mac11

Sun 18 Jan, 2004 12:14 am
I love all the kiddy stories! If I may, I'm reminded of a nephew story:

When he was three, J had a hilarious pronunciation of truck. It was something like "vuck". (All adults cracked up when he said it.) He was especially interested in construction vehicles, and learned the name of the dump truck - "dumb vuck". For Xmas that year he received several dumptrucks in various sizes, so we could hear him say it over and over... (And yes, we have it on video - we watched it at xmas this year and made J, who's now a very grown up 16, watch it, too.)
0 Replies

ehBeth

Sun 18 Jan, 2004 08:35 am
<trying to keep an appropriately serious face>
0 Replies

bigdice67

Mon 19 Jan, 2004 09:34 am
Why should one keep a serious face, beth? I'm wetting my pants here!!!

WTG mac!
0 Replies

Diane

Mon 19 Jan, 2004 09:42 am
This is a wonderful way to start the day!!!!
0 Replies

Piffka

Mon 19 Jan, 2004 10:21 am
mac11 wrote:
If I may, I'm reminded of a nephew story...

I will remember this one a long time, too! <still chuckling>
0 Replies

sozobe

Mon 19 Jan, 2004 10:31 am
HA! I love it. If it's on video 'n' everything, I thought maybe make a bundle on America's Funniest Home Videos, but I dunno, may be a BIT too R-rated.

In a departure from the funny stuff (keep it coming tho!) was thinking last night how toddlerhood and teenagerhood are similar, and how it's not just the child's desire for independence that makes it thorny but the parent's. Sozlet's had a minor cold, was terribly tired last night but couldn't fall asleep, she asked me to walk her around like when she was a baby. I did, and she fell asleep within a few minutes, and I looked down at her sweet little face, her little chubby hand holding on to my hand, and remembered what she was like as a tiny baby, and was so happy she was still my baby, in so many ways.

Then I lowered her on to her bed, and she wouldn't let go of my hand, and I turned (mentally) on a dime... hel-lo, I want to get to sleep myself! Let go! Then she let go, I went back to the big bed, went to sleep, and she turned up a few hours later, insisting on sleeping on my arm. So again there was that mixture of sweet snuggliness and "but I WISH I could roll over already... grrr..."
0 Replies

onyxelle

Mon 19 Jan, 2004 10:40 am
Funny, you mention that Soz:

I know a couple who's 8 year old son still spends most nights in bed w/ the mom and dad...The dad doesn't like it though. It's a constant source of jokishness and "put your foot down B!!" for me, poor guy just hangs his head and continues inpattern

I never let the girls sleep in the bed w/ my husband and I. Well, they're 3 and 5 now, and while, if ncessary because of illness or something similar, I'll lie down in their beds with them to comfort them, I have a general rule, that come bedtime, they do it in their own room & their own beds. If they're taking a nap, or two of us are taking a nap mid-day, I'll let them sleep with me, but as for waking up in the middle of the night, I don't. They'll wake up and knock on my door, explain the problem, and if necessary I'll go w/ them back to their room and talk to them or lie with them.

0 Replies

sozobe

Mon 19 Jan, 2004 10:46 am
It's not a problem for us. I'm lucky in that sozlet is a wonderful sleeper in general, and likes going to bed. A whole (major!) battleground of toddlerhood just isn't an issue for us.

Except when she's sick (rubs arm...)
0 Replies

sozobe

Mon 19 Jan, 2004 02:25 pm
A few minutes ago:

Sozlet decided when I was sitting on a chair with my legs propped up that my legs would make a good bridge, she would be the troll, and lego figures would make the Billy Goats Gruff. So I took the smallest "goat", and did the requisite "Trip, trop, trip, trop, trip, trop..."

This was her cue to roar "Who's that tripping over my bridge??!"

But, nothing. I couldn't see her from my vantage point, tried again. "Trip, trop, trip, trop, trip trop..."

Nothing.

I said, "Troll?! Hello!! I'm tripping over your bridge!"

Nothing.

I look down, see a little butt sticking out from UNDER the chair. Lean over sideways, she is laying down in a sunbeam, eyes closed. She senses me looking, opens her eyes, says evenly, "I'm a NICE troll, and I'm sleeping" and closes her eyes again.
0 Replies

sozobe

Mon 19 Jan, 2004 04:02 pm
Sozlet dances:

Curtsy dance: Only done while wearing a skirt. Hem is daintily held, much skipping and cavorting.

"Bat, bat, come under my hat" dance: Arms flap. Knees bend. Bopping. Vaguely hip-hoppish.

Bra dance: One of my bras (preference for red silk and lace one if she can get ahold of it) is looped over her arms (over clothes). Much hopping, some shimmying.

Little bunny foo foo dance: Hopping. Preferred location, in upstairs hallway, with E.G. standing in one door (office) and me standing in the opposite door (bathroom). Then hops back and forth and back and forth and back and forth...
0 Replies

Wy

Mon 19 Jan, 2004 04:08 pm
Toddlers and teens are dealing with the same issues. Everything cycles, around and around...
0 Replies

onyxelle

Mon 19 Jan, 2004 07:19 pm
i'm loving those dances...
0 Replies

sozobe

Mon 19 Jan, 2004 07:30 pm
Very Happy

Do you know the "bat, bat" rhyme? Mother Goose has some weird rhymes, I tell ya.

Bat, bat come under my hat
And I'll give you a slice of bacon
And if I bake I'll give you a cake
If I'm not mistaken.
0 Replies

onyxelle

Mon 19 Jan, 2004 07:34 pm
No, i do not know the bat rhyme, but do you know the bumble bee song? It's the fav of the 5 y.o.

(clasp hands together as if holding it)
IIIIIIII'mmmm bringing home a baby bumble bee,
won't my mommy be so proud of me...
I'm bringing home a baby bumble bee (open hands)
OWWWW, he stung me!!

there are 2 other verses....
0 Replies

sozobe

Mon 19 Jan, 2004 07:35 pm
Cute!! Nope, didn't know that one.
0 Replies

Wy

Mon 19 Jan, 2004 07:40 pm
We used to sing the Bumble Bee song with our tongue curled around in our mouths... as if the bee had stung our tongue, I guess..
0 Replies

ehBeth

Mon 19 Jan, 2004 07:58 pm
http://www.kaceyone.com/kidsworld.html
0 Replies

ehBeth

Mon 19 Jan, 2004 08:00 pm
Baby Bumble Bee

I'm bringing home my baby bumble bee
Won't my mommy be so proud of me
I'm bringing home my baby bumble bee
Ooh eee it stung me!

I'm squishing up my baby bumble bee
I'm squishing up my baby bumble bee
Ooh ee it's all over me!

I'm licking up my baby bumble bee
Ooh eee needs salt!

I'm bringing home my baby dinosaur
Won't my mommy hide behind the door
I'm bringing home my baby dinosaur
Ooh eee it stepped on me!

Ooh eee I feel sick!

I'm (throwing up noise) my baby bumble bee
I'm (throwing up noise) my baby bumble bee
Ooh eee what a mess!

I'm sweeping up my baby bumble bee
I'm sweeping up my baby bumble bee
Ooh eee my mommy loves me!

Actions:

Bringing home the bumble bee: cup hands as if carrying an insect
Squishing up the bumble bee: use hands to squish!
Licking up the bumble bee: lick hands one after the other
Bringing home the dinosaur: hands over shoulder as if leading
something really big on a leash!

from ScoutsCan.com's Song Library
http://www.scoutscan.com/songs/b/bsong003.html
0 Replies

onyxelle

Mon 19 Jan, 2004 08:02 pm
VERY NICE EHBETH....I didn't have the energy to type all that....nor to go find it. hats off to ya
0 Replies

ehBeth

Mon 19 Jan, 2004 08:08 pm
Very Happy

I always loved the baby bumble bee song/game.
0 Replies