cleaning fuel tank and lines

nixbone

Reply Sat 6 Aug, 2011 07:18 am
I am geting ready to put rebuilt carb on 1984 s15 v6 2. 8 and i hve pulled tank to clean and inspct / my question is how best to clean feul lines and mostly how to and what to use on fuel tqank it is drained and lookks like there is alitle rusty haze but not terribly dirty what are my best options and procedures and hints on what to use any help apriciated thanks terry ps of course im broke and need to put back together with what i have
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 1,521 • Replies: 10
No top replies

roger

Reply Sat 6 Aug, 2011 02:39 pm
@nixbone,
There was a time I would have just recommended a commercial fuel system cleaning additive to the tank. The stuff was mostly alcohol, and it did a good job of removing water and varnish. Now, it's almost impossible to find gas without alcohol, so that would just be a waste of money.

Personally, I wouldn't worry much about it. If the fuel is discolored, whatever it is should be caught by the filter, and I assume you have an inline fuel filter. Not sure if that was standard in 1984 or not, but if you don't have one, you should investigate the possibility of adding one.
Rockhead

Reply Sat 6 Aug, 2011 03:14 pm
@nixbone,
blow the lines out with compressed air. (they won't rust)

if there is not sediment or flakes of rust in the tank, blow it out, and march on.

otherwise find a local business that cleans them. here it costs about $65.

if you don't clean the tank, change your fuel filter in about 200 miles.

nixbone

Reply Sat 6 Aug, 2011 06:10 pm
@roger,
thanks for the input. the fuel that came out was discolored to me but i assume it is the bio or additives as you say the filter is a smaall lawn mower looking thing right were the fuel line connects to the carb . iwas thinking if it would work to just add a inline while i have all takendown and make it easier to access in future.
0 Replies

nixbone

Reply Sat 6 Aug, 2011 06:15 pm
@Rockhead,
thanks for your input i think i have tank asclean as possible i will blow out the lines and maybe run some berrymans through them a see what happens . another question i have is when i go to mount carb and fire everything up. i read that i should prime the float or something to keep from backfire or somthing what do you think? thanks again terry
Rockhead

Reply Sat 6 Aug, 2011 06:21 pm
@nixbone,
there is a tube sticking up from center of the carb.

you can pre-fill the float bowl with it.

not absolutely necessary, but a time saver...
roger

Reply Sat 6 Aug, 2011 08:23 pm
@Rockhead,
Good idea. I would do it only because I don't like hearing the starter grind while the pump is filling the bowl. I never heard of it causing backfires, but that doesn't mean a thing.

Good idea on the inline filter, terry. I don't even like lifting the hood, but it can save you a lot of grief. While you're at it, of course change the dinky little filter at the carburator.
Rockhead

Reply Sat 6 Aug, 2011 08:29 pm
@roger,
it's not an issue much any more.

turn the key and let the electric pump prime the system...

carburetion is almost a relic nowadays.

(my system doesn't even recognize it as a word)
roger

Reply Sat 6 Aug, 2011 08:49 pm
@Rockhead,
Yeah, but his is a 1984 something or other. Which to say is only about ten years later that when I knew something about what went on under the hood. You know, back when the PCV valve was a controversial innovation.
0 Replies

nixbone

Reply Sun 7 Aug, 2011 02:52 am
@roger,
should i run it in addition to or instead of factory filter thanks again terryu
roger

Reply Sun 7 Aug, 2011 03:13 am
@nixbone,
In addition to. If every thing goes right, the little factory thing should never see dirty fuel, but once you replace it this time, you should never have to see it again.
0 Replies