New York Bids For 2012 Olympics!

Reply Thu 15 Jan, 2004 01:58 am
Not easy to have much confidence in the success of the bid. After all, who will want to visit a police state, apart from policemen and those who enjoy seeing storm troopers in jackboots, steel helmets and Swastikas? Rolling Eyes
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 741 • Replies: 10
No top replies

Smiley

Reply Thu 15 Jan, 2004 02:10 am
Sounds jingoistic, superficial, extreme and controversial.

Wouldn't that make it perfect for newspaper and TV coverage?

The more of a farce it is, the more I'm likely to watch it, and that's what makes America great.
0 Replies

Wilso

Reply Thu 15 Jan, 2004 03:31 am
Unfortunately, I think Beijingg (sp?) has got a good chance of killing the Olympics off. I'm predicting a Chinese gold medal haul of the likes no-one has ever seen, due to drugged up athletes setting records that will never be able to be broken drug free.
0 Replies

John Webb

Reply Thu 15 Jan, 2004 10:53 am
According to today's New York Times, Broadway is already suffering a major fall in revenue, following the President's anti-tourist policies. Presumably, the same can be expected amongst retailers in New York and Florida, quite apart from the hotel industry?

Not likely to increase brother Jeb's popularity. Very Happy
0 Replies

Dartagnan

Reply Thu 15 Jan, 2004 10:58 am
There was an attempt to bid for the Olympics to be held in Seattle not so long ago, and the public was so against the idea that the bid never got off the ground. New Yorkers, I suspect, aren't so enlightened in this regard.

Can you imagine the state of martial law that would exist in NY in 2012 if present trends continue? It would be Jeb Bush's second term...
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Thu 15 Jan, 2004 12:55 pm
John Webb the one trick pony... Rolling Eyes

Edit: Embarrassed I apologize to pistoff...I meant to refer to John Webb's constant comparison's of Bush to Hitler.
0 Replies

Wilso

Reply Thu 15 Jan, 2004 11:09 pm
McGentrix wrote:
Pistoff the one trick pony... Rolling Eyes

Look who's talking! Rolling Eyes

A person with about as much depth as his animated avatar.
0 Replies

Dartagnan

Reply Fri 16 Jan, 2004 12:45 pm
Oddly enough, pistoff isn't even in this thread...
0 Replies

John Webb

Reply Fri 16 Jan, 2004 01:08 pm
McGentrix said "Edit: I apologize to pistoff...I meant to refer to John Webb's constant comparison's of Bush to Hitler."

I certainly had no intention of causing offence to the Third Reich ...... and should Adolph Hitler feel sufficiently insulted to write to me, I will certainly consider an alternative. Laughing
0 Replies

Wilso

Reply Sat 17 Jan, 2004 04:29 am
Apparently London and another city (can't remember which) are the favourites for 2012.
0 Replies

yeahman

Reply Sat 17 Jan, 2004 07:31 am
I'm crossing my fingers.
This may force NYC to build a stadium in Manhattan that can be used later for the Jets and Giants.
I can't even fathom the traffic it would create though. The MTA would have to add new subway lines to accomodate.
0 Replies