sozobe

Wed 28 Jan, 2004 02:38 pm
Oh really? What for?

I like "Dance Party" OK, it's really old. 1995 or something. TERRIBLE production values. Catchy songs. And Greg was cute. (Not so much anymore.) (Oh god I'm ageist.) (Actually it's more about the smarmy to genuine quotient.) But she got their movie, Magical Adventure or something, and it's SO irritating... Evil or Very Mad
0 Replies

onyxelle

Wed 28 Jan, 2004 03:00 pm
some gal called Ms. Wiggly or something or other, saying they stole her act (she is based here, btw, in the states)
0 Replies

onyxelle

Tue 10 Feb, 2004 12:58 pm
born for the spotlight:

the 5 year old (yesterday was her birthday), was given a solo speaking part (all of 3 lines) as an introduction to an event we're having at my church on the night of the 20th. 1) she doesn't want to practice it unless she can do it on the microphone (karoke machine), and 2) she totally threw me when I figured she was done and going to put the thing away, she smiles brightly and says "Thank you Ladies & Gentlemen"
0 Replies

Piffka

Tue 10 Feb, 2004 08:56 pm
Thank YOU for sharing! These stories are great. Keep 'em coming, please.
0 Replies

sozobe

Wed 25 Feb, 2004 10:35 pm
I keep thinking of things and forgetting to write them...

This morning, out of nowhere, walked up to me and said,

"Mama, remind me."
"Remind you of WHAT, sweetie?"
"You know!!!"
I think hard, hazard a guess. "Does it have to do with Zoboo?" (She's been on a Zoboomafoo kick.)
"YES!!" (Expectant look...)
"Your Zoboo mask?" (We'd made one yesterday.)
"YES!!!" (Hopping up and down.)

Then she ran off, got the mask, planted herself in front of me with a very serious look, and said, "See, I KNEW you would be able to remind me."

She has loved the whole concept of *magic* for a long time, and E.G. and I have been doing (very rudimentary) sleight of hand stuff with her for a while, with a "magic button." (I put it in my "magic pocket -- getting it in the right placement behind my back -- and then I take it out of her ear.) She is dependably thrilled at this "real magic." (Her magic consists of a lot of asking you to look away and then hiding something under a scarf.)

The other day, she said her ear hurt, and I was asking her more questions to try to figure it out. She looked at me straight in the eye and said, "Maybe the magic button got stuck in it" and felt around with her finger. Smile

She also tried to do the trick to me -- took the magic button, put it behind her back, dropped it in a back pocket, and then REALLY rooted around in my ear for it. Ouch.
0 Replies

mac11

Wed 25 Feb, 2004 10:51 pm
Good thing you're telepathic, huh? Very Happy

I was a magic freak when I was about 5 or 6. My absolute favorite xmas gift was a set of magic tricks.
0 Replies

sozobe

Thu 8 Apr, 2004 08:37 pm
Have thought of a zillion things I wanted to get down here, didn't, so just miscellaneous stuff:

- Sozlet woke up way too early this morning, so while she has largely given up naps, she needed one. The only way to get her down for a nap (unless I want her to conk out at the most awkward possible time, which puts off bedtime, and sends everything into chaos for a week or so) is to drive her around. We've had a specific route since she was a baby that always works. Today she was perky and looking around through the very last bit of it, a sloping, curving drive near a park -- if she doesn't fall asleep there, she won't. I was biting my lip and looking in the rearview and thinking "this part ALWAYS got her when she was a baby" when all the sudden, conk. Just OUT.

Was just bittersweet on a few levels -- thinking of her as a baby, and thinking of how much she's grown, and thinking about moving soon and not having all of those little comforts of home, the special nap routes with the special curving drives where the point where she falls asleep can be predicted within 100 yards.

- I was playing with her at her art table when she got E.G.'s attention and said, "Papa, when will Mama's hearing get fixed?" We had a little talk about that, I reminded her of her friend Gianni who is deaf, and has a deaf mama, and a deaf papa, and a deaf aunt, and a deaf grandma, and a whole deaf family...! And they all sign to each other and understand each other just fine. She agreed that was cool. We both agreed that it's sad I can't hear, though.

Most of the time not an issue, now and then it really gets to me.

- Her new phrase is "I just LOVE..." whatever. "Mama, I just LOVE it when you say 'hold your little horses.'" "I just LOVE pizza." Etc.

- She has been afraid of dogs, and has slowly gotten over that fear with our neighbor's dog. She said to me today that she wanted to write him a thank-you card for giving her a kiss. :-)
0 Replies

littlek

Thu 8 Apr, 2004 08:49 pm
heehee! She could get a whole bucket full of doggy kisses from my little bootsie girl.
0 Replies

sozobe

Thu 8 Apr, 2004 08:57 pm
We saw a boxer at the playground the other day and I thought of Bootsie! Those dogs have presence. This one had a muzzle, though... :-? The owner's body language was definitely "don't get too close." So we just admired from afar.
0 Replies

littlek

Thu 8 Apr, 2004 09:00 pm
oooohhh, a boxer gone bad? I get nervous with kids who don't know boxers because boxers get so very INTO their little faces. She's kncoked me on my butt before - I don't want her doing that to random kids. But, generally, I'd guess that most boxers would adore all children once they get to know one child.
0 Replies

sozobe

Thu 8 Apr, 2004 09:01 pm
I dunno, the owner was a little shifty herself. Seemed like the kind of person who would want a protector, you know. Big Mean Dog. And this one looked big and mean (a male, I think.)

It was purty, though.
0 Replies

littlek

Thu 8 Apr, 2004 09:28 pm
a dog is what you breed it to be, largely. Yep, they cure are good looking doggies.
0 Replies

Swimpy

Sat 10 Apr, 2004 09:15 am
I just LOVE Sozlet stories! Please keep them coming.
0 Replies

soserene

Sat 10 Apr, 2004 10:05 am
This is a great thread!!!! I have a few that I'd like to add if I may.. this first one being a little Off color.
I have a 5 year old, Montana and an 8 year old, Morgan. And the dialogue goes:

(Montana climbs onto Mommy's lap)
Tana: Mommy, what do you want to be when you grow up?
Mommy: (laughing) Well, when I grow up, honey, it doesn't matter, as long as I'm your Mommy.
Tana: Morgan what do you want to be when you grow up?
Morgan: I'm going to be a cheerleader for the Pittsburgh Steelers.
Mommy: Tana, what do you want to be when you grow up?
Tana: I'm going to be an ice cream girl and drive that truck and honk that funny horn and eat ice cream. I'm going to be so rich and have the most beautifullest house and lots of cars. Then sometimes, at night if I'm not too tired, I'm going to be a doctor, but only until I save enough money to buy a cat. Smile

The next day.....
(After walking in on them watching the discovery channel and seeing a woman give birth.)

Morgan: Mom, if you have a baby, does the doctor have to see your (hesitates) tutu?
Mommy: (stuttering) Well.. uh.. I.. uh.. well, yeah.. they do.
Morgan: (eyes bulging) I'm NEVER having babies.
Tana: (eyes bulging even bigger) I'm NEVER going to be a doctor.
0 Replies

sozobe

Tue 4 May, 2004 08:04 pm
Soserene, too cute! :-D

Just about every day I think, "Oh, I should write that down!" and then I don't.

So, this is not much of anything, but just trying to get in the habit of writing things down again...

We had hummus, yogurt/chive middle eastern dip stuff, pita bread and salad for dinner. The sozlet actually likes weird food, loved hummus last time we had it. But this time she wanted the yogurt dip, and just the yogurt dip. I said, "Just try the hummus, you'll like it." She then went into full drama queen mode... deep sigh, pained expression, mouth barely open with an incipent moue of distaste. She barely touched it with her tongue, then slumped and held her forehead in high tragedic style. "Blech!!!!!!!"

OK, OK, fine, so don't have any. Geesh.

So I ate mine, she ate her pita bread with yogurt. Then she watched me eat the hummus. Then she wanted some.

I Rolling Eyes ed at her. She giggled. I said FINE! I gave her some. She said, "MMmmmm, delicious!!" So I glopped a big spoonfull on her plate.

Then she started, instead of using the pita bread, using her spoon to put the hummus right in her mouth. For some reason this was incredibly funny -- hard to describe why -- and I started laughing, which made her laugh, and then we both descended into a total giggle fit.

Then I said, "You're too silly for words!"

She came back with, "You're too silly for birds!"

Me: "You're too silly for cats!"

Her: "You're too silly for bats!"

Etc., etc. (She loooooves to rhyme.) Silly, silly girl.
0 Replies

mac11

Tue 4 May, 2004 09:12 pm
Very Happy Keep 'em coming! I love this thread. Very Happy
0 Replies

ossobuco

Tue 4 May, 2004 11:05 pm
Me too. Me too.

Makes me think of Tenneh, my niece. Who(m) I taught to help me roll out pizza dough at two. That child would eat anything with us, and we went to Vietnamese, Chinese, Oaxacan, Cubano, california foodie, italian, french, mexicano, salvadoran, peruvian, brazilian, and plain old mid american restaurants, with her.

As a teen she eschews hot food, or any fat at all, mushrooms, and a bunch of other stuff.

At eleven, she wanted to be a chef.

What happened? High school happened...

Well, really what happened is that neither of the divorced parents let her cook, nor did her uncle's new wife (he, my ex, who also helped teach her to cook) so that as a teen she has been sans kitchen, til she visits me. In the beginning, when she visited me, she'd roast me a chicken, and so on. Lately, she is the queen to be served, being years away from cooking.
Damn.

But... this'll pass.
0 Replies

sozobe

Wed 5 May, 2004 10:11 am
I'm plenty nervous about teenagerhood. Will cross that bridge when we come to it and all, but...

(One of) the sozlet's current bad influence(s) is her friend Jack, who will only eat orange foods. Except for oranges. Orange juice is OK. But orange goldfish crackers are more his kind of thing. He says "Blech!" a lot, though he very politely says "No thank you" more often. (I think he's branched out a bit recently, he's awfully healthy for an all-orange diet.)

Another random story from last night: Out of nowhere, the sozlet perkily announced, "Sheep are living lawnmowers!" (Our kitchen overlooks our backyard, we frequently are looking out the window at birds and such when we're not eating.) I said, why yes, that's very true! She asked how they do that, and I explained about grazing. She thought that was interesting. Then she suggested that we get a few sheep to keep in our backyard and mow the lawn when we move to Columbus.

I said hmmm, interesting idea. Where would we get the sheep, though? She thought about that one for a long time, then came up with the answer -- the petting zoo! I said, but what if the petting zoo wants to keep their sheep? She pondered that one longer (she usually signs "I'm thinking" for these long ponders) and finally said "I know! We'll take the sheep from the petting zoo, and then go to the pigpen, and get some other sheep, and give the other sheep to the petting zoo, and then the petting zoo will have sheep to keep!!" <nodding in a "can you dig it?" sort of way>

(I think by "pigpen" she meant a farm.)
jespah

Wed 5 May, 2004 10:16 am
So, your daughter is making plans to barter a buncha livestock? LOL
0 Replies

sozobe

Wed 5 May, 2004 10:20 am
Eyep. Well, steal and barter (no mention of the pigpen getting anything in return.)
0 Replies