The disgrace of political campaign fundraiser dinners

Sturgis

Reply Fri 12 Aug, 2011 09:05 am
As President Obama attended yet another of those lavish campaign fundraiser dinners that he's so fond of, I found myself nauseated. I couldn't even handle eating chocolate pudding I was so revolted by his actions.

In these times, with the economy hurting, with people hurting, considering the events of recent weeks, is it really proper to be jetting about, riding in limos and having people shell out insane amounts of money for burnt food when the average Joe and Jane can in many cases not even afford a bent can of beans in the discount bin at the market? As food pantries and soup kitchens struggle to keep afloat, are these "give me money and I'll promise you the world and do nothing at all except line my pockets" dinners really proper?

It's not just the President it's all these damned politicians. Their complete lack of connection with the people they allege to represent is disgusting.

I despise them all.

Political fundraising is one thing, send out letters, make calls, stand on a street corner or at a transit hub, but, please stop these g.d. dinner. They have got to stop.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 978 • Replies: 3
No top replies

Questioner

Reply Fri 12 Aug, 2011 09:19 am
@Sturgis,
They are simply expedient. The thing that I struggle with more than even the extravagance that you've already thrust your ire upon is the fact that the elected people that are supposed to represent me make more money in a year of making empty promises and taking long vacations than I will earn in 20+ of utter toil.

The fact that most of the people in office could throw one of those dinners on their own dime without batting an eye. Meanwhile I'm saving up for a grill so I can have a few people over for hot dogs and hamburgers.

It's all sickening.
Sturgis

Reply Fri 12 Aug, 2011 09:36 am
@Questioner,
Sickening would actually be an improvement over what we are currently seeing, and as I said, it's from both sides of the aisle.

I find myself with shirts which can only be worn under a sweater or sweatshirt, watering down juice, saving the insoles from old shoes and doing other things as well. I just wish one of them would get it for even a minute instead of looking only to see what they can get for it even if it hurts the people they supposedly represent. Do they even remember us except when trying to get our money and our vote?
RABEL222

Reply Fri 12 Aug, 2011 10:57 pm
@Sturgis,
The only way anything will change in Washington would be if the people of the nation passed a constitutional admendment changing the way we finance elections. Which is to say when hell freezes over.
0 Replies