09:38 pm
Diane -- that's funny!

Oh, Sozobe, these stories just come bubbling out. I didn't know there was a separate kid's thread. Are you sure you don't mind?

Littlek -- Isn't it hard to not show you're laughing? My daughter used to fix us with an evil look and say "Don't laugh at me." However, she wasn't perfect at saying el's so it came out, "Don't waff at me." We still like to repeat it now at odd moments and everybody, even J. will be good for a giggle.
0 Replies

sozobe

Thu 15 Jan, 2004 09:52 pm
I was SOOO confused when I saw that thread. Why did Mapleleaf start it several hours after I did? Then I saw it was 2003! Freaky.

Yes, any and all are welcome! I mostly just want a place to get things written down, and like onyxelle says, I worry that people have reached the saturation point, so want to have a place to go on and on guilt-free. Smile
0 Replies

Diane

Thu 15 Jan, 2004 10:02 pm
Keep 'em coming, soz.
0 Replies

Piffka

Thu 15 Jan, 2004 10:19 pm
Guilt-free, yes! Keep 'em coming.
0 Replies

littlek

Thu 15 Jan, 2004 10:30 pm
Never could be too much of sozlet stories.

My sister thinks that when I laugh at the kids for saying something that strikes me as funny they'll have bad self-esteem. Like when Eliza said the a guy came to school to show them 'rectiles' (you, know, snakes and lizards) and laughed out loud. And eventually corrected her. But, i told her dad when he came home about the new word and we laughed again, in her earshot. She seems to enjoy this. I dunno, what do you all think? Bad self-esteem?
0 Replies

sozobe

Thu 15 Jan, 2004 10:36 pm
Nahhh...

I laugh at the kid all the time, and it actually seems to be an interesting disciplinary tool. Defuses the situation when I collapse in giggles. Then she grins too, and says it again with more emphasis. Then we're both laughing, and we move on to other things.

Then again, she is a total ham.

We went to a restaurant today after the children's museum, I let her get one of those doll bottles at the gift shop, the ones that look full and then you "feed" the baby doll and it all goes into the (opaque) nipple. So she was telling the guy at the restaurant (take-out) all about how the special magic bottle was for her dollies ("where are they?"/ "At home. In my bedroom. In their special little dollie beds.") and showing him how it worked and generally expecting that he would find it every bit as fascinating as she did (which, to his credit, he at least feigned.)

Favorite song right now: "Whenever I go out/ the people always shout/ YOU FOR-GOT YOUR COAT!!" <giggle fit> She sings this, oh, 400 times a day.
0 Replies

Piffka

Thu 15 Jan, 2004 11:13 pm
Sozobe, I think you're right. Laughing with a child is so much fun for both of you, and shows the child that she is special. She's making you laugh! What could be better? Sozlet will learn too, that turning a bad situation by making it funny is also a very handy tool to have in your kit. I think each kid is different, but it is hard to imagine seriously hurting self-esteem if you are genuinely amused and express it with lots of love. My daughter would get all bent out of shape and we'd have to tell her that we love her but sometimes she makes us laugh.

"We're not laughing at you honey; we're laughing with you."
"But I'm not waffing!"
"Yes you are."
"Well, now I am, but I wasn't!"

We were in Phoenix once, watching a baseball game (Cactus League) and it was hot. R, my son, (we really do call him "R") was probably three and a half. He was drinking out of a huge cup of soda, it seemed nearly as big as he was. Y'know how the ice will get stuck on the bottom and then you tap it and the ice falls down all over you? Well, that happened to him... tap, tap, tap... kersplash. There really was a lot of ice! The people behind us (who had already been amused at the kids' antics throughout the game) laughed uproariously. R turned around, gave them a dirty look and said in a really slow, tough three year-old voice, "What're you laughing at?"

It was a great John Wayne imitation. Well, that sent them into gales of laughter. Even that wasn't likely, imo, to hurt his self-esteem. I think he had to have been saying it like that for effect. He KNEW we thought he was adorable.

If you laugh at children and say they're stupid, then you're stepping over the line and heading towards low self-esteem. As long as it stays light-hearted and loving, I think it is fine.
0 Replies

sozobe

Thu 15 Jan, 2004 11:41 pm
I love "waffing"! Sozlet has some of those, though she is generally very well spoken, like "aminals", that are cuter for being anamalous.

Another one from today: I think I mentioned before the big dress-up chest I got for her. I had put out the word, and she received lots of dress-up presents, too. Her friend gave her a set of Barbie doll brand dress-up shoes -- like, for kids, not for Barbies, but just like Barbie shoes if with a slighter lower heel. Like, marabou, rhinestones, clear acrylic, etc. Mules.

So, sozlet puts her various dress-up clothes together in... creative... ways. Today, in quick succession, she was:

A ladybug with an angel halo and ballerina shoes.

A bear (fuzzy brown outfit) with a firehat and purple glittery mules.

A rabbit with a tiara and pink marabou mules.

(OMG she is Deb Jr., isn't she??? Shocked)
0 Replies