Reply Thu 5 Dec, 2002 08:44 pm
Montreal City Hall @ http://www.pbase.com/image/8417161/original

Just above Place Jacques Cartier in the heart of the old city.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 2 • Views: 4,680 • Replies: 8
No top replies

Algis Kemezys

Reply Fri 6 Dec, 2002 08:40 pm
If you come to Montreal, don't forget to try our Poutine, St Viatuer bagels and Swartz's smoked meat .Breakfast at Beauties, Mishmash and Maple syrup baked beans. Later try a Wilensky sandwhich. Walk the old town and Mount Royal Cemetery too. Tour our underground village connecting the city to you.
0 Replies

JoanneDorel

Reply Fri 6 Dec, 2002 10:32 pm
Been there done that, my first trip to Canada was a week in October 1984, the weather was warm, the city was warm and beautiful. The people were so nice and the food, the food was out of this world.
0 Replies

Algis Kemezys

Reply Sat 7 Dec, 2002 10:18 am
We've glamorized our city even further since then, Joanne. Now it's both really cosmopolitan and old apothecary. See it again for the first time.
0 Replies

JoanneDorel

Reply Sat 7 Dec, 2002 11:35 am
Would love to visit again but now I am way down here in Tejas. The to Montreal trip was just so wonderful all the way around. Drove from D.C. to NYC did some business then followed the Hudson as far as I could North, with a side trip to Cooperstown and Albany NY (wonderful architecture in Albany) then on to Canada. And that is how I fell in love with NY the state.

But Montreal, oh the beauty and of course the luck of warm weather in October. I went to the underground and wondered it seemed for hours, and to the top of the mountain (cannot remember the name) with the panoramic view of the city. It is hard to believe it is even better.

The shock of the whole trip was I over stayed and had to get home in one day, it only took twelve hours to drive from Montreal to D.C.! I was raised in the South Western US where it can take more 12 hours or more to travel out of a state, for instance 12 hours or more from San Diego to San Francisco/

The best thing was the people of Montreal, they were fantastic, they would start out speaking French and when I said I am from the US the switched effortlessly to English and with no accent at all. I will forever be impressed with that.

This fall I am thinking about planning a trip to NY and Boston maybe I can manage a trip to your great city too.
0 Replies

Algis Kemezys

Reply Sat 7 Dec, 2002 01:18 pm
That sounds wonderful JD. Unfortunately/Fortunately , I will not be here to guide you myself.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sat 7 Dec, 2002 01:22 pm
Leave a key under the mat, Algis. We'll find our way around!
0 Replies

JoanneDorel

Reply Sat 7 Dec, 2002 11:09 pm
Wow, Beth eh, does that mean you will go with me to Montreal?
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sat 7 Dec, 2002 11:15 pm
It's about 5 hours by train from here, JoanneD - and it's been on my mind quite a bit lately. I was trying to get a friend or two from Boston to head that way - meet in the middle!

Setanta and I were also talking about Montreal this afternoon - he'd really like to spend some time there (show off his French :grin: ). Looks like there could be a little trip to Montreal in our futures. Don't count out a get-together.
0 Replies