Can genocide ever be justified?

Reply Tue 26 Jul, 2011 08:18 am
In the two book Commonwealth Saga, a work of science fiction by Peter F. Hamilton. The human race is threatened with genocide by it's militant and uncompromising alien enemy, the Primes. The ongoing debate throughout the books is whether the Commonwealth government should try and convince the alien enemy to a brokered peace (a truly Herculean task if not an impossible one at that) or commit genocide against the enemy alien race. I'm not going to discuss the book or give away spoilers. Nor do I want to read any spoilers from the book in this thread. I haven't finished reading the second book and I don't want the books ruined for anyone else either.

Given another alternative hypothetical and the technological level to carry it through, can the act of species level genocide be justified if it is to prevent a reciprocal genocide of humanity it return?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 3 • Views: 2,099 • Replies: 4
No top replies

Fido

Reply Tue 26 Jul, 2011 08:25 am
@tsarstepan,
Injustice is always justified... Justice needs no justification because all accept it is right when it is done... But we do Genocide not because it is just or injust, but out of fear of those killed, that by numbers or intelligence they will roll over us and destroy us...
0 Replies

Fido

Reply Tue 26 Jul, 2011 10:28 am
@tsarstepan,
If you want to read a real fun book; try The Iron Dream, by Norman Spinrad, I believe... I no longer own a copy, but it is made to seem as though written by Adolf Hitler who never became the leader, and instead wrote science fiction... He has these characters like Doms, and Lizard Skins; products of past nuclear wars... And the funny thing is that you can actually begin to see them in the street and take the Arian side of things... And is that so bad??? Well; in a word, yes... People have lost the feud which was a way people had of accomodating each other, and at the same time keeping themselves hard and sharp, very much, on their guard... When the Germans presumed that war was the natural condition of mankind they were only in part correct...With the feud, people were able to limit their populations, keep themselves genetically strong, keep justice and morality always in the front of their thoughts, and constantly nurture the elements essential to democracy and strong communities... Laws in forcing peace promoted injustice, but primitive people always jumped at the promise of law -of justice with peace because they did not forever have to be on their guard... But what was of short term benefit ended always in wide spread injustice that spread out of nation states and has literally swept the world... Most of what was done to the Jews, for example, was done with the force of law behind it... Law in the end provided only token resistence to war or injustice...

So; the answer to your question would have to be: what is a foreign people, or race as opposed to what is an alien enemy??? When cultures clash only one wins... When species clash, one becomes servant and the other master unless the servant will not be mastered...
0 Replies

hamilton

Reply Tue 26 Jul, 2011 10:30 am
@tsarstepan,
of course it can. just read ender's game.
0 Replies

nothingtodo

Reply Fri 21 Dec, 2012 06:06 pm
@tsarstepan,
Always we lock down the shielding mechanisms to take blows from both directions, majority vote for extermination or not.

We pain against our own sides. Rear rank contains the endgame.
0 Replies