jespah

Wed 5 May, 2004 10:23 am
Hmm, perhaps the next question is: how much do you think a sheep costs, dear?

Then again, the answer might be her grabbing her piggy bank, running over and asking: is this enough?

And then you might have to establish a sheep fund. Or convince her that a goat might be a better buy.
0 Replies

sozobe

Wed 5 May, 2004 10:33 am
She likes goats!!

(Btw we often talk about things like this; she has a very active fantasy life but recognizes the barrier. Before we were talking about sheep, we were talking about the NICE green, blue, and red Tyrannasaurus Rexes with WINGS that were playing in the backyard and waiting for her to finish dinner so she could go play with them. So I'm not actually concerned about the sheep demands once we arrive in Columbus. "Mama! Where are the sheep??!" Er, at least I hope not. Shocked)
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Wed 5 May, 2004 10:35 am
Ask her who the living pooper scooper will be.
0 Replies

sozobe

Wed 5 May, 2004 10:43 am
Hey, it's fertilizer!

We have a deck, she'd be content to sit there and watch the sheep as the yard gets poopier and poopier and poopier...

(Future tense... "will hopefully have a deck"... haven't closed yet.)
0 Replies

Vivien

Wed 5 May, 2004 01:21 pm
she sounds an absolute delight and very intelligent.
0 Replies

sozobe

Wed 5 May, 2004 01:37 pm
Follow-up:

We're going to go see some baby buffalo in a little while, and now she thinks THEY would be great to have in our backyard. I asked the pooper-scooper question; "Buffalo poop a lot. Who would clean it up?" And she said "well we'd just shovel it up like snow and put it in the trashcan." She didn't seem concerned. Then she said, "And if there were dinosaurs who were still alive and who were nice and could talk that would be GREAT!" I said yes, but what does that have to do with buffalo? She said, "Well, the dinosaurs could clean up for us!!"

Delegation, a good skill.
0 Replies

Eva

Wed 5 May, 2004 02:44 pm
Yes it is. My son gets angry about all the dogs who poop in our front yard. When we got back from Louisiana, he said we should have brought back some alligators to stake out in the yard to keep the dogs away.

Yeah, I can just see alligators on chains out by the azaleas & dogwoods, can't you?! A real friendly welcome.

(I admit, I do think about it, though, whenever I see another pile of dog poop.)
0 Replies

Setanta

Wed 5 May, 2004 02:47 pm
Sheep stink . . . i'm not sure about dinosaurs, though . . .
0 Replies

ehBeth

Wed 5 May, 2004 05:13 pm
Goats stink huuuuuuuuuuuuge.
and so do porcupines. Porcupines smell like the worst-ever-in-the-world-BO <shudder>
0 Replies

ossobuco

Wed 5 May, 2004 06:22 pm
really? I didn't know that.. ehBeth.

On buffalo, if you're going to have a wee herd, soz, consider water buffalo, for the possible mozzarella..
0 Replies

sozobe

Sat 15 May, 2004 05:57 pm
We've been trying to get a lot done in preparation for moving. Our weekends have been mostly chores chores and more chores. Sozlet kept trying to get us to play with her today -- I did for stretches, then had to get back to work. After being rebuffed for the umpteenth time (by both me and E.G.), she placed her hands on her hips and said, "This family is just TOO busy!"

That got me to stop what I was doing and play with her of course. :-D
0 Replies

ossobuco

Sat 15 May, 2004 07:05 pm
But that is also very funny... in a piquant way.
0 Replies

onyxelle

Sat 15 May, 2004 10:03 pm
5 y.o. Onyxlet lost her first tooth today. it's been shaky for about a month now. She pulled it out this morning.

She has begun to grin incessantly and has wrapped the tooth (no bigger than 2 mm across and 3.5 mm high) dainly in a 2*2in piece of tissue and has placed it square underneath the pillow.

The toothfairy shall replace said tooth w/ $3.00 sometime before she hits the bed.

Photos of Oh Toothless One to follow.

Dos anyone have a first tooth preserved somewhere? How did you do it?
0 Replies

sozobe

Wed 2 Jun, 2004 12:03 pm
I saw the photos, very sweet.

I don't have a tooth preserved anywhere, no. I'd think they're pretty sturdy, though... just get a little ceramic box maybe and keep it there...?

Made a note to myself to write down three things last night -- hope I can decipher the shorthand...

OK, first of all, she has been fascinated with T. Rexes for a while now. (Going to see Sue at the Field Museum next week! She's very excited.) At some point, she started having nightmares about them, though. :-( We've talked about it a lot, and it seems to have helped.

Well, yesterday at the dinner table, she took a whiff of the huge bouquet of peonies (we have a bumper crop this year and I have them all over the house), and she said, "These peonies are so beautiful that they just make me... they make me... <closes eyes, makes the sign for "calm"> and I just know that a Tyrannasaurus Rex would never get me in this beautiful house with the beautiful peonies that my mama picked for me." Then she looked me in the eye and said, "You're such a great mama." I said thanks, though I didn't quite follow the reasoning.

Every once in a while she uses words in a way that is so funny and grown-up, though I'm not sure I'll be able to describe this one. I opened the bathroom door quickly when she was standing right outside, and she jumped and put her hand over her heart. I said, "Sorry, did I scare you?" and she said, "No, no, you just startled me" in this incredibly grown-up way.

On the same use of words topic -- total sponge -- I was folding clothes and she took a bunch of the unfolded clothes and made a pillow to recline upon. I folded all of the other clothes first, but then had to fold those, too, and so started pulling them out from under her. She sat up, looked cross, and said, "You'll be the death of me!" Shocked OK. Laughing (Note, not something I use with her, but I think it was in a book we read recently. Who knows. Quite an absorbant little sponge.)
0 Replies

onyxelle

Wed 2 Jun, 2004 12:18 pm
THAT is hillarious Soz
0 Replies

Eva

Wed 2 Jun, 2004 12:29 pm
Wow, you've created such a beautiful home that it frightens away Tyrannosaurus Rexes. I bet you didn't realize you had such power! I am impressed! Wink
0 Replies

sozobe

Tue 22 Jun, 2004 11:03 pm
Brief one, cleaning up my inbox and found a note about this but never wrote it down:

Sozlet's doing OK with the move, she gets it, she's been sad several times (first time she realized she wouldn't see her best friend anymore; first time she realized she couldn't go to her favorite places whenever she wanted to), but she's doing well. There is actually a long story that's sweet and more emotional but too long for me to write right now (note to myself for later, hospital, forehead).

But this one is just that the other day we were talking about moving, and I asked her if she would miss our house, and she waved her hand dismissively and said, "Nah, we'll have pictures." :-D
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Tue 22 Jun, 2004 11:38 pm
Hey hey, tell my favorite story.

The one about "whack whack whack".

I love that one.
0 Replies

nimh

Wed 23 Jun, 2004 08:31 am
sozobe wrote:
Out of nowhere, the sozlet perkily announced, "Sheep are living lawnmowers!"

<snorts>

Brilliant! And yet so true. Thats gonna be my new sig. <nods>

sozobe wrote:
(Our kitchen overlooks our backyard, we frequently are looking out the window at birds and such when we're not eating.) I said, why yes, that's very true! She asked how they do that, and I explained about grazing. She thought that was interesting. Then she suggested that we get a few sheep to keep in our backyard and mow the lawn when we move to Columbus.

<grins>

See, what I love is like how - judging from your stories - you just totally go with the flow. Hey - why wouldnt the kids world make sense?

I'm getting a little jealous about you people's house though - a backyard fit for sheep, eh? Wowie! <he said perching in his one-room city app ... :wink: )
0 Replies

nimh

Wed 23 Jun, 2004 08:38 am
<only now figures out he's reading month-old stuff - hey, lotsa catching up to do>

sozobe wrote:
I asked the pooper-scooper question; "Buffalo poop a lot. Who would clean it up?" And she said "well we'd just shovel it up like snow and put it in the trashcan." She didn't seem concerned. Then she said, "And if there were dinosaurs who were still alive and who were nice and could talk that would be GREAT!" I said yes, but what does that have to do with buffalo? She said, "Well, the dinosaurs could clean up for us!!"

Delegation, a good skill.

<snorts again>

Lol, lol, lol ... brilliant piece of logic. Cant argue with that!

Re delegating, perhaps cause of the way you're telling the story (and the next one, "This family is just TOO busy!" <grins>), I'm now for some reason picturing this girl to later become some kind of fashion queen - in fashion design that is, designing the most outrageous, creative or fluffy clothes with lots of young folk milling about to turn the flights of fantasy into reality ...
0 Replies