Why can't I go back and edit a post from two days ago?

Reply Mon 1 Aug, 2011 11:43 am
I just learned how to insert images into a post. I had hoped to go back and insert them into a post I made two days ago. When I try, I get the message "You Can't Edit This Post Now". How do I proceed from here? Must I copy it, paste it to a new post, put in the images, and then delete the first post? Can I even do that, delete a post? This is a learning journey, isn't it? I got nice, prompt answers to my previous questions, so I am hopeful that I will once again be so blessed.

View best answer, chosen by Dave World
George
  Selected Answer

Reply Mon 1 Aug, 2011 11:52 am
@Dave World,
One thing you might try is to return to the thread and, in a new post,
quote the relevant passages with the accompanying images.
0 Replies

parados

Reply Mon 1 Aug, 2011 11:53 am
@Dave World,
You only have a few minutes in which to edit or delete a post. I'm not sure of the exact time. Perhaps 2 minutes.

In the past we used to have unlimited time to edit a post but it often led to people changing their posts after they had been responded to which in turn meant people were always copying complete posts to show they really did read what was posted. Whether to prevent strife or to save on storage or some other reason, the edit function was changed to it's current form
ossobuco

Reply Mon 1 Aug, 2011 12:46 pm
@parados,
It's longer than two minutes, but I've not timed it.
roger

Reply Mon 1 Aug, 2011 02:21 pm
@ossobuco,
Used to be 5. Robert says it's now 15 minutes, unless replied to.

He also says it was a spammer's trick to post something innocuous, and return after the post was buried to insert the spam link. Nobody ever saw it, but posting the link raised the google rating of whatever the link referred to.

I once replied to a post that was so inaccurate it wasn't even wrong. The OP then changed it to something vaguely rational. That was back when we had no limits to editing. I am glad we made the changes.
Reyn

Reply Mon 1 Aug, 2011 02:44 pm
@Dave World,
I see others have answered you already.

Welcome to the forum!
0 Replies

Krumple

Reply Mon 1 Aug, 2011 02:49 pm
@Dave World,
Dave World wrote:

I just learned how to insert images into a post. I had hoped to go back and insert them into a post I made two days ago. When I try, I get the message "You Can't Edit This Post Now". How do I proceed from here? Must I copy it, paste it to a new post, put in the images, and then delete the first post? Can I even do that, delete a post? This is a learning journey, isn't it? I got nice, prompt answers to my previous questions, so I am hopeful that I will once again be so blessed.

I would have thought you would be aware that you can't go back in time. I think we all would like to go back 2 days ago to add or correct something of our past. You will just have to cope with it like the rest of us.
Reyn

Reply Mon 1 Aug, 2011 02:54 pm
@Krumple,
Dave is new and he's still learning the forum.

We don't mind answering his questions.
Krumple

Reply Mon 1 Aug, 2011 02:55 pm
@Reyn,
Reyn wrote:

Dave is new and he's still learning the forum.

We don't mind answering his questions.

Yeah, it was a joke...
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 1 Aug, 2011 03:02 pm
@roger,
Me too, glad that is. I've had it go to as long as fifteen, by my timing instincts, which are pretty good (to date) but I thought it was because I had clicked edit and gotten to it in time, and once doing that, had some thinking/fixing leeway.

I know I've edited after someone has responded, as my posts suffer from strange grammaritis due to a mix of fast typing and often failed editing, but I suppose that has been within the five minutes range.

edit (ha) - Robert's timing makes good sense.
0 Replies