Is wisdom better than beauty? How?

Fil Albuquerque

Reply Sat 6 Aug, 2011 03:04 pm
@JLNobody,
...yes, Beethoven is sublime !
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Sat 6 Aug, 2011 04:50 pm
Wisdom is better thab beauty so far as attainment goes because wisdom requires effort and living but beauty is a gift that has reguired no effort. However when it comes to women I value beauty above wisdom....ideally the woman has both but beauty is required.
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Sat 6 Aug, 2011 06:12 pm
@HolySin,
HS, I think you put too much emphasis on the discovery value of logic. Logic helps us to infer entailments from what we intuitively or culturally presuppose to be true or have discovered by empirical means. Try not to sound like Mr. Spock.
Fil Albuquerque

Reply Sat 6 Aug, 2011 10:37 pm
@JLNobody,
Spock caused a huge impression on me when I was only 6 years old...I still like him today...
I supose you are more the Kirk type...
0 Replies

vikorr

Reply Sun 7 Aug, 2011 01:45 am
@HolySin,
Quote:
Guys my idea here is not to decide upon an ranking but rather to understand whether there can be a logical basis for such a ranking. Can there be a logical sound premise for making a statement like "wisdom is superior to beauty" or vice versa.
Of course there is a logical basis for saying 'wisdom is greater than beauty' - considering we males are genetically programmed to be attracted to beauty (but not wisdom), it stands to reason that women who don't consider themselves beautiful would want us to believe that wisdom is greater than beauty. Chauvanistic viewpoint, but the only 'logical' one I could come up with (Personally I don't think there's any point in worrying about such).
Fil Albuquerque

Reply Sun 7 Aug, 2011 07:41 am
@vikorr,
The ignorance in those words...
Did you know that beauty is not even a subjective classification any more ?
Recent study s upon what it means revealed the importance on geometrical elegant mathematical proportions and symmetry's that must be present for something to be beautiful...after all wisdom is very much about being able to recognizing it, not just in people but in everything...even in the construction of an idea...now why would we be debating being vs seeing ?
the order is obvious...
wayne

Reply Sun 7 Aug, 2011 07:59 am
@Fil Albuquerque,
There is beauty in everything, it just remains to be seen.
Fil Albuquerque

Reply Sun 7 Aug, 2011 08:07 am
@wayne,
...yes, the order of chaos, but that´s an entirely different matter, very much depending upon the function of the entire string segment/system...let me just clarify one of my close to mystical statements upon the subject, given recent posts I am almost sure most around did n´t quite get it...the beauty of beauty refers to the needed mental simulation that wisdom requires when we integrate some knowledge upon the nature (aesthetics/form/elegance) of something...recognizing beauty requires and reproduces beauty !
wayne

Reply Sun 7 Aug, 2011 08:18 am
@Fil Albuquerque,
Yes, I'm not religious but when I hear the term "gods grace" that's what I think of; Beauty and smoothness of movement and form.
0 Replies

Fil Albuquerque

Reply Sun 7 Aug, 2011 08:22 am
@Fil Albuquerque,
...a beautiful thing necessarily is demonstrated with a beautiful algorithm...
(the key and the lock)
Wisdom/Seeing is the key for Being...Being requires recognition...
wayne

Reply Sun 7 Aug, 2011 08:35 am
@Fil Albuquerque,
and that, my friend, is exactly where the question of purpose arises.
0 Replies

Fil Albuquerque

Reply Sun 7 Aug, 2011 08:45 am
@Fil Albuquerque,
Closure...the purpose of the key is the lock...the purpose of the lock is to be found by the key... Wink
...see why algorithms are beautiful?
They bring meaning to forms...in fact forms.come out of their necessary beauty...
Fil Albuquerque

Reply Sun 7 Aug, 2011 08:50 am
@Fil Albuquerque,
Religious people will hate it but I say it anyway...
"God" and Man both depend on an algorithm...Science is about that... Cool ("God" without Man is dead...)
0 Replies

wayne

Reply Sun 7 Aug, 2011 08:53 am
@Fil Albuquerque,
Neat package, if we don't start on the tree fell in the forest nightmare Wink
Fil Albuquerque

Reply Sun 7 Aug, 2011 08:55 am
@wayne,
Nightmares make dreaming worth looking for...(yet another algorithm)
wayne

Reply Sun 7 Aug, 2011 09:08 am
@Fil Albuquerque,
I once found a wooden fish, that grew in a walnut tree, it took awhile to get it out of there.
Fil Albuquerque

Reply Sun 7 Aug, 2011 09:23 am
@wayne,
...did you cut the tree or did you shrink the fish ?
wayne

Reply Sun 7 Aug, 2011 10:07 am
@Fil Albuquerque,
LOL, it was easier to remove the tree from the fish, than the fish from the tree, kinda hard on the tree though.
0 Replies

vikorr

Reply Sun 7 Aug, 2011 04:54 pm
@Fil Albuquerque,
Quote:
The ignorance in those words...
Fil - those words were an exercise in 'real world' 'logic', not in belief - hence the qualifications (did you not read them?). Of course, I could also poke a hell of a lot of holes in it.

That said - I don't think your follow up worked...

Quote:
Recent study s upon what it means revealed the importance on geometrical elegant mathematical proportions and symmetry's that must be present for something to be beautiful
Much beauty does have symetry and geometry, but not all beauty...the feel of sand in your hand, waves upon a shore (the sight and the sound), clouds in the sky, falling stars, the aurora borealis, the aroma of a beautiful wine or a perfume - none of these require symetry, and geometry is limited or non-existant.

Quote:
...after all wisdom is very much about being able to recognizing it, not just in people but in everything...even in the construction of an idea...now why would we be debating being vs seeing ?
'Intelligence' functions on many levels. If you started telling someone without a foundation in philosphy about the higher levels of philosophy - what is the % likelihood that they'd understand and/or be interested? Being is more about where people are, than where they could go. Seeing is part of being, and yet being (in the sense you appear to use it) is not all there is. Wisdom is separate from seeing.
Fil Albuquerque

Reply Sun 7 Aug, 2011 05:20 pm
@vikorr,
0 Replies