Don't you hate it when...

vernon607

Reply Thu 25 Aug, 2011 09:39 am
Don't you hate it when.....
Because of zoning and other laws, have to build what I call this really enormous house when you don't have a lot of money and on top of that you have to have all these fancy I would call them "features" in the house such as marble bathrooms, granite countertops, and the like. this is the case when all you really need is a small cabin or cottage. On top of this, the house would have all kinds of maintenance headaches whereas the place you really want is very simple to upkeep.
Related..... When you don't have the freedom to build what you want, especially when you are very tight on money. To me, freedom to building what you want means if you just bought a new piece of land and you wanted to live in a garden shed for a while while you are building a better place, you can. If you wanted to live in a greenhouse, you can. Even a small industrial type metal building if you wanted a lot of space as opposed to one of these spacious very expensive fancy houses.
You have to wear this or wear that if you want to do this or do that, i.e. seat belts, lifejackets, bicycle helmets, fancy football gear if you are playing football, bathings suits, appropriate clothing for the occasion, and the granddaddy of them all-these white tyvek suits, especially in very hot weather and under the most mundane situation such as in a flooded area.
When you are, say at a state, county, or municipal park, they won't let you swim or wade in the water. They want you to get wet only at one of their public pools or designated areas which are open only during certain seasons, full of people when you are not comfortable being around a lot of people, and other things. A general rule is, if it is what you would consider a very good place to swim, one of these "good areas" like quarries, nice swimming holes, small rock islands in the middle of a lake, etc., they don't want you to or don't like you to swim there.
When if you want to go swimming someplace and it is winter, if you tried going swimming there, people would (I use the term "get excited") and call the police or fire department and the rescue squads would come running after you and it is very embarrassing. It is something I absolutely hate as I can speak from experience. This can also apply to some of even these "good areas" I am talking about, even in the summer. They think the place is too dangerous. These people who are so quick to call the police or fire department would not like it if something like that were done to them. I remember once my brother got flaming mad when he and his wife were cooking a steak at my parents house and the security system alarm was tripped by smoke coming from the oven and the fire trucks came.
When you are in a poverty type situation or you are homeless
When if you wanted to do something to your property such as an addition to the house, build a pond, put in a pool, put in a fence, etc., you have to go to a hearing or a bunch of hearings and before a bunch of committees or commissions and fill out all kinds of paperwork.
I heard a story that does not say a good thing about Western Samoa but it can happen just about anywhere. It had something to do with U.S. Military Servicemen who lived in American Samoa returning back to homes for leave from their military bases. They had to take a long way home because the Samoan immigration authorities would not allow them to make a stopover in Apia even if they had never gotten off the plane.
At a state or local park, there is a nice island out in the lake not that far from shore, let's say no more than 300 feet from shore, they will not let you swim out there. A lot of times in "You hate it when...." type situations, if there was a very good reason, that would make sense but when the reasons they give don't make sense, that is a horse of a different color. A lot of times, there are rules and they are there because when you investigate the reason, you find it makes a lot of sense. But lately there have been a lot of laws and rules that one can't pinpoint a very good reason behind it. People in charge like to have a lot of power as one person told me. The arguments behind them are very slippery but when you take a moment, you do see they don't hold water. They are fast talkers and like to push something past you.
I've encountered some places where you can go inner tubing down a river or float down a stream but they have rules like now swimming and you have to wear a lifejacket and maybe some places, have a buddy. The stuff about there not being a very good reason often hold here to. If there was a very good reason for one of these rules, that would be one thing. When it is their turn for some of these authorities to live under their own rules, when it comes back on them, say in a nursing home, they are really going to hate it.
When you are riding a bicycle on a road and a car goes by and does "cheers, jeers" as it passes by or even might throw a stone at you or do something like that. You hate it when you can't walk or ride a bicycle along a road on account of things like that.
Go hiking in an area or swimming because of dangerous animals. If you were in area that was once a war zone, can't tread in a lot of areas because of unexploded mines or ordnance. Animals can include sharks, bears, poisonous snakes, jellyfish, stingrays, ticks, mosquitos, dangerous marine life. This could even extend to plants such as poison ivy, poison oak, poison sumac, nettles.
You as a woman can't travel or go many places alone that a man can because of people around that might like to rape you or do other bad things to you.
I read in many gated communities, subdivisions, and the like where they have Homeowner's associations, if you wanted to make changes in your house or do something to your yard, you have to go before some architectural committee before you can make the changes.
Something about when a disaster strikes, especially a flood but it can be other things such as tornados, hurricanes, earthquakes, etc. Especially in the case of a flood, depending on where you are, you are forced to evacuate even if you are in spot that I would call it "work out" (this is hard to explain but you know what I mean). There is only a foot of water in your yard, you have no basement, the water is not even up to the first floor, there is a way out roadwise but they still make you have to evacuate. It is even more hateful when you have to stay in some horrible evacuation shelter like the one in New Orleans during hurricane Katrina.
There are streams like the Nantahala River in North Carolina that even to wade in them you have to wear a lifejacket. There are places that if you want to swim you have to wear a lifejacket and they are on the increase. The disease is spreading just like the bedbug plague.
When you are swimming or wanting to swim across a channel or river or small lake, whatever it might be to get to the other side and it is not the usual area where people swim, if someone, lets say in a boat or on shore, they will come up to you and say something. The same applies for hiking or backpacking alone, many other things. I remember once when I was hiking up to the top of Mount Washington in New Hampshire, I wore sandals on my feet all the way up to the top (they recommend you wear these "high hiking boots" as I call them--the one which are supposed to give you support). Of course the sandals were not just any old sandals either. They had better footing and grip on the rocks than many hiking boots and they had very secure straps (I would not wear many brands of sandals or especially never wear flip-flops up the mountain). I did want to make one piece of advice: I learned if I wanted to wear these sandals up the mountain, I'd better carry an extra pair of suitable shoes in case one of the straps on the sandals breaks.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 25 Aug, 2011 11:38 am
I haven't read the whole thread, so pardon me if someone has already posted my own particular gripes -

I read all of my news online. While I occasionally will want to watch a video, I generally don't want to. Some websites leave it to you to click on the video's start arrow. Many do not. I get highly irritated when I'm reading text, often am fairly far into the text, and some news anchor starts loudly proclaiming from the video.

That happened just now on a Huffington Post news bit. I didn't even know there was a video, because it was placed downpage of two or three paragraphs of print.
So, along comes the blast. (My computer sound is set to the average level I like for most sound items.) I scroll to find the video or ad, search to find the shut off marker, and finally the woman quiets down. By that time, I've near forgotten what the news was about in my effort to get rid of her voice.

Most of the sports websites I follow do the same thing, and I have to play find-the-video and shut it off.

It's especially funny when I am following some sports game online, while also keeping up with, say, my email and a2k and reading google news, so that the game gets "hidden" behind other windows. Every fifteen minutes or so, I hear the sports page start yelling again and have to go find it and shut it up.

I've learned to shut my sound off when I'm online watching sports channels, but have to put it on again if I might want to hear something in another window - perhaps from the WA2K radio thread.

Grrrrr. I demand CHOICE for Video sound to be run as the default. Surprise Ad Noise is similarly aggravating.

I'm very glad a2k's developers don't do that with ads.

0 Replies