Fox News - not at all racist....

Reply Fri 5 Aug, 2011 11:17 am
Quote:
Fox just can’t help itself
Steve Benen, Political Animal

August 05, 2011 12:55 PM

There was a private White House party last night in honor of President Obama’s 50th birthday. Here’s how Politico described the event.

Quote:
[Shortly after 5 p.m.], the party started with dinner in the Rose Garden, accompanied by “The President’s Own” United States Marine Band. Then the First Lady and his daughters presented POTUS with a cake, and everyone moved into the East Room for performances that included R&B singer Ledisi, and Herbie Hancock. Stevie Wonder came up at the end and sang a medley ending in “Signed, Sealed, Delivered I’m Yours.” DJ Cassidy played Motown, hip hop, and ’70s and ’80s R&B.

Folks from the cabinet were there (Hillary Clinton, Eric Holder, Tim Geithner), as were members of Congress (Nancy Pelosi, Debbie Wasserman Schultz), Obama’s team (Robert Gibbs, David Axelrod, David Plouffe, Valerie Jarrett), the private sector (UBS Investment Bank President Robert Wolf), and the entertainment industry (Jay-Z, Chris Rock, Charles Barkley, Tom Hanks). That’s by no means a comprehensive list, but these are some of the notable names in attendance.

And here’s how Fox Nation told its audience about the event:

http://wamo.info/pa/110805_bbq.jpg

No, this isn’t a parody. It’s actually what Fox said: “Obama’s Hip-Hop BBQ Didn’t Create Jobs.”

The racial politics with something like this is hard to miss. As ThinkProgress joked, “Of course, nothing says hip hop like Tom Hanks and Rita Wilson.”

Also, I’m fascinated by the claim that a birthday party “didn’t create jobs.” Maybe I should have run a post this morning that said, “John Boehner had breakfast this morning, didn’t create jobs.” Or maybe, “Eric Cantor watched some TV, didn’t create jobs.”

Would Fox prefer that the president cancel his birthday, put pen to paper, and write a stimulus bill Fox’s congressional allies can kill?

Even for the Republican news outlet, this is just farcical.

http://www.washingtonmonthly.com/political-animal/2011_08/fox_just_cant_help_itself031342.php

Anyone who pretends that the modern Republican party, and their media outlets, are not fueled in large part by racism and xenophobia are deluding themselves.

Cycloptichorn
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 15 • Views: 5,066 • Replies: 28

Questioner

Reply Fri 5 Aug, 2011 11:21 am
@Cycloptichorn,
The fact that so many people trust Fox 'News' for their daily information is why things like the Tea Party and George Bush don't surprise me.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Fri 5 Aug, 2011 11:30 am
@Cycloptichorn,
I don't think you're being entirely fair, there's a lot of Uncle Toms wouldn't have a job if it wasn't for Fox News.
tsarstepan

Reply Fri 5 Aug, 2011 11:35 am
@izzythepush,
It's painful because it's true Izzytp. Confused
joefromchicago

Reply Fri 5 Aug, 2011 11:45 am
@Cycloptichorn,
I am disappointed that Obama's Hip Hop BBQ didn't create any jobs. You'd think with all that hippin' and hoppin' going on that some jobs would be created, if only by accident. Things used to be different. It used to be that an administration could hold an informal event and still create jobs at the same time. I'm thinking specifically of all the medical jobs created by Dick Cheney's quail hunts.
izzythepush

Reply Fri 5 Aug, 2011 11:49 am
@tsarstepan,
Thank you. I thought I'd get that in first, before some of the more rabid posters started naming them.
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Fri 5 Aug, 2011 11:49 am
@joefromchicago,
I agree - it was rather lackadaisical and inconsiderate on Obama's part to just concentrate on his b'day and his guests. He should be working 24/7 on job creation and not having any fun at all. He's definitely falling down on the job.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Fri 5 Aug, 2011 11:52 am
@joefromchicago,
Agreed.

Parties don't throw themselves. Singers don't perform without having equipment set up first. Someone had to transport that equipment. Someone had to design the menu, cook the food, serve the food. Janitors had to clean up afterward. I'd wager that there was a coat-check guy or two.

Why is it that we are expected to believe that giving tax cuts to the wealthy, who then spend their money on frivolous and useless bullshit, creates jobs; but this sort of event does not?

Oh, because it was a bunch of black folks involved. Got it.

Cycloptichorn
aidan

Reply Fri 5 Aug, 2011 12:06 pm
I wish I could have been at the hip-hop barbecue - that sounds like the best fiftieth birthday party EVER!
I'd have given anything to have been invited to eat barbecue and listen to Stevie Wonder do 'Signed, Sealed, Delivered'.....that's my favorite song by him.

Those folks are just jealous they didn't get invited or that their wives didn't cook up such a fun hip-hoppin' party for their white asses.
0 Replies

chai2

Reply Fri 5 Aug, 2011 12:19 pm
What exactly was the date of this party?

Oh, Thursday night, as in, last night.

What is the timeline for the creation of jobs?

btw, Tom Hanks is so down.

0 Replies

mysteryman

Reply Fri 5 Aug, 2011 04:25 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
Kind of like the jobs created by the people that own private jets, but Obama has targeted them also.
Cycloptichorn

Reply Fri 5 Aug, 2011 04:56 pm
@mysteryman,
mysteryman wrote:

Kind of like the jobs created by the people that own private jets, but Obama has targeted them also.

There's no evidence that raising their taxes hurts their ability to create those jobs, and there never has been. Tremendous - truly tremendous - numbers of jobs were created under conditions where the top marginal rate was double or more what it is today. Obama is talking about taxing them a few percentage points higher. Big whoop.

Cycloptichron
0 Replies

revelette

Reply Sat 6 Aug, 2011 07:31 am
@mysteryman,
Right now, corporations pay less money in taxes through tax loopholes and tax havens than most middle class Americans. Obama was talking about removing the loopholes and tax havens and I think according to the polls, most Americans agreed with that notion.

Another Poll Shows Support for Tax Hikes on the Wealthy and Closing Loopholes

On the jobs report for July, not as bad as expected though only a tiny bit it is still better than getting worse.

July jobs report: Hiring picks up

Quote:
The job market strengthened in July, a welcome piece of good news that sharply contrasted other recent data pointing toward an economic slowdown.

Employers added 117,000 jobs last month, easily topping the 75,000 gain economists surveyed by CNNMoney had predicted. And the unemployment rate improved slightly to 9.1%.

We have been under the Bush tax cuts for a decade and corporations have been making profits but they are not hiring. So I am not sure taxes have anything to do with job growth.

0 Replies

snood

Reply Sat 6 Aug, 2011 09:27 am
Sometimes I meet people, start to get to know them, have a favorable overall impression - then find out that they only get their news from Fox, and are big fans of the likes of Hannity and O'Reilly. I can't help but to be dubious of them after that. How can anyone look objectively at stuff like the story Cyclops shares here and not be sickened by the racist twistedness of it? Anyone who can is sorely lacking in some very basic fairness and decency in my opinion.
izzythepush

Reply Sat 6 Aug, 2011 10:12 am
@snood,
I'm just so pleased that all this phone hacking stuff erupted before Murdoch could buy Sky. Don't get me wrong, Sky News is crap, like the BBC for people who are thick as ****, but it's not some far right propaganda machine like Fox.
0 Replies

Below viewing threshold (view)
jcboy

Reply Sat 6 Aug, 2011 01:04 pm
@H2O MAN,
HAHA what the heck does that mean? you are such a tard! Smile
tsarstepan

Reply Sat 6 Aug, 2011 01:15 pm
@jcboy,
jcboy wrote:

HAHA what the heck does that mean? you are such a tard! Smile

It's funny because it's true! Laughing
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Sat 6 Aug, 2011 01:16 pm
@jcboy,
He really is, isn't he. Combine that with his arrogance regarding all the moronic **** that spills out of his empty head, and you get one of the most ridicule-worthy assholes on the internet.
0 Replies

Below viewing threshold (view)