Dennis Miller's New Show Debuts January 29th!

Scrat

Reply Thu 15 Jan, 2004 08:59 am
I loved him when he was a self-proclaimed liberal, and I love him still.
Quote:
January 15, 2004

The Joke Is on Liberals, Says Dennis Miller, Host of His Own Show AgainLink > NY Times
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 2,351 • Replies: 40
No top replies

yeahman

Reply Thu 15 Jan, 2004 09:06 am
We gotta get Al Franken his own show.
0 Replies

Scrat

Reply Thu 15 Jan, 2004 09:07 am
ye110man wrote:
We gotta get Al Franken his own show.

Sure! All you have to do is find a Network that believes his show would make money, and you're home free!
0 Replies

Fedral

Reply Thu 15 Jan, 2004 09:13 am
Re: Dennis Miller's New Show Debuts January 29th!
Quote:
January 15, 2004

The Joke Is on Liberals, Says Dennis Miller, Host of His Own Show Again
By BERNARD WEINRAUB

Mr. Miller is also not a traditional conservative. "I've always been a pragmatist," he said. "If two gay guys want to get married, it's none of my business. I could care less. More power to them. I'm happy when people fall in love. But if some idiot foreign terrorist wants to blow up their wedding to make a political statement, I would rather kill him before he can do it, or have my country kill him before he can do it, instead of having him do it and punishing him after the fact. If that makes me a right-wing fanatic, I will bask in that assignation."

Mr. Miller said he remained socially liberal. "I think abortion's wrong, but it's none of my business to tell somebody what's wrong," he said. "So I'm pro-choice. I want to keep my nose out of other people's personal business. I guess I fall into conservative when it comes to protecting the United States in a world where a lot of people hate the United States."

The Sept. 11 attacks, Mr. Miller said, changed him. "Everybody should be in the protection business now," he said. "I can't imagine anybody not saying that. Well, I guess on the farthest end of the left they'd say, `That's our fault.' And on the middle end they'd say, `Well, there's another way to deal with it other than flat-out protecting ourselves.' I just don't believe that. People say we're the ones who make them hate us because of what we do. That's garbage to me. I think they're nuts. And you've got to protect yourself from nuts."

This is the attitude of many of the Neo-Publicans like myself and the part of our party that the Left most fears. (We have been called the South Park Republicans) The traditional Republican Party members don't quite know what to do with us (but they are glad to see us voting Republican) and the democrats are terrified that we are going to steal some of their more moderate members with this type of attitude and leave them with nothing but the Extreme Leftists.

I am so glad that Miller has joined the Common Sense Brigade of the Republican Party and I will be watching every episode to see whats he has to say (I liked him a lot too even when he was a screaming liberal Very Happy )
0 Replies

Scrat

Reply Thu 15 Jan, 2004 09:14 am
Fedral - I like that "Common Sense Brigade". I may have to have a t-shirt made!
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Thu 15 Jan, 2004 09:30 am
The last time anybody made a list of the top hundred character attributes of republicans common sense snuck in at number 79. It was an accident.
0 Replies

Fedral

Reply Thu 15 Jan, 2004 09:31 am
dyslexia wrote:
The last time anybody made a list of the top hundred character attributes of republicans common sense snuck in at number 79. It was an accident.

At least it MADE the Republican's list.
Democrats would like to see the word removed from use altogether
0 Replies

Brand X

Reply Thu 15 Jan, 2004 09:35 am
Franken is getting a radio show, on one station. Don't know where.
0 Replies

yeahman

Reply Thu 15 Jan, 2004 10:07 am
What irks me more than Dennis Miller having his own right-wing show is that it's on CNBC. I used to like CNBC. I hate the increasing stigma that Democrats are anti-capitalism. Now CNBC is going to further that, perhaps justified, claim.
0 Replies

Scrat

Reply Thu 15 Jan, 2004 10:29 am
ye110man wrote:
What irks me more than Dennis Miller having his own right-wing show is that it's on CNBC. I used to like CNBC. I hate the increasing stigma that Democrats are anti-capitalism. Now CNBC is going to further that, perhaps justified, claim.

Translation: "Maybe it's justified, but I hate that CNBC might make more people aware of it." :wink:
0 Replies

Dartagnan

Reply Thu 15 Jan, 2004 10:33 am
Dennis Miller is following his success on Monday Night Football with this new show. I wonder why the networks think that glib righties make for entertaining football commentators? Take Rush Limbaugh, please...
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Thu 15 Jan, 2004 11:59 am
At least Miller may be sparing us the pain of trying to find something funny about his jokes. Personally I am glad he's not a Democrat. I never liked him when he was - if he ever was.
0 Replies

Scrat

Reply Thu 15 Jan, 2004 03:50 pm
edgarblythe wrote:
At least Miller may be sparing us the pain of trying to find something funny about his jokes. Personally I am glad he's not a Democrat. I never liked him when he was - if he ever was.

Whine... whine... whine...
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Thu 15 Jan, 2004 03:56 pm
Dennis Miller joins Ted Nugent..middle aged men trying to bolster their sagging careers by becoming radical "patriots"....now that they're conveniently too old to serve......pussies is another word for 'em....
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Thu 15 Jan, 2004 04:13 pm
speaking of humour and/or cat scratch fever--Motor City Madman Ted Nugent has managed to escape losing a limb after a chainsaw tore through his leg leaving him with a wound requiring 40 stitches.

According to the Associated Press, the mishap occurred during the taping of the Nuge's VH1 reality series, Surviving Nugent: The Ted Commandments, at his multi-acre compound located outside of Waco, Texas. True to his tough outdoorsman persona, Nugent didn't let the incident keep him from completing the series, which is scheduled to air in April. Instead of calling it quits, Nugent sported a leg brace during the remainder of the show's taping.
0 Replies

Dartagnan

Reply Thu 15 Jan, 2004 04:58 pm
BPB--I agree re Miller as a nouveau rightie (now that it's "cool" to be one), but Nugent, hmmm...Haven't his politics been to the right of Attila for a long time?
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Thu 15 Jan, 2004 05:49 pm
You know, Bob Hope never served in the military either. He was draftable during WW1.

The Nuge's politics have been consistent for some time.
0 Replies

quinn1

Reply Thu 15 Jan, 2004 05:52 pm
I signed up for HBO to be able to see Miller...being a big fan of him on SNL...reading the article though..I think Ill have to watch and then give my opinion....Im not a big football fan, so Ive missed that.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Thu 15 Jan, 2004 05:55 pm
I don't agree with his politics but don't mind the guy. I liked him on SNL more than on anything else though.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Thu 15 Jan, 2004 05:56 pm
Scrat wrote of edgarblythe: "Whine whine whine."
Is that all you got, boy?
0 Replies