Toronto City Councillor Doug Ford Is Correct

djjd62

Reply Wed 27 Jul, 2011 04:20 pm
i probably couldn't pick Margaret Atwood out of a line up of crazy haired cat ladies either

Atwood, waging a war against cuts to city libraries, elicited the response from Ford, "I wouldn't know Margaret Atwood if I tripped over her", fans of the author were outraged

many now say that Ford is trolling the Left and they took the bait

if that's the case, i say, good for you Mr. Ford

Atwood is a fine writer (so i'm told), but that alone doesn't deserve any sort of reverence
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 4 • Views: 4,059 • Replies: 26
No top replies

ehBeth

Reply Wed 27 Jul, 2011 04:28 pm
@djjd62,
It's not her novels that are interesting (and getting the Ford family's goat). It's the respect she's been getting from economists in the last few years. She's been writing and speaking about personal (and government) debt to great effect. Economists and journalists from the right and left are referencing her work.

It turns out that she's more than a one-trick pony.

(listen to her Massey lectures. interesting stuff)

She also knows more about Toronto than either of the Fords. Neither of them has apparently ever lived in the actual city. I wish I could express how truly deeply they both disgust me.

disclaimer: I'm not a fan of fiction she's written after her first or second book, and her voice eeeeeeeehhhhhhhhhhhh
djjd62

Reply Wed 27 Jul, 2011 04:33 pm
@ehBeth,
i have no love for their politics, and closing libraries is just wrong

but for many reasons he should never have had to address the issue beyond his original comments , i mean it's not like he was caught driving and using a cell phone or gave the finger to some woman and her kid Wink
ehBeth

Reply Wed 27 Jul, 2011 04:35 pm
@djjd62,
you know what really bugs me is that Doug Ford is a councillor. he was not elected to represent the city. he's no more representative of the community's views than any other councillor.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Wed 27 Jul, 2011 04:35 pm
@djjd62,
just heard that about Rob

another mug shot for the collection?
Irishk

Reply Wed 27 Jul, 2011 04:57 pm
@ehBeth,
I have several of her books on my to-be-read list. The last one was Year of the Flood. She's a YA writer, no?
djjd62

Reply Wed 27 Jul, 2011 05:25 pm
@Irishk,
not really, a few of her novels are about dystopian futures, A Handmaid's Tale, the only book i ever started reading, is an interesting story (i saw the movie)
tsarstepan

Reply Wed 27 Jul, 2011 05:28 pm
@djjd62,
Well I couldn't say I have ever heard of John Doe ... I mean Doug Ford before this.

I could easily recognize the award winning Canadian author from another side of a crowded ballroom (if I ever been in a crowded ballroom in my life). And I'm bloody American! We're not supposed to know anything or anyone famous from Canada (although that might be a tad oxymoronic a sentiment).

Mr. Ford should shove a lit stick of dynamite up his tuchas in lieu of an apology. Mad
Irishk

Reply Wed 27 Jul, 2011 06:32 pm
@djjd62,
Oh, I forgot about that one! It was good! I'll have to put it in the line-up for a re-read lol.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Wed 27 Jul, 2011 07:52 pm
@djjd62,
Quote:
i probably couldn't pick Margaret Atwood out of a line up of crazy haired cat ladies either

Atwood, waging a war against cuts to city libraries, elicited the response from Ford, "I wouldn't know Margaret Atwood if I tripped over her", fans of the author were outraged

many now say that Ford is trolling the Left and they took the bait

if that's the case, i say, good for you Mr. Ford

Atwood is a fine writer (so i'm told), but that alone doesn't deserve any sort of reverence.

I'm a little confused, dj, as to why you appear to be congratulating Mr Ford.

Admittedly I don't know the details of this situation, but I congratulate anyone who fights cuts to public libraries. The more access to books the better, I say! (Bravo, Margaret!)
Public libraries are often the only place that the less well-off can gain access to books & other reading & listening matter. Money spent on them is money well spent, in my book! Wink

But back to Margaret Atwood.
I confess, I'm one of those who "revere" her. For her talent, her intelligence & her commitment to her craft.
I believe I've read every single novel she's written, over the years.
When the next one is published, I'll rush out & buy that one, too!

msolga

Reply Wed 27 Jul, 2011 08:07 pm
@tsarstepan,
Agreeing with you, tsar.
She is one of Canada's best known & admired citizens, word-wide.
How an city official in Toronto could not know who she is is a mystery to me. Confused
(Not that she should be treated with more reverence or respect than anyone else, mind ..)

Quote:
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Margaret Eleanor Atwood, CC, OOnt, FRSC (born November 18, 1939) is a Canadian poet, novelist, literary critic, essayist, and environmental activist. She is among the most-honoured authors of fiction in recent history; she is a winner of the Arthur C. Clarke Award and Prince of Asturias award for Literature, has been shortlisted for the Booker Prize five times, winning once, and has been a finalist for the Governor General's Award seven times, winning twice.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Margaret_Atwood
ehBeth

Reply Wed 27 Jul, 2011 08:10 pm
@msolga,
msolga wrote:

How an city official in Toronto could not know who she is is a mystery to me. Confused

our current mayor and his brother Doug take pride in being obtuse rednecks - which has an obvious appeal to a good part of the voting public
tsarstepan

Reply Wed 27 Jul, 2011 08:13 pm
@msolga,
A full disclosure is in order. She is one of my all time favorite writers.
msolga

Reply Wed 27 Jul, 2011 08:15 pm
@ehBeth,
Oh I see, ehBeth.
And that appealed to voters.
That's pretty unfortunate.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Wed 27 Jul, 2011 08:16 pm
@Irishk,
Is Cat's Eye on your list, Irishk?
It's just wonderful!
msolga

Reply Wed 27 Jul, 2011 08:18 pm
@tsarstepan,
Quote:
A full disclosure is in order. She is one of my all time favorite writers.

Me, too! Smile
0 Replies

roger

Reply Wed 27 Jul, 2011 08:18 pm
@tsarstepan,
Well gee, Stepan.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 27 Jul, 2011 08:50 pm
@Irishk,
What's a YA writer?
Irishk

Reply Wed 27 Jul, 2011 10:13 pm
@msolga,
msolga wrote:
Is Cat's Eye on your list, Irishk?
It's just wonderful!
Yes! Also have Oryx & Crake (which I started, then stopped to read the Martin Fire & Ice books, but I like it a lot!!)
Irishk

Reply Wed 27 Jul, 2011 10:14 pm
@ossobuco,
ossobuco wrote:

What's a YA writer?
Young adult.