sozobe

Sun 28 Nov, 2010 11:07 am
@JPB,
Smile Hope so. I can't remember how old I was when I saw it but I didn't remember it being quite so raunchy.

Wanda saying to Otto, mid-passionate embrace, "Even if you really were my brother, I'd still want to **** you" (but without the asterisks or bleeps) was the last straw. (Captions help in that we could see what was about to be said and we both dove for the remote BUT she reads fast too -- her own hands went over her eyes and then once the movie was finally stopped she shot us both extremely disapproving looks...)
Roberta

Sun 28 Nov, 2010 03:53 pm
@sozobe,
sozobe wrote:

I tried saying that in my grandmother's voice but still couldn't figure it out. (That works for many Yiddishisms -- my grandma was full of 'em but I never saw them written down.) What's it mean?

God bless your head.
sozobe

Sun 28 Nov, 2010 06:41 pm
@Roberta,
A-ha! Thank you.
0 Replies

Thomas

Mon 29 Nov, 2010 04:07 pm
@sozobe,
sozobe wrote:
(Monty Python and such is usually rated R and that's OK, this one ["A Fish Called Wanda"] was in fact a bit much and we stopped about 1/3 of the way in, after much eye-covering and fast-forwarding.)

You stopped before the movie drove home the importance of speaking Russian? Sozlet is right: What kind of parents are you?
0 Replies

Thomas

Mon 29 Nov, 2010 04:13 pm
@sozobe,
sozobe wrote:
her own hands went over her eyes and then once the movie was finally stopped she shot us both extremely disapproving looks...)

You parents are so immature! Which reminds me: did you Americans ever get the Ikea commercial at the movies where a nekkid woman, with aViking helmet, chases a nekkid man with a Viking beard through their living room? Eventually the door opens, and two people enter. They're silent, shaking their heads, with facial expressions that practically yell disapproval of the couple's immaturity.

It's their teenage daughter and her boyfriend.
sozobe

Mon 3 Jan, 2011 10:59 am
The word "intangible" came up. I explained it as "what you can't touch." She nodded. Beat. "That must be MC Hammer's favorite word." (Took me a minute.)
DrewDad

Mon 3 Jan, 2011 11:02 am
@Thomas,
In the US, it's a not-nekkid woman with a pitchfork chasing a not-nekkid man wearing a pig mask and squealing.
DrewDad

Mon 3 Jan, 2011 11:02 am
@sozobe,
lol
0 Replies

sozobe

Thu 17 Mar, 2011 03:53 pm
OMG. The texting, it has arrived.

Sozlet doesn't have a cell phone but she has joint custody of the family iPod. Her old best friend from preschool, who she still sees now and then but not as often as either of them would like, told her about TextFree when they got together on Saturday. She's having a ton of fun with it. Today Sozlet's friend Kay was over and the three of them were texting away for quite a while, complete with damn you autocorrect typos. "What are you doing?". "Testing you". "I mean texting you.". They spent about half their time explaining what they really meant.
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Thu 17 Mar, 2011 04:16 pm
@DrewDad,
DrewDad wrote:
In the US, it's a not-nekkid woman with a pitchfork
chasing a not-nekkid man wearing a pig mask and squealing.
Woudn 't it be easier just to shoot him ?
0 Replies

dadpad

Tue 5 Apr, 2011 07:10 am
I was just reading back. when you mention about sozlets friends /unfriends and the machinatins of the girl cliques I was (somehow) reminded of The Sour Grapes.
Did you ever see the Bannana splits? it was a TV show whenI was a kid (sub 10 years old).
The sour grapes were the arch enemy of the banana splits. An all girl go go dancing troup.

Its a music/dance clip

0 Replies

sozobe

Fri 6 May, 2011 01:10 pm
This is minor, but kind of interesting re: how context changes things.

I was waiting for sozlet after school today and saw a group of girls ran up to her, seemingly excited about something. She listened and then was really dismissive. She didn't outright roll her eyes but she clearly was responding in the negative to whatever they had to say and didn't seem interested in their follow-ups, and they seemed disappointed in her response. I was a little taken aback, and ready to give her a talking-to. (The vibe I was getting was that they were asking her to walk with them or something and she was saying no.)

So later I asked her what was up with that. She said "OH. Well, Sally [a girl who is viewed with some suspicion by the 'popular' girls who had come running up to sozlet] was cleaning up and accidentally put my pencil in her backpack. She found it and gave it back to me. Tina [the ringleader of the running-up girls] was saying that Sally stole my pencil. No, it was just an accident. She kept going on about it and I was like no, Sally didn't steal anything."

With that context, I could see that she was getting all kinds of cues to dish/ agree that there was something wrong with Sally, and she just wouldn't.
dlowan

Fri 6 May, 2011 08:45 pm
@sozobe,
Good kid!
0 Replies

sozobe

Tue 31 May, 2011 07:49 am
A trio of reminders that the kid's growing up:

Yesterday, her (very long again) hair was horribly tangled up from two consecutive days at the pool. While she's generally patient when I struggle to brush out her hair, it's always been a lot of work and a lot of stress -- I try to avoid hurting her, she squawks, I think she's being oversensitive to squawk at that when I'm being SO careful, etc.

But she's been taking care of her own hair since it was cut about a year ago. (The decision to cut it was made because of just this sort of situation. Long, thick, curly hair + pool = chaos.) So instead of it being a Huge Big Deal, she took a shower on her own, washed her hair on her own, and brushed it out on her own. All taken care of, no stress. Whew. That was nice.

Last night she had a terrible time going to sleep, not sure why. Heat, general emotions about school ending (she's always sad at the end of the school year), busy weekend, not sure. She didn't get to sleep until 'round midnight. She really needs at least eight hours of sleep or she reliably has health issues -- her teacher knows this and she's come in late for this reason probably 5 or 6 times this year. She's missed very little school due to illness so it's a reasonable tradeoff. (Usually not more than an hour late, and since she usually finishes her school assignments very quickly, she makes up anything she missed with no problem.)

I knew that there was an event at school today, she was the captain of a team that had participated in the early stages and she said that she hadn't made it to the finals. So she'd just be observing the finalists compete today. Didn't seem that urgent.

I wrote the email to her teacher this morning saying that sozlet would be late today, as per usual, not normally a problem. Got an email back about 15 minutes after school starts: "Sozlet 's team is in the finals so it's better if she can get here ASAP." ACK!

So we rushed around getting ready (it was a world record, about 15 minutes from eyes opening to out the door, helped somewhat by her happiness that she was in the finals after all -- not sure what happened there), and in the car on the way to school I said that she should prepare herself for her team being mad at her for being late. She said, "Well, I don't want to blame you, but..." Shocked I cut her off and said "I'm glad you're not blaming me because I did everything I could to get you to sleep last night and you kept fighting it, you told me you weren't in the finals so I didn't think you had to be at school right on time today, plus last night you BEGGED me to let you sleep late this morning."

Looked in the rearview mirror expecting protest but she was looking thoughtful and said, "You're right." That's it.

Whether it was sincere or she's just figured out how to handle me when I'm on the edge of getting seriously pissed off, it was strikingly mature.

Yesterday we went to a party, three couples + three kids (including sozlet). She spent most of the time with the kids, would hang around with the grown-ups and chat now and then. We were having a discussion about working + motherhood -- two of us were moms who had worked and became stay-at-home moms, one is a medical doctor who is thinking of starting a family but has reservations. I was talking about how difficult the transition from working to motherhood was, especially since my job was so intense but so rewarding. I made things happen in a very concrete way on a daily basis, and would get heartfelt thanks ("Thank you for changing my life"). Whereas with a baby, I was putting all of that effort into things, but the response I'd get was "wah wah wah."

I was talking to the grown-ups but sozlet was in the vicinity, and she stood up, caught my eye, and said "Thank you" very seriously, then went back to playing with the littler kids. Everyone cracked up.

and grown-up in another way -- she can text on her iPod, and her friends sometimes commandeer their parents' cell phones to text my Blackberry. So yesterday she was sitting on the couch with the iPod in one hand and the Blackberry in the other, simultaneously texting with friends. (There were 28 messages on the iPod yesterday morning. "Sozlet r u there?" "Hello??" "r u there?????" "o>0>0>0>0>0>" "sozlet" "where r u?" "we need to go to the pool" "ask your mom about pool" "r u there????")
chai2

Tue 31 May, 2011 08:45 am
Nice updates.
Thanks
0 Replies

DrewDad

Tue 31 May, 2011 08:49 am
@sozobe,
I get deja vu reading this; we just went to the pool yesterday....
sozobe

Tue 31 May, 2011 01:20 pm
@DrewDad,
How are your little 'uns doing, DrewDad? Haven't seen anything about them in a while (may have just missed it though...)
DrewDad

Tue 31 May, 2011 02:18 pm
@sozobe,
We're all good. We've had a difficult time with The Boy. He's not a sleeper, but that seems to be improving now.
sozobe

Wed 1 Jun, 2011 07:53 am
@DrewDad,
Great, glad he's improving. A non-sleeper can wreak havoc with the whole family. (How old is he now?)
DrewDad

Wed 1 Jun, 2011 09:17 am
@sozobe,
Just turned 13 months.
0 Replies